lemoncello

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rod
Swill Maker

Re: lemoncello

Post by Rod »

I have just made a batch of lemon myrtle as the tree has a lot of new growth

have to find where to get bitter almonds from or apricot kernels
The Friendly Spirit
Asohosy
Novice

Post by Asohosy »

There is a Lemoncello recipe on the parent site that I have been using for a couple of years now. It's a family favorite. Lately I have modified the original recipe from the parent site to have it at 40%abv instead of 25%abv.

In the carribeans where I am we use lime instead of lemon. It is refreshing with a couple of ice cubes even in the summer time.

I find that 6 limes have enough peel for about 1.5 ltr of finish product. Also steeping the peels for days seems excesive. For me sometime in 2 hours my alcohol is completly green (yellow when using lemons) and I am good to go. I start preparing it in midday for an afternoon party.

I have also used a very young white rum instead of neutral. Rum and lime zest marry very well for a very fine drink, "non drinkers" love it.
EuroStiller
Swill Maker

Post by EuroStiller »

Rod

Depending on where you reside will determine how you acquire bitter almonds or apricot kernels. I have only ever been able to find bitter almonds in Italy as they are used in confection, herbal medicines, and liqueur. The rest of them go into the production of bitter almond oil, which in turn becomes almond extract. Some bitter almonds also are used in the synthesis of cyanide. Although most cyanide is made synthetically, some is still made using the bitter almond along with the kernels of certain other drupes.

Apricot kernels can be had at most health food stores in the US. I buy mine at my local health food store. The come in 1-pound bags, refrigerated (to help keep em fresh), for around $5.00. They contain amygdalin, otherwise known as vitamin B-17. They are touted for their anti-cancer properties, just like regular almonds. But be forewarned! Don't kick back and eat the whole bag. While the nice cherry, nutty, bittersweet flavor goes along way in liqueurs and what not, eating 50 or so can kill the average adult male by cyanide poising. In small amounts it is not a problem because the live can process it. In distillation, the cyanide is turned into a gas and all you are left with is the taste. So, local health foods shop first. If not there, look on line. I know they can be had online, just don't overpay, shop around!

Hope that helps!

EuroStiller- The Doctor
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Rod wrote:I make a Lemon Myrtle Liqueur

Pick 30 grams lemon myrtle leaves (no stalks)

Wash in cold water

Add 400 ml straight alcohol (40%)

Leave for 1 week , no more , to steep

Filter thru a fine sieve

Dissolve 200 grams sugar in 400 ml water and boil
Allow to cool

Mix with the lemon myrtle vodka and bottle

Makes about 1 litre

SWMBO just walked in and told me to close my eyes and smell, so being in an adventures mood I did as I was told. The lemon - sadly - smell was incredibly strong from a handful of Lemon Myrtle leaves from a tree where she occaisionally works.

If it ever cools down here, and I can do a plain sugar run, my next Lemoncillo batch will be done with these leaves. They are truly wonderfully lemony (sp) and if you can get some I recommend the buggers.

An interesting thread to read through. Makes you realise why mods get a bit 'funny' about off topic postings. :roll:

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
AquaVitae
Novice

Post by AquaVitae »

My sister volunteers at a horse farm for disabled kids part time, one of the owners is a half italian half argentinian who made some limoncella made from her family recipe that my sister gave me for my birthday, its supposed to help with digestion or so I was told, It was strong but absolutely delicious! It was made with lemon zest along with some other "secret" ingredients/herbs but was by far the best limoncello I have ever tried, I would love to get my hands on that recipe, I've made some before that tasted halfway decent using lemon basil though, it had a nice herbal tinge to it with some lemon complex coming thru with the zest
I beleive there is a reason the ancients frequently referred to it, in thier respective languages, as the water of life.

The Sherf lives just down the road from me...
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

AquaVitae wrote:It was made with lemon zest along with some other "secret" ingredients/herbs but was by far the best limoncello I have ever tried, I would love to get my hands on that recipe, I've made some before that tasted halfway decent using lemon basil though, it had a nice herbal tinge to it with some lemon complex coming thru with the zest
Hey Aqua Vitae, did you ever find out the secret ingredients to the best limoncello you ever had? Regards.
I do all my own stunts
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

It's looking really yellow and slightly cloudy! I was thinking of using either all of the the lemon juice or just some of it to make the sugar syrup with. Is that a bad idea?
I do all my own stunts
seaguy
Swill Maker

Post by seaguy »

