Drambui

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Drambui

Post by King Of Hearts »

Does anyone know whats in Drambui or have a good recipe? I have some single malt I made to play with.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Drambui

Post by Bushman »

Here are a few recipes from the Yahoo users group but because it is a secret recipe they are only guesses at how it is made!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Distillers/message/8110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

Bushman wrote:Here are a few recipes from the Yahoo users group but because it is a secret recipe they are only guesses at how it is made!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Distillers/message/8110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I get the honey, but the rosemary is interesting because they would have that on hand beacause of lamb. Coriander sounds good, orange blossom yes, is it that simple? Maybe some cinnamon?
HolyBear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HolyBear »

Sounds like a job for.... da dada DAAA... Sir ODIN!!!!
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

Servings:
26 2626Servings Size
Update.
.Units: US | Metric
.1 (750 ml) bottle johnny walker black scotch
1 1/2 cups mild honey
2 teaspoons chopped dried angelica root
1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
1 slice lemon, zest of, 4 inches
Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a tightly covered container.
Shake several times for the first 24 hours.
After 24 hours, remove lemon zest.
Cover and let stand for 2 weeks in a cool, dark place shaking gently every other day.
Strain through a sieve to remove the angelica and fennel seeds.
cover and let stand in a cool dark place for several months (preferably 6 months).
Pour clear liquid into carafe for drinking enjoymen..
WuWei
Novice

Post by WuWei »

I've been experimenting with honey liquors, with some success I'm told. I've seen a few good posts here, so do some searching.
So I've been writing this up a bit, although ambivalent about revealing trade secrets ;) But here you go:
I start with an Oaked spirit, no need to go into that I hope. About 45% abv
Then I use 5 litre flagons, heat aprox 2 kg honey over double boiler, plus 1/4 litre of light agave syrup is good too
tip honey into flaggon, mostly fill with whiskey
Add 5 g saffron (this is on the drambui web site as an ingredient )
Then a few whole cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, cardamon(just a couple), mace, vanilla pods(~5), pepper, ginger etc ... you have to experiment
Shake every few days for a month
Leave for a month
Rack off the sediment carefully
Leave for a month
Rack again (I run this as a production line once a month or so)
Time seems to be a key component. And avoiding sediment. And getting good, un pasteurised honey
rack yet again
Then blend with tinctures to taste and bottle...it should be golden but completely clear. have a bit of the commercial product for comparison if you wish. Maybe dilute more with straight whiskey - opinions differ on this.

I make lime, ginger, aniseed and ginseng tinctures, amoungst others. this enables you to tune the final taste. Or really stuff something up. Often add 1% or so.
Basically tincture is herbs in 70% spirit for a month or so, then filtered. A whole field of study, but easy to give a go.

Recently tasted drambui, and there is a floral note I haven't worked out yet.

I usually find that people regret asking me how I make something!

W.
Durace11
Distiller

Post by Durace11 »

I had always thought it had heather in it somewhere...maybe it does but the taste is so slight it doesn't register with most drinkers. Rusty Nail is one of my fav drinks so I'll probably be trying out all these recipes at some point with my AG "scotch" base.
Current Evolution:
MrDistiller > 2" potstill > copper 4" perf 4 plate flute

"I seal the lid with Silly Putty, that's OK ain't it ?"
~ kekedog13

"Attach a vibrator to it and hang it upside down. Let it work"
~Mr. P
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

Durace11 wrote:I had always thought it had heather in it somewhere...maybe it does but the taste is so slight it doesn't register with most drinkers. Rusty Nail is one of my fav drinks so I'll probably be trying out all these recipes at some point with my AG "scotch" base.
I seen somewhere about Heather Honey. That recipe Dunder posted must be good cause I see it all over. I'll thro some heather in if I can find it.
Durace11
Distiller

Post by Durace11 »

I got my last batch from here:
http://www.breworganic.com/organicheath ... rs1oz.aspx
it was a 1 lbs bag but I don't remember the price. One lbs last a long time.

I have used several other sites for spices and herbs and received good quality stuff. The heather tips smell awesome, sweet and floral.
Current Evolution:
MrDistiller > 2" potstill > copper 4" perf 4 plate flute

"I seal the lid with Silly Putty, that's OK ain't it ?"
~ kekedog13

"Attach a vibrator to it and hang it upside down. Let it work"
~Mr. P
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hpby98 »

Adding this, haven’t tried, just come across it

http://larderlove.com/scotch-mist-liqueur/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Scotch Mist Liqueur is my own version of the world-famous Drambuie liqueur and is just as tasty and so easy to make
Author: Karon Grieve
Recipe type: Drinks
INGREDIENTS
500ml/1 pint Scotch whisky
½ tsp fennel seeds
½ tsp angelica root
¼ tsp crushed nutmeg
½ star anise
Pinch of saffron
Sprig of fresh rosemary
Strip of orange peel
3 tbsp Scottish heather honey
INSTRUCTIONS
Crush the spices with a mortar and pestle
Chop up the rosemary
Push the Rosemary, orange peel and crushed spices into a half bottle of whisky or pour whisky into a jar and use that
Set aside in cupboard for 4 days and shake every day
Strain through double layer of kitchen roll twice
Add the honey and whisk well
Decant into sterilised bottles and label nicely
Leave for 24 hours before drinking
bastardbrewer
Bootlegger

Post by bastardbrewer »

Durace11 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:23 am I had always thought it had heather in it somewhere...maybe it does but the taste is so slight it doesn't register with most drinkers. Rusty Nail is one of my fav drinks so I'll probably be trying out all these recipes at some point with my AG "scotch" base.
second that (although it is a close one together with an old fashioned, negroni, and sazerac) :crazy: