Alternative to aging....Color

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

WNC-PrivateStock
Novice

Alternative to aging....Color

Post by WNC-PrivateStock »

When I get enough sour mash saved up, I'm going to put some in an oak barrel to age it. I'm also going to keep some clear just because I love the taste of what I'm making now.

However, until then, to put on my bar, I want some that appears to be already oak aged to put in a decanter with some matching shot glasses.

I read on the forum that some people try to fake aged liquor by putting pepsi or coke in it. Does this ruin the taste? How much would one use to color a quart correctly?

Sorry for asking something that is already posted...but I've used the search feature and gone through every page of results without finding it.

Thank you to anyone who can help.
WNC-PrivateStock
Novice

Re: Alternative to aging....Color

I have successfully "colored" my apple brandy this way. I distilled apple wine until I had 80 proof, then I mixed it 1:1 with apple cider, giving me about a 45 proof brandy that was pretty in the decanter and not terribly strong...but it did change the taste a little. Just not sure how to get the color for my corn liquor or my sour mash to look oak aged until I actually get some that is oak aged.
beelah
Trainee

Post by beelah »

You could always "colour" your white dog by making some caramel and add if to your stock..which is basically burned sugar...I have aded this in the past as it adds a bit of body to your aged whiskey and some sweetness...some commercial distillers are allowed to do this...I read a thread about it some time ago...do some research on how to make caramel...easy to do, but also easy to screw up and get really burned, acrid tasting crap....but in the end, it won't taste like Bourbon or Rye or Scotch...just like white dog with caramel in it.....good luck.

Here is a link for you...http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... th+caramel
WNC-PrivateStock
Novice

thank you...I don't really want to change the taste to be like burbon or anything else. I just want it to be pretty sitting in a decanter on the bar.

I'll give the carmel a try.
Washashore
Distiller

Post by Washashore »

Personally, I don't at all like the idea of it. BUT, if you must, add food coloring. Start with equal parts red and yellow, then add some blue a little at a time. The more blue you add the darker it will get.
"It's hard to argue with the government. Remember, they run the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, so they must know a thing or two about satisfying women." --- Scott Adams
WNC-PrivateStock
Novice

Washashore wrote:Personally, I don't at all like the idea of it. BUT, if you must, add food coloring. Start with equal parts red and yellow, then add some blue a little at a time. The more blue you add the darker it will get.
Now why didn't I think of that. My strawberry wine comes out kind of pinkish orange or orangeish pink... straw colored I guess is more accurate. I use red food coloring to make it blood colored so that it actually looks drinkable. Delicious without it...looks delicious with it.

Thank you. :)
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

Why mess with your hootch?
Get some coloured bottles
WNC-PrivateStock
Novice

I've got clear decanters. And I just want a variety of color for them. I want some to have the aged look but won't have any aged for a while...so I'm going to color it just for the looks. Others i'm leaving clear. Why? Just for it to be pretty to look at.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

I read somewhere that you can use St. John's Wort like a tea...to color it with, and that it will not alter the taste.

Let me know if you try it and it works.

Boom
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

BoomTown wrote:I read somewhere that you can use St. John's Wort like a tea...to color it with, and that it will not alter the taste.
Let me know if you try it and it works.
Boom
Yep and on that thread I said that it's not a great idea as alcohol is something that shouldn't be taken with St John's wort - they are contraindicated.
Stay safe :D
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
WNC-PrivateStock
Novice

Yep, I'll skip that step. If I color it, it'll be with food coloring...or with a little coca cola or something similar.

I still don't know how much soda to use for coloring though. :(
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

I use Lorann Carmel Coloring when I need to "touch up" the color of my spirits. Available on ebay, Amazon and many other places. Couple drops is all it takes and imparts no noticeable flavor.
Caramel Color.jpg
Caramel Color.jpg (6.21 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
Braz
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

caramel coloring is made a bit diferant than the candy type that you make.rather than "burning" sugar
its sugar reacted with acids or alkaline,depending the use.
idahoarcher
Novice

Post by idahoarcher »

Would adding a teaspoon of Pure Maple Syrup do anything for color? It would probably alter the taste a little bit though.
buddha52
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by buddha52 »

Put ya some plug tobacco in there :shock: It will color it right up.
" HILLBILLY PROUD"