This sounded pretty good to me so I started a small batch with about 500ML of BW. I used a recipe found using Google. I added 3 Ponderosa lemons' zest to the BW (187 proof) and will store it dark/cool for 8 to10 days. I will then invert the sugar as per recipe and blend to taste. Sound about right? There are so many variations to this recipe it is obvious that many are making it to personal taste so figured I would too :thumbup: .
2" x 5' Boka, 3/8" coil on 3/4" cold finger, SS 15gal 240v 5.5kw sand element, Tincup's NE555 controller.
seaguy
Swill Maker

Post by seaguy »

Asohosy wrote:There is a Lemoncello recipe on the parent site that I have been using for a couple of years now. It's a family favorite. Lately I have modified the original recipe from the parent site to have it at 40%abv instead of 25%abv.
In the carribeans where I am we use lime instead of lemon. It is refreshing with a couple of ice cubes even in the summer time.
I have also used a very young white rum instead of neutral. Rum and lime zest marry very well for a very fine drink, "non drinkers" love it.
The use of limes sounds pretty good to me. I need to plant a lime tree. Already have an Orange and 2 tangerine trees and they both are good with the BW I make. Might try some rum.
2" x 5' Boka, 3/8" coil on 3/4" cold finger, SS 15gal 240v 5.5kw sand element, Tincup's NE555 controller.
RidgebackDad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RidgebackDad »

Here in California, we have an abundance of Meyer Lemons (which in my opinion is one of the BEST lemons to use for Limoncello). Here is the Limoncello recipe I have been using for the past 6 years:

750 ml 180 proof

7 - 10 lemons (without scars or flaws in the skin if possible, & NO pesticides)
1.5 cups filtered tap water or distilled water (not mineral water)
2 cups pure cane white sugar

Pour the spirits into a wide mouthed glass jar (I have a few one gallon wide mouth jars)
Wash off & dry lemons.
Use a potato peeler to peel just the yellow part of the skin off the lemons. Make
sure you have NO white pith on the back of the peels, because this causes bitterness in the finished liqueur. Make the pieces as large as possible, it will make the straining process easier.
Put the lemon peels in the gallon jar with the alcohol and stir.
Cover tightly and put away in a cool (not cold) dark place for alcohol to extract oils from peels. Let it set for at least 15 days, preferably about 40 days.

Dissolve sugar in water and bring to boil over high heat. Boil for 5 minutes.
Set syrup aside to cool. (Must be cool to cold before adding to the infusion.)
Use a slotted spoon to scoop lemon peels from the infusion and discard.
Strain the infusion through coffee filters to make sure any remaining sediment is removed.
Add the syrup to the alcohol mixture. Mix well.
Return to cool dry place for anywhere from 5 - 40 days to begin mellowing process that combines alcohol infusion with syrup. (I’ve found that about 30-40 days is ideal).
Strain the mixture again through coffee filters again and then transfer into smaller bottles.

Here is a picture of the last batch of Limoncello that I made:
IMG_0715.jpg
seaguy
Swill Maker

Post by seaguy »

It's been 2 weeks soaking the peels in BW so I made the syrup and combined to two for the aging. Took a sneak sip :twisted: I can tell I'm going to like this. A little oil bite but once it marrys this will be tasty :)
DFitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DFitz »

I think I will give this a shot as well if all comes out well for my spirit run next week.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

The consensus around here is the apple pie is great but the lemoncello is the favorite!
seaguy
Swill Maker

Post by seaguy »

Waughth!!!!that lemon oil taste is a bit overpowering. Need to reduce something. alco is around45% so what should I use to reduce that strong lemon oil flavor? Filtered water?
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

If you want to dilute the ABV add filtered water. If you don't want to dilution the abv use some neutral that's diluted to 45%.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

seaguy wrote:Waughth!!!!that lemon oil taste is a bit overpowering. Need to reduce something. alco is around45% so what should I use to reduce that strong lemon oil flavor? Filtered water?
With mine I noticed that with a little time, the lemon oil separates from the mass and floats to the top. You can then scrape it off. Removing the lemon oil will "sweeten" the drink somewhat. You can then add some back, depending on what you like.
I do all my own stunts
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Ok I have to ask. This has been eating at me to ask for a while.

Everything I have seen about making this says to use only the skin. No pith. What I'm wondering is. What if you used the whole lemon. Not cutting it but just putting the whole thing in a jar and covering it with neutral? It will have the skin exposed to the alcohol. And any exposure to the rest of the lemon will ne through the skin. So what are the thoughts about doing this? I've really been thinking about trying it. Just to see.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

I couldn't get the lemons in through the neck of my bottles!

;)

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I was looking at some Meyer Lemons in the store today. They are only about 1 to 1 1/2" in diameter. The bag was about enough to fill one of my half gallon jars. I was really tempted to buy them and try it out. But they were $5 and I don't think I have enough neutral to cover them. Man I need to get on the ball and do some running. I've run out of everything. :evil:
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Mr. P,

Please take care to buy bio grade lemons only. You don't want insecticides on the peel!

