Nuclear Whiskey / Nuclear Rum and Spirits Rapid Ageing

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shine0n
Distiller

Re: Nuclear Whiskey / Nuclear Rum and Spirits Rapid Ageing

Post by Shine0n »

I think as long as the mason jars are upright and wouldn't be in direct contact it should be fine.
I have no scientific proof of this but the alcohol is below the "plastic" and not in direct contact, there should be no condensation dripping back into the likker, is there the possibility of the fumes leaching out to contaminate the spirit?

I have likker in mason jars for 2 years now and show no sign of lid deterioration, they are upright, and the likker tastes fine.
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

Shine0n wrote:I think as long as the mason jars are upright and wouldn't be in direct contact it should be fine.
I actually don't have any personal problem with it but it is against board rules.

In particular with the nuking process, maybe others, is when people shake their booze in the jars, then their would be direct contact.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

WPOSW_Rangpur.jpg
It takes merely hours for a less than cask strength spirit to rip the colour out of a piece of citrus fruit suspended above the tide mark. At room temperature. No microwave necessary.
Rangpur progress.jpg
Vapour (even at room temperature) is a lot more damaging than liquid contact. When there is no water and oils to hold it in suspension, alcohol vapour is free to penetrate and break down anything that won't resist it.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

That's a darn good analogy salty.
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

Alcohol is also incredibly good at absorbing volatile compounds that happen to come in contact with it. While there is no known scientific study showing this or discussing it (...yet), I can say from personal observation from a number of distillates I have tasted have "cellar character" from the place they have been stored in for a very long time.

I think of eggs as a great example - semipermeable, aromas can enter them and influence the taste of the egg. Or perhaps a bowl of open liquid in a fridge with pungent ingredients such as onion or curry stored in it.
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
durty_dunderpants
Novice

Post by durty_dunderpants »

might go move me rum out the cupboard with my climbing shoes then.. :econfused:
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

durty_dunderpants wrote:might go move me rum out the cupboard with my climbing shoes then.. :econfused:
Rum de Nike, just do it :lol:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Bbowzky1
Novice

Post by Bbowzky1 »

Not sure how I feel about the microZap tho will likely give it a go.

Been following this post for ages find it very interesting. Yet to try it tho.

I also recently got one of these vacuum food saver mashines https://www.harveynorman.com.au/vacpro- ... r-kit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow is it likely to achieve a similar outcome?

I make all grain whiskey and age in glass on oak. Then in a 5lt charred oak, then 15lt ex port then blended into a 50lt charred oak barrel (solara set up if ya will).
Most of my product by the time it comes out of the 50lt is well aged and always comes out awesome as blended with older product. However if the spirit in is aged/older to start it can then only be better???

Also thinking of trying rum and bourbon instead of just scotch styles so will need to rapidly age as this wount enter the solara barrels.

Cheers
hefezelle
Novice

Post by hefezelle »

Two questions popped up in my head upon reading this:
  1. How does wood moisture affect the nuking process?
  2. Does nuking offer any advantage or disadvantage when doing long-term aging?
Concerning 1:
If i remember correctly, microwave radiation predominantly heats water. It has been conjectured in this thread that the efficiency of nuking might result from the very high temperatures that are introduced to the core of the wood while nuking. Now my thought is, if one were to use an extemely dry wood, perhaps soaked in 95% alc, and compare the nuking result on that to one where wet wood was used, would there be a difference other than the change in proof on the product?
Would be happy about feedback if anyone feels like experimenting, since i have nothing to nuke atm!

Concerning 2:
I suggest the following long-term experiment of at least 3 years:
In the following, "test" means to throughly observe every aspect of the liquor, such as color, viscosity, smell, taste, texture, and every other category you can think of, at different proofs, at best in a blind test. Compare different samples, take detailed, verbose notes with date and keep them in one place (journal, folder).
  • Take a fresh batch of distillate (after cutting) that you want to age on wood, at best one that you have high hopes for.
  • Take 4 identical jars suitable for long-term storage.
  • Fill each one with your well-mixed distillate, to equal level.
  • Label the jars, say "1", "2", "3" and "4".
  • Put your usual amount of oak (or whatever you use) in all four jars. Try to make sure the wood used doesn't introduce unaccounted variation between the jars: Use wood cut from the same tree, same place, same time, same degree of toast or char, etc!
  • Nuke jar "1" now, before aging.
  • After no time passed: Test jar "1" and "2".
  • After one week: Test jar "1" and "2".
  • After one month: Test jar "1" and "2".
  • After one year: Test jar "1" and "2". Then nuke jar "2". Then test jar "1" and "2" and "3".
  • After three years: Test jar "1" and "2" and "3". Then nuke jar "3". Then test all four jars.
  • Post results to this site.
Might also be interesting to do the same experiment alongside without the wood, but with the same booze, provided you have enough of it.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
I am writing the Tried And True Recipe Book pdf and appreciate critique!
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Look at the birds, just look at them: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Og2uI3lw87I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Stupid kids, yeah. But nevertheless... :shock:

har druckit för mycket
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

OK enough of the blowing up stuff in the microwave... we are way past this...

*****Note the kids put a full sealed bottle in the microwave... daa ...
Nothing like we are doing...

happy stillin,

FS
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

I have been getting a few private messages so I thought I would post a little paragraph or three.

If your concerned about nuking your booze start with smaller jars and less wood till you find the sweet spot your looking for

If you read the nuke thread ... you will find that every microwave is different... as in the time it takes to heat the product up to about 150f... start with 1 minute cycles and check the temperature... it may take about 2 or 2.5 maybe 3 full cycles to get it to temperature if you have a small or weak microwave it could take longer

If you start to see bubbles in the product or on the jar walls your getting close... try not to make it boil....

If you do let it set and cool down for a bit BEFORE you try to move or remove it from the microwave....

***At a certain point the hot material becomes super heated and if shaken or stirred it will instantly boil in a very violent manner.***

Jack Daniel BBQ chips work really well as a starting point. They are fairly cheap as well. Self charred or toasted American Oak staves or dominos will work as well. Try several types of wood and experience the differences. Larry at StilldDragon has some really nice dominoes.

Taste test it between microwave cycles to see if it's something you like the taste of, you can leave it with chips or dominoes in the jar for a few weeks or months it will continue to get smoother

have fun and HAPPY STILLIN,

FS
kyolic
Bootlegger

Post by kyolic »

Tried this a copule of hours ago. What a fool was I not trying it the first time I saw this thread. This takes home distilling to a whole new level, my spirit totally became something pro that I never experienced before. You are missing a lot if you are not using this method.
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

If anyone is doing anything they think is new with this process... please give us an update
:ewink:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

FullySilenced wrote:If anyone is doing anything they think is new with this process... please give us an update
:ewink:
I'm sure I've made more than a few relevant posts in the '20 years of aging in 6 days' thread over the years: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=55301

I still have a microwave in the shed, but it has become obsolete.
BaxtersDad
Swill Maker

Post by BaxtersDad »

kyolic wrote:Tried this a copule of hours ago. What a fool was I not trying it the first time I saw this thread. This takes home distilling to a whole new level, my spirit totally became something pro that I never experienced before. You are missing a lot if you are not using this method.
+1 on nuclear "aging." The idea that it is "dangerous" has been dispelled over and over since FS made the first post explaining the method. The conventional wisdom about everything around here dies hard! Go ahead and age for years if that floats your boat. I would rather have a drinking stock in weeks or months. JD chips are awesome, I suppose other wood would work too, although I have not tried it. Over the past few weeks, I have mashed, fermented and stripped three fairly small batches (70% corn, 30% crushed barley malt). I did the spirit run November 7, and nuked the jars over the following few days. It already looks, smells and tastes amazing, but I know it will be better with a little time in the Mason jars. I could start drinking it NOW but since I am headed south for four months, it is put away in my garage. I wish you could smell and taste it, but at least you can see what it looks like!
Attachments
Final Product.JPG
Budapest8485
Swill Maker

Post by Budapest8485 »

I'm thinking about using my sous vide for this purpose. No metal restrictions and perfect temperature precision. I can just lay the cap on and wait till the jar's temp has reached equilibrium with the surrounding water it sits in. Seems like a safer approach. Any issues, everything is sitting in water and I can just close the lid of the cooler I'm operating the water bath in.
3 x 60 inch Bokabob, 8 gallon boiler, 4500w

3 inch pot still head, reduce 2, then to 48 inch 1/2 condenser. 8 gallon boiler, 4500w
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

You can also use a slow cooker, mine will hold six pint mason jars, I fill it with hot water clamp the lid down and leave it on low overnight. I let it cool to room temp and then without opening them put them in the freezer for 12 to 24 before I'll taste them and if needs be...do it again. When I think they're done, I'll let all but one have Oden's 5 week fridge rest, the one is my "drink it now" and compare jar.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

