Filtering with activated carbon?

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

toofastcomet
Novice

Re: Filtering with activated carbon?

Post by toofastcomet »

Below is some research I located reading up activated carbon. This was produced from the University of Louisville in 1943! It's a pretty thorough study on using it specifically on whiskey.
http://distillers.tastylime.net/newSite ... /index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Cliff Notes: heating up 1 liter of whiskey with .4grams of activated carbon, shaking for 30 minutes improves taste.

I tested this myself with .4 gram (1/4 of 1/4 of a teaspoon) of activated carbon in a quart of 110proof. Such a small amount you'd think it would do nothing. I shook it by hand for 30 minutes (watching tv). Taste test comparison against non-treated showed significant improvements in smoothness. Unfortunately I had done this after oak aging and it took some color with it. I currently have another test in progress in which I did the above treatment on a quart of 120proof. I'm then aging it along with another non-treated quart, both with the same qty of toasted oak for 3 weeks. I'll get some buddies to do a blind taste to see if there's a difference.
toofastcomet
Novice

Post by toofastcomet »

Blind tasting completed.
Test: 3 testers blindly sampling 3 different whiskeys
3 Liquors tested were all 110 proof corn sugar spirit aged 3 weeks with American and French toasted oak chips:
1. no carbon filtering
2. filtered (before aging) with 1.2 gram of carbon per pint for 30 minutes while shaking
3. filtered (before aging) with .15 gram of carbon per pint for 30 minutes while shaking

Results:
All three testers preferred liquor #2, stating it was the smoothest. Did not note any undesired reduction in notes or flavors. Liquor #3 was the next preferred. Due to filtering before aging, color and wood was not affected.

Personally, I will be implementing this step from now on.
Due51
Swill Maker

Post by Due51 »

I filter all my neutral. When I first started, I didn't because everyone said you shouldn't have to if you "have a good still" or are "doing it right." I'm not a seasoned pro, but I know what I like and what I don't. After many tries, I learned about carbon filtering and my product has improved tremendously. I just took a sniff of the last batch I bottled and it's lovely.

After I distill and make my cuts, I pour what I'm keeping into a big glass jar and add a cup or so of Liquor Quik Acid Washed Stone Carbon. I shake the jar a couple times a day for a couple days. Then I filter it through a rig I made up with 2 plastic tonic bottles and coffee filters. It's sort of a two stage system which drips about 1 drop per second.

Here's an invaluable piece of information that answers all your questions about carbon filtering.
http://homedistiller.org/activated_book1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

EDIT: One thing I forgot to add: The article I linked above instructs you to dilute your product to 42-50% before filtering. I suggest NOT doing that. You're supposed to saturate the carbon with water prior to filtering your neutral. If you dilute to 42-50%, you will pick up that remaining water held up in the carbon, further diluting your stuff - possibly below 40%. I send it through full strength. When I'm done filtering the ethanol, I pour clean spring water through the filter. That water comes out at about 15% ABV. I use it to add to my product when I'm preparing to dilute to bottling strength.
Those who stay...
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

So you leave high proof alcohol sitting in plastic bottles for extended periods of time?
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On
Due51
Swill Maker

Post by Due51 »

That's an important point I should clarify. The procedure involves saturating the filter bed with boiling water, followed by ethanol right away (before the water runs out). When I pour ethanol into the rig, the ethanol is diluted istantly.
Those who stay...
Granny
Novice

Post by Granny »

This might sound crazy, but when I read about Nuclear Whisky, this might not be that crazy.

I know a better recipe doesn't need activated carbon, but I'm using up some old Turbo Yeast. I Distilled, then diluted with water and Distilled a second time. "Water is the great purifier" I love that quote. I think Rad said it, but if I'm wrong I apologize to the author. Read it a long time ago and it stuck with me. Diluted it to 40% and added 1/4 cup activated carbon. Shook it multiple times a day for two weeks, strained it 3 times through coffee filters and it was AMAZING! for a neutral. I have two questions, one normal and then the crazy idea.

