Essensce

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Chub

Essensce

Post by Chub »

When using bottled essence How much % product do you use. The bottle just says add 3/4 alcohol then top with water. I would imagine they are talking about diluted product. Is this just a matter of taste, or is there a formula for different drinks? Also one other question when those of you that use carbon and just let the product sit on it for a while is there a formula for that ex. how much carbon for a given amount to be filtered. Thanks Chub
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

Practically all formulas have variables associated with them, but when I carbon filter in the jug I use exactly one "chunk" ...as in chunk it in there. A chunking of carbon is good when you have the time to wait and can give the jug a good shake a few times a day for a week or two.

If your impatient and don't hang around the house much you can always go with an exact "heap" dosage. A heap of carbon will work much faster than a chunk.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
linw
Swill Maker

Post by linw »

A good standard strength for many of us is 40%. A store bought gin is about 47%. It's your grog so you decide.

As for the carbon, Grayson has it about right! You will take from that that there is no critical recipe to follow. How about half a cup (or so!) per litre?
Cheers,
Lindsay.
Captin Moron
Bootlegger

Post by Captin Moron »

I saw on home distiller that most people use one heaping spoonfull for one liter of 40-50%abv spirit. I havent enough expereince to verify this, but I did follow this on my first neuteral batch letting it sit for a week and it turned out nice, not completely tasteless but a nice taste, no off flavours. I think next time ill add abit extra.

I also boiled my carbon first four time, this increases its effectiveness.

Essence recipies are usually added to diluted product.
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

I think there are 4 heaping tablespoons to a chunk. The size of a heap is geographically dependant. :D
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Peachey
Novice

Post by Peachey »

I normally cut my spirit down to 40% before I mix it.
“Power intoxicates men. When a man is intoxicated by alcohol, he can recover, but when intoxicated by power, he seldom recovers.”
Don Ventura
Novice

Post by Don Ventura »

Grayson_Stewart wrote:I think there are 4 heaping tablespoons to a chunk. The size of a heap is geographically dependant. :D
Damn I nearly pissed myself from laughing! Too bad it wont be nearly as funny sober, but thats FUNNY!

----------------------------------------------------------
DAMN I NEED TO PEE!!!
jbrew9999

Post by jbrew9999 »

1/4 cup carbon per qt. works fine. Tasteless after 2 weeks.

Washed carbon is way easier to filter back out of the product.
Stangas

Post by Stangas »

is there a strength that shouldnt be put through a Z-Filter?

If so, is a stronger carbon available?
pothead
Rumrunner

Post by pothead »

Also, is it best to use carbon at a high proof ?
"Be nice to America, or we'll bring democracy to your country."
"The best things in life aren't things."

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge"-Albert Einstein
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

Stangas, you want to cut yer hootch to 80-90 proof to run it through a z filter. same for carbon chunk method... Gert Strand has a great little site that explains carbon filtering. sorry no link, but It should be easy to find...
Swag
Swill Maker

Post by Swag »

Stangas, you want to cut yer hootch to 80-90 proof to run it through a z filter. same for carbon chunk method... Gert Strand has a great little site that explains carbon filtering. sorry no link, but It should be easy to find.
Gert is pretty clear that unless you get your vodka filtered very well (neutral spirit) your flavoring will taste awfull. That's why it's good to get as high a purity as possible when distilling so the carbon doesn't have as much to filter out.
Stripping runs for all your washes then a spirit run with the low wines is the best way to go. A patient and slow spirit run will give you a high quality distillate that will be easy to filter and provide you with a tastless base for whatever you want to use it for.
For a comparison, smell some good vodka and then smell your own finished vodka. If they smell the same you have done good work. If not, it's time to reexamine your methods.
stoker
Distiller

Post by stoker »

-I have too much blood in my alcohol system-
knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

Practically all formulas have variables associated with them, but when I carbon filter in the jug I use exactly one "chunk" ...as in chunk it in there. A chunking of carbon is good when you have the time to wait and can give the jug a good shake a few times a day for a week or two.

If your impatient and don't hang around the house much you can always go with an exact "heap" dosage. A heap of carbon will work much faster than a chunk.
:lol:
... I say God bless you, I don't say bless you ... I am not the Lord, I can't do that ...
Dane Cook
possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

Brainiac's did an experiment with rotgut vodka VS. top shelf...and they used multiple carbon filtrations to try to improve the rotgut. They hired a pro spirit evaluater, and the rating went from topshelf-1st, 6xfiltered rotgut, 5x filtered rotgut...ect.

The moral of the story is that you can make the rotgut less crappy, but you cant make diamonds out of turds (without a geologic timeline and techtonic stresses). :P
Hey guys!!! Watch this.... OUCH!
MyDBear
Swill Maker

Post by MyDBear »

The moral of the story is that you can make the rotgut less crappy, but you cant make diamonds out of turds
I dont care who ya are, that's funny.
Be Patient God aint finished with me yet