Distress aging with charred oak

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

pro65
Bootlegger

Re: Distress aging with charred oak

Post by pro65 »

Would # 1 common white oak 3/4"x 2 1/4" tongue and grooved used for hard wood flooring work for this. My neighbor owns a flooring company and said that the loggers cut the tree , Take it to the saw mill , and then it is sent to his shop. I can get this from him for nothing ( wish I could get enough to do my great room) :lol: .

Or would this type of wood not work?
Attachments
oak 001.jpg
oak 001.jpg (27.62 KiB) Viewed 15979 times
Moonshine the flavor of the South.
Hack
retired

Post by Hack »

White oak t&g flooring is where I got my oak from. I just snagged a drop off that the flooring guys had left behind on a job. I'd make sure it was an unfinished piece so you don't have to worry about planing off the surfaces.
pro65
Bootlegger

Post by pro65 »

Hack wrote:White oak t&g flooring is where I got my oak from. I just snagged a drop off that the flooring guys had left behind on a job. I'd make sure it was an unfinished piece so you don't have to worry about planing off the surfaces.
From what i have been told no kind of chemicals have been used on this type of wood. It is supposed to be just plain oak.
I had bought a bag of charred chips from a distillery that grinds some of there bourbon barrels and sells it for cooking on the grill. And have done about 8 qts with some good results.

I also tried some in a simple all sugar was ( with turbo yeast) and I think I put the alcohol in to weak because it was a great color but no no no flavor at all. :evil: :(
Attachments
flavors 006.jpg
flavors 006.jpg (36.49 KiB) Viewed 15919 times
Moonshine the flavor of the South.
big worm
Trainee

Post by big worm »

i checked the jars out in the shed again today, its white- no oak by the way. i set the jars up on the shelf in the order the were run 1-10 they been open airing in the dark, coverd with filters sence before thanksgiving. when i put them out there i would not have spit on jars 1-4....now 1-2 are crappy with heads but 3-4 actualy tasted fair 5,6,7,8, were pretty darn good 9,10 a little doggie. i'm going to combine 4-9 and put back out in the natural elements on oak and try to forget them...thats the hard part :roll:
GOT BAIT?
small children left unatended will be sold as bait
bronzdragon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronzdragon »

When I do this, I usually just put the jars in the freezer in the morning and then at dinner take em out. I just put em on my workbench in the garage (that's where my beer fridge is.) But make sure you have a towel down or something to absorb the water, because they'll sweat. As said by several others in this thread, there's no need to stick it out in the sun or on the stove or any such thing. After a few times in and out of the freezer, it'll age it up nicely.

cheers
~r~
"If it weren't for the alcohol, beer would be a healthfood."
black_labb
Novice

Post by black_labb »

a bit of an odd idea, but if you want plenty of temperature change and some movement, what about putting some bottles i the boot/trunk of a car? everytime you drive it moves around, and cars heat up and cool down with the weather/sun on the car. is there a problem with them reaching 35+ degrees in the summer though?

would probably work pretty well. a bit odd explaining why you have 10+ bottles of booze in the trunk of your car though.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Ya I gess if you got rearended that would be a mess. If you have a boat on a bay or a friend that does that works well.

Back in the 49er days the wiskey would be better depending on what kind of ship was carrying around the horn to california.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
nfshiner
Novice

Post by nfshiner »

I am very new to this. I'm really glad I found this site. I recently flavoured two 40 oz bottles of neutral with still spirits bourbon essence. I have been experimenting with putting it in the freezer for a day and then out for a day. It really seems to be mellowing quickly. I also noticed that my favourite brand from the liquor store has an almond aroma so I tried three drops of pure almond extract in each bottle. It now smells like the store bought. I will continue for a few more days to see how this stuff tastes.

Thanks for all the tips posted here. It's a great forum. :D
I'll rise and I'll fall and I'll live on moonshine.
nfshiner
Novice

Post by nfshiner »

I am sitting with two drinks before me. One is Wiser's Deluxe Canadian Whiskey and the other is my homemade concoction. I can't tell the difference. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not! I am happy with it since Wiser's is my wife's favourite and last night I made two drinks for of of the home made stuff and she didn't make a comment so I take it she didn't notice any difference in her drink.

Distress aging definitely smooths it and fast. Ten times in and out of the freezer and I don't see the point in doing it again. This can't get much better. Thanks for all the tips everyone. I have 6 40 oz bottles ready to drink and a wash fermenting. It might soon be party time. :ewink:
I'll rise and I'll fall and I'll live on moonshine.
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

I just toss mine under the house for a year or more, but I've thought about the tree and sail method. Just begging the neighbours/visitors asking, "What the hell is that?" If my nearest neighbour was several miles away I'd try it, but as it isn't the case I just stick to the under the house aging. It works but takes longer.

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

you and me both Blanik,, tried other ways, and just not ageing, just flavoring.
UnclePaul
Bootlegger

Post by UnclePaul »

It is amazing what even just a month with some oak in it will do. I have some sitting back now that I hope not to touch for a year at least, but that will depend on how much I make versus how much I drink.
I just wish I was in the part of the country where I could get some sugar maple to mix in with it too.
DCT
Swill Maker

Post by DCT »

pinto
is 10 sticks per gallon to much on 130proof all bran?
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

10 Sticks per gallon :esurprised:

How big are your sticks?

Try one stick (3/8 x 3/8 x 6) for a month or two sticks for two weeks.

Then evaluate and let your taste buds move on and decide from there......IMO.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
DCT
Swill Maker

Post by DCT »

This process for making aging sticks is easy and rewarding. In 90 day with a ratio of two sticks per 750 ml or 10 to a gallon, it makes nearly a perfect sipping liquor. I have aged some as long as three years this way and the results are great.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

10-4
Never tried that many but it sounded a bit much.

