The humble vanilla bean. I love it dammit.

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Risen
Novice

Re: The humble vanilla bean. I love it dammit.

Post by Risen »

Ive made some killer sippin vanilla rum using 2 split beans per bottle and sugar to taste. You just gotta keep trying it until you find the amount of flavor that you like.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Risen wrote:Ive made some killer sippin vanilla rum using 2 split beans per bottle and sugar to taste. You just gotta keep trying it until you find the amount of flavor that you like.
That is correct, everyones tastes are different. I found it interesting because I took some scotch that I put a whole vanilla bean in for two weeks and the people that tasted it really liked it at opening day of boating season but several commented on the vanilla flavor!
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

emptyglass wrote:Hmmm, I'd been thinking of trying that.

Whislt perusing the shelfs in the supermarket, looking for coconut essence for the wifes "bailies" (made with some UJSM, none of that scotch stuff) I chanced upon a lonley vanilla bean, in a packet all by itself. No friends. No mother or father.
I considered adopting this bean as my own. If it wasn't for the princly sum of $5 for a single bean I would have.

I will now endevor to secure a bean for my own self indulgent reasons.

Has anyone tried one in some burbon?
Thinking of getting some spices for amaretto.
herbsupplies.com.au, vanilla beans, around four bucks for five, ninety bucks for a hundred and thirty aprox (500 g), no doubt plus postage and packing.
Probably a lot fresher than from a place that doesn't sell many.
The Baker
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Like MK, I never gave the thread a second look. I too got some vanilla from Ebay and added 2 whole beans to a ½ Gal of UJSSM/Sweetfeed blend I had ageing. Gotta say, after only a few days, its friggin awesome... :thumbup:

Thanks for bumping the thread guy's... :clap:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
KY1792
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by KY1792 »

Same here, never knew those fresh beans smelled so tasty, after reading this thread went on eBay and bought 20 to experiment with. Just received them and the smell was delicious, even permeating the vacuum sealed bag they came in.

All I can say is the experience has been pure Pavlovian.
Titus-a-fishus
Swill Maker

Post by Titus-a-fishus »

Tried it ..... liked it
Will be using vanilla beans regularly from now on

Thanks Guys

TAF
We haven't got the money so now we have to think
Build it, don't buy it
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

So does it seem like most of you will use the vinellla for your daily stock or just in a few select bottles a couple times Year?

Also, are there any noticeable changes in the mouthy feel? I noticed that mule commented on how it smoothed out the bite after only a day.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

I use the bean mostly for special drinks, like my cherry stuff. I will use it in some of my rum. I enjoy how each of my recipes have a different taste profile and often consume several different ones each evening. I like the variety, so I don't want vanilla in everything.

I tend to agree with mule that it does smooth things out a bit. In my experience macerating beyond a week is unecessary.

I've used it both in the vapor stream and macerating in the alchol and really can't decide which I prefer. In the vapor stream the flavor is more subtle.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

LWTCS wrote:So does it seem like most of you will use the vinellla for your daily stock or just in a few select bottles a couple times Year?

Also, are there any noticeable changes in the mouthy feel? I noticed that mule commented on how it smoothed out the bite after only a day.
Yes, a few here say they cut and clean the vanilla bean. My personal taste is that it is very strong and since vanilla beans are fairly expensive I do not cut them and I also reuse them. I found one week is long enough for the vanilla flavor to enter the flavor. I then save the used bean and if I am doing a larger quantity I will add one new one to used ones or I will use them for Kaluha later. I took a sample to friends without telling them what was in it but they guessed the vanilla right away. I told them I infused it in some store bought liquor because I didn't like its original harsh taste.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Good info you 2.

I'll be looking to install the kind of notes that an unschooled taster might say "hey, what is that?" rather than automatically recognizing the vanilla notes right off that bat. Know what I mean?

Course it's pretty hard to not know what vanilla taste like unless ya just never tasted it :ebiggrin:
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
staggerlee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by staggerlee »

I just tried some tahitian vanilla beans in a birdwatchers and some ujssm. I split one 5" bean down the middle and put both halves in each quart (about five of them @ 65%). After one week, the flavor in the birdwatchers was perfect. After two weeks, the ujssm (that's been on some white oak) came out very nice also. Definitely my new favorite for the moment. :thumbup:
whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whiskymonster »

after the last batch of amaretto, i decided to make a vanilla/ almond infusion. whole bean, and a good tablespoon ground almonds into about half a pint of neutral. left it for a week or so, and came to the conclusion that the amaretto can sod off!

im putting this stuff straight into my coffee!

j
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...
RumRaider
Swill Maker

Post by RumRaider »

I like vanilla to start with and have some new rum I was thinking about adding vanilla extract to. Glad you started this thread :clap: :clap: . I just went online and ordered some bourbon vanilla beans (found them at amazon for $7.12US for 16 beans and free shipping). Can't wait to give it a try!
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

I just added another half a bean to some raunchy spiced rum that doesn't want to age! Hopefully the mighty bean will do the trick.
I do all my own stunts
crazyk78
Swill Maker

Post by crazyk78 »

Hi guys...just been doing a bit of research on the different bean types and there is no way i'm going to my local store to buy them. $6 ea!! :thumbdown:

I found a website that also has an ebay store. They sell both the Bourbon and Tahitian bean.