1. My 40% after being two weeks in the activated carbon came out at 35%. Is that normal? In a mason jar sealed tight. I'm assuming it is and next time I'll put it in at 45-47%. But if I'm wrong, please let me know.

2. The crazy idea. Do I need 2 weeks? Could I put the 1L in a blender with the activated carbon and just mix the shit out of it? Or is time a necessary component of using activated carbon.?

I'll probably try it this afternoon and post my results. My blender is glass, but I can swap in a stainless steel container. I guess that was for keeping margarita's cold? LOL

Thanks for any feedback!

Using a toy still, an air still, but I just purchased a T500 reflux. I know most consider that a toy as well, but I'm moving in the right direction. I did see they sell a big copper head for the T500 to make it a pot still. Expensive though.
A Beast with the Sugar and Yeast! well...maybe some day.
Due51
Swill Maker

Post by Due51 »

1) Yes it is normal. The total surface area of the meso, micro, and macro pores on the carbon hold A LOT of liquid. To counter this, start with a higher ABV when using filter bed. Then, after you filter out your ethanol, pour some clean water onto the filter bed. When you recover that, it'll have a small ABV%. Use it to cut your higher ABV ethanol.

2)I don't recommend the blender idea. The different pores (micro, macro, and meso) are important characteristics of carbon. If you pulverize the carbon, you lose meso and macro pores. Micro pores alone are not big enough to filter out the impurities you're trying to get rid of.
Last edited by Due51 on Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Those who stay...
Granny
Novice

Post by Granny »

Thanks Due51, I appreciate your feedback. I'm still going to try 1L in the blender, but after reading your comments, I'll do it on low, which is not something I thought about. Not trying to pulverize, just mix it. I have a friend who is the manager of a hardware store, but he didn't like my idea of putting it on their paint shaker machine. The blender is an experiment. I'll post my results in a few hours. I really appreciate your comments.
Granny
Novice

Post by Granny »

I also have some silicone tubing which is rated for high test alcohol that I could cut and put over the blades.
Granny
Novice

Post by Granny »

Don't try the silicon tubing.
Due51
Swill Maker

Post by Due51 »

Granny wrote:Don't try the silicon tubing.
:lol: That was quick.
Those who stay...
Granny
Novice

Post by Granny »

Sorry, no Blender blades fit tight. I dry tried it, and it shredded the silicone. Test still going on.
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

Granny wrote:Sorry, no Blender blades fit tight. I dry tried it, and it shredded the silicone. Test still going on.
What you need is something with a softer touch. A magnetic stirrer, a rock tumbler or a lady's special friend.
Granny
Novice

Post by Granny »

Haha Thanks Bagasso! Throw a dildo in it. LOL. This experiment is taking so long I might as well wait the two weeks and shake the jar everyday. Due51 was right and even on low the blender made the activated carbon a fine silt. Taking forever to run through the coffee filters. I'll post the tasting results, but I believe "all good things come to those that wait". Not calling it a failure yet. There's a line from MadMax, "Speed's just a question of money, how fast do you wanna go?" Don't have big distillery money, but I have time.
Granny
Novice

Post by Granny »

DO NOT TRY TO USE ACTIVATE CARBON IN A BLENDER TO SPEED UP THE PROCESS!

Experiment failed!

Due51 was right.

1. filtered it through 3 coffee filters 7 times and it still wasn't 100% clear. Unbleached natural coffee filters, but it still had a slightly yellow hue when you held it up to the light. Weird.

2. Didn't taste great. It was okay.

Not a complete failure, but not worth doing.

Thanks
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

Granny wrote:Due51 was right and even on low the blender made the activated carbon a fine silt. Taking forever to run through the coffee filters.
I was going to say that as well but saw that it had already been posted.
I'll post the tasting results, but I believe "all good things come to those that wait". Not calling it a failure yet. There's a line from MadMax, "Speed's just a question of money, how fast do you wanna go?" Don't have big distillery money, but I have time.
From what I gather, carbon works relatively fast, hours not weeks. What might be happening during those two weeks might not have anything to do with the carbon.
Granny
Novice

Post by Granny »