Recon ya gotta try and see.

I ve been alligator charing mine and find that the "less is more" approach has been good to me.

Good luck
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Bro-sephus
Bootlegger

Post by Bro-sephus »

LWTCS, I agree, less is more. I stick per pint is more than enough, and I've found I prefer if I don't alligator char it, but catch end of the oak stick on fire for a couple minutes until it starts to make embers on the end, blow it out, knock off the embers and drop it in still smoking. I rarely leave my oak in the jar for more than a month. If you want, do the freezer-garage distress drill, but try tossing in a tablespoon of sherry or port and if you live up in the Pacific Northwest try a couple strips of madrona bark (at least 1/8" thick and dark like dark chocolate). You won't regret it!!! :thumbup:
You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends' nose.
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

blanikdog wrote:I just toss mine under the house for a year or more, but I've thought about the tree and sail method. Just begging the neighbours/visitors asking, "What the hell is that?" If my nearest neighbour was several miles away I'd try it, but as it isn't the case I just stick to the under the house aging. It works but takes longer.

blanik
try putting it inside a birdhouse to disguise it.
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
KSAguy
Novice

Post by KSAguy »

Help??

I am in an Arabic speaking country and needed to use a student. Asked him to find "white oak" (translated on google?) The wood looks good, I bake it to char it. It gives a nice 'smokey' hint to my rum, BUT..... :problem: there is no color at all??

I am just stillin my 1st corn liqr and I want that nice COLOR???

Thanks
KSAguy

The sign in Arabic (1st Hotel I stayed in) was translated, the English version begins...Dear INMATES... got to love Saudi (the MAGIC KINGDOM) !
Washashore
Distiller

Post by Washashore »

Give it time. It may take a few weeks before noticing any desirable color changes (depending upon air temp, humidity, and fluctuations of both).
Last edited by Washashore on Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's hard to argue with the government. Remember, they run the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, so they must know a thing or two about satisfying women." --- Scott Adams
KSAguy
Novice

Post by KSAguy »

I am in a closed bedroom at 35C ! hot dry

I fluctuate between the frig (1 day) & out

Haven't I read where others report a nice amber color in a day or 2???

:(
KSAguy

The sign in Arabic (1st Hotel I stayed in) was translated, the English version begins...Dear INMATES... got to love Saudi (the MAGIC KINGDOM) !
Barney Fife
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Barney Fife »

A deep char may lead to some color in a week, but otherwise, it will take time.

Want color? Add a wee bit of cola to it.
GuyFawkes
Swill Maker

Post by GuyFawkes »

Or caramel. Nice dark caramel colors it quick
Experience is what you get right after you need it.
Andy Capp
Swill Maker

Post by Andy Capp »

My first effort in aging UJSM for 6 months with charred oak turned out very nice but the next lot which is ready next week is tasting even better. Does the time of year make a difference with bottling? The first batch was bottled in summer and i'm sure it was an afternoon when done. I'm thinking that if i bottle the next lot early morning ( cooler ) then the oak will have pushed out the good stuff and very little flavour gets left behind. I put my stuff near the roof in the shed where it warms during the day and cools of a night. Temps range from 35c to 10c during summer and 20c to -3c during winter.
A hangover is when you open your eyes in the morning and wish you hadn't.
dingoberry
Novice

Post by dingoberry »

anybody oaking any sweetfeed rumsky?
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

dingoberry wrote:anybody oaking any sweetfeed rumsky?
Yep. got a gallon on heavy chared oak at 67% at the moment. As the angels take their cut it will hit oak down to about 60-62 then i'll cut to round 45 probly. A little in a month or so from now and the rest next year (if im a saint) :P
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
hendecp
Novice
Location: Planet Earth, western hemisphere, in the "lower 48"

Post by hendecp »

Andy Capp wrote: I put my stuff near the roof in the shed where it warms during the day and cools of a night. Temps range from 35c to 10c during summer and 20c to -3c during winter.

I'm curious about that. Does a temp change daily for a year good, or make a big difference? How long are you oaking it and are you oaking with strips or in barrels?
Wherever you go, there you are..... But, where am I and how did I get here???
Andy Capp
Swill Maker

Post by Andy Capp »

hendecp
I age my grog in 2lt sherry bottles with half inch oak cubes made from a wine barrel. I char 2 sides only and use 6 per litre. The results i got from 6 months aging ujssm were very good. I will leave the rest to age for 12 months and then compare.
From what i have read, vast daily temp changes will "age" the grog quicker than if left in the basement at a steady temp for the same time period. Nothing will equal 3 years barrel matured in a barn but i am a home distiller and this is what i work with.
My shed roof has no sisalation so the sun quickly heats it up and the cool nights send the temp back down. I also have some bottles from the same batch sitting on the floor for a comparison.
I tried the fridge in and out thing but found it didn't really work for me.
A hangover is when you open your eyes in the morning and wish you hadn't.
baron4406
Swill Maker

Post by baron4406 »

Decided to try and distress aging on some UJSSM, got a gallon jug filled about 4/5 full with about 5 sticks of heavy charred oak. Started on Monday and it started to color the first day out of the freezer. Now its Saturday and its starting to get some nice color, still way too light tho. On a lark I watered down a shot to try it. Keep in mind i left a little heads and tails in this batch to hopefully get some complexity. Less than a week and its totally different already. I was shocked how good it tasted, its actually drinkable right now. I'm gonna distress age for two weeks then let it sit a week. Its totally amazing how well this works!
webfoot
Novice

Post by webfoot »

if you live up in the Pacific Northwest try a couple strips of madrona bark (at least 1/8" thick and dark like dark chocolate)
Should i char that or toss it in green??

W