Budapest8485 wrote:I'm thinking about using my sous vide for this purpose. No metal restrictions and perfect temperature precision. I can just lay the cap on and wait till the jar's temp has reached equilibrium with the surrounding water it sits in. Seems like a safer approach. Any issues, everything is sitting in water and I can just close the lid of the cooler I'm operating the water bath in.
Just my two bits, but I think that the microwave "magic" is more than just about heat. I think the way microwaves work, causing water molecules to spin back and forth to align with the microwaves, causes an effect at the molecular level. I'm tempted to say it is like ultrasound but even that might not be accurate.
Budapest8485
Swill Maker

Post by Budapest8485 »

Bagasso wrote:
Budapest8485 wrote:I'm thinking about using my sous vide for this purpose. No metal restrictions and perfect temperature precision. I can just lay the cap on and wait till the jar's temp has reached equilibrium with the surrounding water it sits in. Seems like a safer approach. Any issues, everything is sitting in water and I can just close the lid of the cooler I'm operating the water bath in.
Just my two bits, but I think that the microwave "magic" is more than just about heat. I think the way microwaves work, causing water molecules to spin back and forth to align with the microwaves, causes an effect at the molecular level. I'm tempted to say it is like ultrasound but even that might not be accurate.
An interesting thought... I don't know for sure. I assume two things are happening and radiation isn't contributing to the aging.

1. The higher temps of the ethanol will cause it to be more effective dissolving and stripping things from the wood. Ethanol is a strong solvent and works even better when it's hot...like hot water being better for cleaning than cold.

2. The vacuum created forces the air out of the wood and liquid into the wood. It all would happen eventually without the vacuum, but it makes it go faster. I've used oak spirals in wine for years. It's almost a fizzing effect the first few days when you drop one into a carboy.

I have a vacuum sealer as well. Maybe I'll do a control test. One with vacuum alone, one with heat alone, and one with both. See what happens...

3 inch pot still head, reduce 2, then to 48 inch 1/2 condenser. 8 gallon boiler, 4500w
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

Budapest8485 wrote:An interesting thought... I don't know for sure. I assume two things are happening and radiation isn't contributing to the aging.
IIRC, people have said that oaked likker seems to age quicker and even white likker shows an improvement. That is what I meant by "magic". Not just the heat and vacuum on the wood.

ETA: It's called microwave chemistry and although they can't fully explain everything that is happening, something more than just heat seems to be going on.
Non-thermal microwave effects have been proposed in order to explain unusual observations in microwave chemistry. As the name suggests, the effects are supposed not to require the transfer of microwave energy into thermal energy. Such effects are controversial.
Budapest8485
Swill Maker

Post by Budapest8485 »

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... dence-tha/

Like all electromagnetic waves, they are composed of photons, but the photons in microwaves have so little energy that they are unable to cause chemical changes in the molecules they encounter--including those in food. ... As far as we know, microwaves have no nonthermal effect on food.

I'm not an expert in this. I spoke with my brother who's a chemical engineer. He said the molecules aren't being altered by a microwave. He thinks it's cooking the wood in the solution that speeds up the effect. He's never touched whiskey before though...

I'll do a microwave test as well to see what's actually doing the aging. I'll have four jars total with the same wood and see what's actually causing the desired changes.

Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

Budapest8485 wrote:Like all electromagnetic waves, they are composed of photons, but the photons in microwaves have so little energy that they are unable to cause chemical changes in the molecules they encounter--including those in food. ... As far as we know, microwaves have no nonthermal effect on food.

I'm not an expert in this. I spoke with my brother who's a chemical engineer. He said the molecules aren't being altered by a microwave. He thinks it's cooking the wood in the solution that speeds up the effect. He's never touched whiskey before though...
The nonthermal effects in what I linked are not the microwaves acting on food or other molecules, they are affecting reactions. Probably reaction rates or selectivity.
I'll do a microwave test as well to see what's actually doing the aging. I'll have four jars total with the same wood and see what's actually causing the desired changes.
I'm sure the heat and vacuum you mentioned, in regards to wood, are causing those changes. I was talking about other changes that people have mentioned, even without wood.
Budapest8485
Swill Maker

Post by Budapest8485 »

Bagasso wrote:
Budapest8485 wrote:Like all electromagnetic waves, they are composed of photons, but the photons in microwaves have so little energy that they are unable to cause chemical changes in the molecules they encounter--including those in food. ... As far as we know, microwaves have no nonthermal effect on food.