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Titus-a-fishus
Swill Maker

Post by Titus-a-fishus »

Most citrus in supermarkets will have a wax of sorts on them.
Makes them look puuuurrrty.
But it needs to come off so you can get the citrus oil.

If you use a zester.
That is a small kitchen utensil with lots of little holes in it.
It will remove the zest without any of the pith.

I use one to make lime vodka
About 4 medium sized limes ..... or in this case lemons, zest them and add the zest to a litre or up to a litre and a half of neutral.
Leave for about two hours and hey presto.... lemoncello.
Strain and bottle.

It's real fast because the zest is small and releases the citrus oil quickly.
Takes the colour out as well and you end up with a pleasant coloured vodka or cello.

TAF
Last edited by Titus-a-fishus on Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We haven't got the money so now we have to think
Build it, don't buy it
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

For an easy Lemonchello recipe I have been using ...

Ingredients: 5 lemons (biologisch), 0.5 liter 95% pure alcohol (neutral), 0.5 liter of water and 400 grams of sugar.

Wash the lemons and peel their peel. Thin, so you don't get over any "inside white". Cut the peels small, add them to 0.5 liter of 95% abv neutral and let this macerate on at room temparture. A bit higher temp or some sun touching the glass are good. Shake every day.

Make from 0.5 liters of water and 400 grams of sugar a syrup. Heat the water, add the sugar, stirr in well and dissolve the sugar. Boil it for 5 minutes, then let it cool down. You normally do this when the maceration is going on for about a week.

When the syrup is cooled down, add it to the alcohol and lemon peels and stirr well. Leave everything in a jarr in the fridge (3 to 7 degrees C) for 1 to 2 weeks. Then filter thru a coffee filter to get the peels out. Server your Lemo out of the fridge or colder.

This drink beats the big names in the industry. I had some friends test it blindly against a few. It is equal to what is made in the artisan way in Sorento, Italy. The real stuff, in other words.

I also had this drink tested by a likker selling website aimed at selling Italian wines & beverages. The owner wanted to know when I could start making deliveries ...

A twist. Originally Lemo is not made from neutral, but from a grain neutral. Close to neutral but not completely. I fractionated some All Bran. That will be my next base for Lemo 2012!

Odin.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

That is the same recipe I found on the internet Odin and I think it is my wife's favorite drink that I make!
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Hi Bushman,

I also found it off the internet. Nothing magical there, but it does give a great drink.

I don't drink liquere and sweetened stuff, but this is the exception.

Odin.
RidgebackDad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RidgebackDad »

The real trick is to store the finished product in the freezer and serve it ICE cold. The simple syrup in the mix will make it syrupy. Before I made my own, I would use Everclear and 100 proof vodka. When I only used 100 proof vodka, the stuff would freeze...

I started making this about 6 years ago and can't keep up with the demand from friends during the summer. Got so many folks that want this stuff that I have them scouring the area for Meyer lemons, so I don't have to. Last year, I had about 80 pounds of lemons brought to my door step.

So far this year, I've seen about 30 pounds of lemons.

RidgebackDad
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

The real trick is to store the finished product in the freezer and serve it ICE cold.
That's how we do it. Yum. Sometimes we add sparkling water to it with ice.
I do all my own stunts
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

blind drunk wrote:With mine I noticed that with a little time, the lemon oil separates from the mass and floats to the top.
Not all lemons cause this to happen,It depends on the variety used.
The best impliment Ive found for removing rind and not getting any pith is called a corn plane or scraper.......its for removing calouses from peoples feet.
They work far better than any potatoe peeler or zester for this job.
Available from Chemist shops.......drug stores you might call them in USA
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Saltbush Bill wrote:
blind drunk wrote:With mine I noticed that with a little time, the lemon oil separates from the mass and floats to the top.
Not all lemons cause this to happen,It depends on the variety used.
My next attempt will be with the Myers. Very limited as to what we get here. They all seem just so generic in the produce departments. The type of lemon is never mentioned. Would love to try lemons from eataly.
I do all my own stunts
RidgebackDad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RidgebackDad »

blind drunk wrote:
The real trick is to store the finished product in the freezer and serve it ICE cold.
That's how we do it. Yum. Sometimes we add sparkling water to it with ice.
I've been adding some Lemon Italian Soda to the lemon cello. Goes down almost too smooth... :lol:
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

That sounds good. We've added some to Prosecco as a before dinner beverage. First few sips were good, then a little cloying for my tastes. Others seemed to enjoy it, but it was their idea after all.
I do all my own stunts