Bagasso, I believe you are right. Probably could be done quicker, but if I shook the jar that much in one day the next time I go to jerk it, I'd rip my wiener off. LOL
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

Granny wrote:Bagasso, I believe you are right. Probably could be done quicker, but if I shook the jar that much in one day the next time I go to jerk it, I'd rip my wiener off. LOL
I think you misunderstood. The smoothing out that the two weeks accomplishes probably has nothing to do with the shaking or the carbon.
Granny
Novice

Post by Granny »

Sorry, yeah I understand what you mean now. Like second day chili. Thanks!
Greig56
Novice

Post by Greig56 »

So after reading all three pages of this post,,, I'm gonna try a simple product question! I've seen the use of these Brita pop-in fiters recommended or at least suggested, given that they are made of fairly good plastic yea plastic but well packaged AC any thoughts?
Retiring from a working profession. Thinking of making a decent mark on Man's Second Oldest Profession. Fanfare not required!
30Ltr Boiler Keg, Pot Still 3"x24" under 1 1/2"x24" made b4 found this site! 18" Liebig
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Greig56 wrote:So after reading all three pages of this post,,, I'm gonna try a simple product question! I've seen the use of these Brita pop-in fiters recommended or at least suggested, given that they are made of fairly good plastic yea plastic but well packaged AC any thoughts?
NO PLASTICS WITH DISTILLED ALCOHOL. EVER!
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Don't bother, unless you're making fuel for your mower.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

yakattack wrote:
Greig56 wrote:So after reading all three pages of this post,,, I'm gonna try a simple product question! I've seen the use of these Brita pop-in fiters recommended or at least suggested, given that they are made of fairly good plastic yea plastic but well packaged AC any thoughts?
NO PLASTICS WITH DISTILLED ALCOHOL. EVER!
^^^This :evil:
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Misneac
Novice

Post by Misneac »

Question: is there any reason that you couldn't get a jump on things and put some activated carbon in your thumper? To keep the dust down you could use a small cotton or filter paper bag. It might not do a whole lot of good, but if it's just a question of a tsp of carbon in a teabag any return for that amount of effort seems like it would be worth it. Also wondering if anyone knows if this would absorb fusels and maybe make it safe to cut only 40ml per 20l.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Carbon catches some of the nasties. but if it's boiled as in a thumper then the nasties are released again.
Misneac
Novice

Post by Misneac »

Thanks for clearing that up. I may do it anyway, but keep the fore shots at 50ml or better. If it makes product cleaner great, if not it's no big loss.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

If you do things properly you don't need non damned carbon, plain and simple...!!!
Misneac
Novice

Post by Misneac »

I'm expecting to need it since I'm still new at this. Always looking to improve, but my track record as far as "perfection on the first try" goes is pretty poor. I'm gonna plan on screwing up for a while and act accordingly until I know a lot more than I do now.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Misneac wrote:I'm expecting to need it since I'm still new at this. Always looking to improve, but my track record as far as "perfection on the first try" goes is pretty poor. I'm gonna plan on screwing up for a while and act accordingly until I know a lot more than I do now.
I think that's a cop out. It will only delay your learning. If your truly committed, then you do it the right way, and if you truly suck at it the first time, you re run it and try again.

Do it until you get it right, and you well be doing yourself a better justice. You'll learn real quick.

Or you can fuck around with toys that ultimately delay your learning curve - probably for years.

By the way- don't short cut the safety classes here, also. They are less forgiving on those who don't get it right the first time.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Misneac
Novice

Post by Misneac »

I think you misunderstand me. Knowing that I don't know how to do everything perfectly I'm trying to build redundant safety into my processes until I'm confident that I do know exactly what I'm doing. For example, even if I do get everything right on the first try, get my cuts correct, and produce first rate liquor that tastes like Jesus walking through the daisies, I'm still gonna put it through carbon because I have no basis for comparison. After a few more runs, when I've built up enough data to say "if I do X better, then Y is the result" or "If I continue to due X and also do Y, then Z is the result" I'll begin to feel more confident and eliminate some of the extra measures that are there to keep me from going blind, exploding, or ending up with undrinkable crap suitable only to light the BBQ.