The nonthermal effects in what I linked are not the microwaves acting on food or other molecules, they are affecting reactions. Probably reaction rates or selectivity.
I'm sure the heat and vacuum you mentioned, in regards to wood, are causing those changes. I was talking about other changes that people have mentioned, even without wood.
You read more in this post than me. I didn't realize people have done this without wood. Interesting... Maybe heat alone is causing positive affects. I guess I'll add a 5th jar to the science project and see what happens.

I just put an oak spiral into a half gallon of 80 proof UJSSM today...I like seeing the color!

Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

Budapest8485 wrote:You read more in this post than me. I didn't realize people have done this without wood. Interesting... Maybe heat alone is causing positive affects. I guess I'll add a 5th jar to the science project and see what happens.
It is a rather long thread and 5 years old, so I'm going off of memory.

Heat does speed up chemical reactions and then there is the evaporation of volatiles. Someone did a small test here, which I seemed to have missed.
All tests were done with fores that proofed at 151.
1st test: 100 grams spirit/total weight in 1/2 pint jar 283 grams
starting temp 70F
no lid for 3 minutes
end temp 135F
end weight 230 grams
Nothing unusual happened with this test
Lost 53 grams in 3 minutes. My theory is that due to how microwaving works, the field causes polar molecules (particularly water) to rotate due to their polar charge, might be causing faster evaporation and leaving a smoother drink.

In this post someone tried it with chinese cinnamon and they state that it tasted like stuff aged 3 weeks but smoother and with additional flavors.

ETA: I think this post is the one that my brain has hooked on to.
On white panela rum 80 proof, with no chips and a 1000 watt micro it took 3 minutes to get a quart up to 155 F. I did 3 cycles on three days.
Gave two different people (my wife and a good friend) blind taste test. I didn't even even tell them about the what the test was about, just here, try this... now try this.... both tasters liked the nuked stuff better. They even both commented that the one they liked was not as harsh. :thumbup:
Last edited by Bagasso on Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

A few weeks after nuking some white dog UJSSM, the rest had caught up and I couldn't tell which was which in a blind tasting.
SnuffyFl
Novice

Post by SnuffyFl »

I have been doing this for several years. To be honest I thought everyone did it. If you use common sense and don't try to get things too hot all is well.

I started when I wanted to wash off my oak before I put it in the jars. I would heat up the oak in some water then pour it out and put it in a jar to pour the product over. I had a good routine going and then I wasnt paying attention and nuked a jar that I had just put the oak in thinking I was cleaning the oak off. Like the others I tasted it and said "wow" this is great. After doing some reading I discovered someone else was doing it and really didn't think anything else about it. I told myself this sure beats putting quarts in a plastic bag and burying them under black much in the flowers.

A lot of the older post have been edited and are not available but I know this was done in 2013. If you go back to some of the earlier pages you can see some of these post. Some were off topic in other areas. Sorry guys if I had kept up with the postings I would have been more on top of it. I got AFIB and they told me alcohol was one of the main triggers for it so I cut was down on production and didnt even make any for a long time, hence I lost interest in the website. But I'm back, reading and interested again. I would put wax paper over a jar with a rubber band, poke a hole in it and nuke it till it got about 155 degrees F and let it cool to room temp then repeat for about three sessions removing the chips and filtering it after the second go round. It always came out MUCH smoother and yes there was some minimal loss but not enough to complain about. My wife said the color was different but I was just interested in taste. Give it a try
raptor402
Novice

Post by raptor402 »

This works awesome. ..... made three jars so far in a commercial microwave...
No flames.... two ,minutes each jar of 65%

Very good mind freak against Jack ,,,lli think it's smoother and tastier...

Thank you for this creation.....
DJBuZzCoLa
Novice

Post by DJBuZzCoLa »

So like most of you I have had a good read and I’m sold and just have a couple questions I hope hasn’t been answered.
So we are talking about aging in less than a few days. So when I read this first thing that comes to mind is.
All the top shelf bourbons and whiskeys that will cost you 100+ at a bottle shop.

Where are the recipes? :)

Have we created these?

Wild turkey 101 proof

Wild turkey longbranch

Wild turkey masters keep.

Plenty of other replica flavours im looking for.
Am I in the wrong forum? :)
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

DJBuZzCoLa wrote:So like most of you...
So we are talking about aging...
So when I read this...
Where are the recipes?
Have we created these?
Am I in the wrong forum?