What are your thoughts out there of each?

Thanks,
HolyBear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HolyBear »

I'm not sure what kind I have...went to the local hippy heathfood store and baught 10 fer 12$ sounds like I got a good deal...they really do smooth out tha bite, and nice after taste too....
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
BrooklynTech
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BrooklynTech »

We have them growing wild in the mts here and in my shade house, but no more the bug to pollinate them. :( :roll:
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

BrooklynTech wrote:We have them growing wild in the mts here and in my shade house, but no more the bug to pollinate them. :( :roll:
I'd love to see them in the wild.
I do all my own stunts
BrooklynTech
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BrooklynTech »

blind drunk wrote:
BrooklynTech wrote:We have them growing wild in the mts here and in my shade house, but no more the bug to pollinate them. :( :roll:
I'd love to see them in the wild.
vines and flower bud. I'll have to look for a flower picture. Got one somewhere on this dam computer.

http://www.waianaecrider.com/Whiskey/VanellaVine.JPG
Anemephistus
Novice

Post by Anemephistus »

Love it in rum. I usew madagasscar burbon vannila beans. The burbon part is about the area the beans are from but they are really great !
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Wow, this thread has been resurrected. I still like to add a vanilla bean in a lot not all of my product as it does smooth things out a bit plus I like the hint of flavor.
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

+1 for the vanilla bean, I also use it once in awhile. I had some UJ that I did some oaking on, with some overly chard (burnt) sticks, added a bean and let it set for six months, It turned out fine, not great but good, it is used to mix with coke!
It is what you make it
crazyk78
Swill Maker

Post by crazyk78 »

It's probably been discussed but would you get much flavour in macerating it in neutral? would you get nice flavours?

I was thinking of trying a cinnamon stick and vanilla bean in neutral.
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

Go for it! You can do a small amount and see if you like, then do a bigger batch, you are the only that can tell if its good or not! :thumbup:
It is what you make it
crazyk78
Swill Maker

Post by crazyk78 »

hmmm come on vanilla bean hurry up and get here !!
Opdog
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Opdog »

I’m bumping this thread to see if anyone has had success with vanilla beans in the vapor path. I just made a drop in screen to try some vapor infusions on my flute. I have a strip run of Shady’s Sugar Shine that needs to be run soon. I think my wife would really like a smooth vanilla “vodka” to go with her Pepsi or as a base for some of her girly drinks. I’m not opposed to macerating it, but would like to try out my new toy. My concern is that it might come off bitter this way.
I've stopped fighting my inner demons. We are on the same side now.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Opdog wrote:I’m bumping this thread to see if anyone has had success with vanilla beans in the vapor path. I just made a drop in screen to try some vapor infusions on my flute. I have a strip run of Shady’s Sugar Shine that needs to be run soon. I think my wife would really like a smooth vanilla “vodka” to go with her Pepsi or as a base for some of her girly drinks. I’m not opposed to macerating it, but would like to try out my new toy. My concern is that it might come off bitter this way.
I have not heard anyone trying this, are you adding the vanilla bean whole or cutting it up?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Opdog wrote:I’m bumping this thread to see if anyone has had success with vanilla beans in the vapor path. I just made a drop in screen to try some vapor infusions on my flute. I have a strip run of Shady’s Sugar Shine that needs to be run soon. I think my wife would really like a smooth vanilla “vodka” to go with her Pepsi or as a base for some of her girly drinks. I’m not opposed to macerating it, but would like to try out my new toy. My concern is that it might come off bitter this way.
Sometimes you have to be the first, so just do it.
Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copperhead road »

scarecrow wrote:I make a whiskey that has a 2" stick of vanilla bean, a teaspoon of pure maple syrup and a handfull of raisins per 4 litres of 65%.
Must admit, it's expensive but sooooo much better than vanilla essence.
It is nice to drink straight and the vanilla really comes out when mixed with coke.
It was an attempt to get a JD type sweet whiskey. It's now my "special occasion" sippin whiskey. :D
As for Bourbon - I don't flavour that with anything except charred oak.

scarecrow
I am keen to give that a crack scarey.... :think:

How long do you leave the vanilla bean in the 4 litres of spirit?
Never mistake kindness for weakness....
Opdog
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Opdog »

Bushman wrote: I have not heard anyone trying this, are you adding the vanilla bean whole or cutting it up?
The screen is pretty only about 4” deep and sits in a 2” down comer above my condenser. I’m thinking that the beans should be chopped into relatively large pieces so as to not clog the screen with the inside goop from the beans once they get saturated.

I’ll give it a try next weekend and let you know how it goes.
I've stopped fighting my inner demons. We are on the same side now.