Nuclear Whiskey / Nuclear Rum and Spirits Rapid Ageing

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Nuclear Whiskey / Nuclear Rum and Spirits Rapid Ageing

Post by FullySilenced »

With HD being the largest distilling forum on the internet, i felt it was only appropriate to share this idea and method with some of the true professionals that participate at HD on a daily basis.

I was watching a tv special on making whiskey when this came to me. They age the kegs in an open warehouse 3 or 4 stories tall. They rotate the kegs from from the top to the bottom on a set basis.
During the heat of the day the metal roof elevates the temperature up to a max of 150 degree's f at the roof level and then it drops back to normal temperature during the night only to repeat again the next day.

I was trying to equate something like that for us at a hobby level and came up with this.

I took a bag of Jack Daniels BBQ smoking chips and when I opened it got a great aroma of JD whiskey from the chipped barrel staves. This was my basis.

**(since this original trial, experiments with split oaks and various domino's and spirals and other wood types have been tested... oak, apple, cherry and a few exotic woods)

I started with sweet feed single run at 75 abv. I used a 8 fluid ounce cup and filled it level to the lip with JD chips which I then put in a 1.3 liter jar. I filled the jar with the 75 abv SF, leaving 1.5 inches of head space and I then put the jar into a 1200 watt microwave oven and heated it for 2 minutes. The temperature of the chips and alcohol was about 150f when it was removed. I screwed the cap on the jar and tightened it securely.

**(I personally have microwaved hundreds of batches of high abv with no issues, but i make sure that there is not metal on my jars, no lids or anything that could cause issues. IF i did have an ignition i would simply place a flat dish over the top of the jar to smother it at the source.)

As the liquid cooled down it puts a vacuum on the chips and liquid, i think this is a very important part of the method. I shook the jar a few time and you will start to see a color change almost as you look at the jar. Set the jar on a counter and let it cool slowly back to room temperature.

When the jar is cool you may shake it a few times and then open it slowly, you should hear the vacuum break as the lid is turned. the chips which are no longer under a vacuum will suck up some of the high abv liquid. Repeat the microwave heating again and reinstall the lid and let the product cool. You may shake it occasionally if desired... The color will already be a golden brown.... but on the second or third heating you will see a classical reddish hue start to develop in the liquid. Taste test between heats to produce a product that is everything you want it to be taste wise. Continue this process until you have the desired color or taste profile.
**(The color change and flavor imparted to the liquid is much greater the 2nd and 3rd heat/vacuum cycles and beyond.)

Dilute some of the product to 40 abv and you will be amazed as just how close the finished rapidly aged product tastes to Jack Daniels. If you want it to be even closer add a drop of your best vanilla extract, and maybe a very small amout of glycerine. The vanilla is for the smallest of flavors found in long term oak aged products and the glycerine smooths the beverage out and gives it a wonderful mouth feel...

Regardless of whether you add the vanilla or glycerine the product has a great flavor and has the Jack Daniels finish.**(IF JD chips are used)

The same process can you used to add bourbon/whiskey oak ageing to your favorite rum.

There are numerous people experimenting with this technique, give it a try and let me know what your thoughts are and how this one could be improved.

Some people have the patience to store their product in a keg for up to 4 years and some of us just wanna have fun. Hope you enjoy this as much as I have been doing while it was in development.

I am continuing the development to include adding flavors to neutrals... peppercorns, herbs and other readily available items.

Thank you Tater and Husker for giving me permission to post and share this with the members here on HD.

FS
Attachments
Finished Product cut to 40abv filtered and jarred 3 heat / vacuum cycles  12 hours total time
Finished Product cut to 40abv filtered and jarred 3 heat / vacuum cycles 12 hours total time
2nd photo JD chips in a 1.3L jar with 2 heat / vacuum cycle
2nd photo JD chips in a 1.3L jar with 2 heat / vacuum cycle
1st photo JD chips in a 1.3L jar with 1 heat / vacuum cycle
1st photo JD chips in a 1.3L jar with 1 heat / vacuum cycle
Last edited by FullySilenced on Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Nuclear Whiskey / Nuclear Rum and Spirits Rapid Ageing

Post by Bushman »

I followed this recipe (actually tried my own version after reading this elsewhere at first) but FS method is amazing and I think a lot of you will be pleasantly surprised!
timmyjane
Novice

Post by timmyjane »

Seems a little dangerous putting alcohol in the microwave. Couldn't the vapors spark somehow and then there would be a molotov cocktail in your kitchen. Not sure about this. My house is pretty accident prone and surely something bad would happen. Just 2 Sundays ago we had to get an emergency vet to the house but that's a whole 'nother story.
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

TJ i thought you had already tried this method... with apple wood 3 1.5 minute sessions if i remember correctly. Did you have anything happen when you had product in your microwave?

With over 100 heat/vacuum cycles... never had an issue nor has anyone else who has tested this method.

if i can answer any questions regarding this just ask...

FS

TJ if i mixed you up with someone else I am sorry this has been a very busy project for me way more than i expected...
Last edited by FullySilenced on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rivver
Swill Maker

Post by Rivver »

If the micro method doesn't sound good, you could always heat up in a pot of water on a stove (induction or electric of course). Has anyone tried this with anything else besided JD chips, I mean like just regular charred oak they made theirselves?
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

If you read my first post people have used domino's and cut barrel staves as well as other chips and types of wood.

Water bath heating does not seem to work.. and again the post describes the heating and vacuum cycle. (Bushman might elaborate on this if he so chooses)

Microwaves heats up the wood on the inside as well at the liquid... when the product is at 150 i am sure some of it seeps into the chips, block, stave or whatever. When you install the lid and the product and jar cools naturally the lid will seal and a vacuum will form pulling product out of the wood. When you prepare for the next heat/vacuum cycle and open the lid the vacuum is released and product is drawn deeply into the wood ... similar principle that meat producers use to get water into the meat to add weight...

When you go through the next heat/vacuum cycle the liquid thats in the chips is heated from inside the wood again and is forced into the liquid in the jar... after the first heat/vacuum cycle you can watch the color coming out of the chips, chunks or staves. Cycles 2 and on produce more and more color and flavor...

Be sure to taste your product between cycles as were going for taste in the long run not just color. Tasting between heat cycles assures that you get a product that fits your specific taste profiles.

Happy Stillin

FS
Andy Capp
Swill Maker

Post by Andy Capp »

Personally i would rather age my hooch on charred oak because you can't replicate the depth in taste and flavour that comes from aging. This method seems like a faster way of distress aging. The only thing i would change if doing this would be to use charred cubes cut from barrel staves. JD is not high on my favourite whiskeys list and replicating that taste would not be an incentive. :sick:
A hangover is when you open your eyes in the morning and wish you hadn't.
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

ITs been done with toasted dominoes and split staves... its not about the chips it's about the method which so far has worked with most anything tried... give it a go with split staves or cubes, your choice and post your results, thoughts and ideas...

I even flavored neutral with coffee and peppercorns... not at the same time

Happy Stillin

FS
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Using a microwave to heat a highly flammable liquid is an extremely BAD idea :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
There are plenty of hot surfaces close to the magnetron would could easily ignite alcohol vapors.

At BEST.... you're creating a nasty fire.... Worse, you'd be creating and heating a air fuel mixture in a confined space AKA a BOMB :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

This is a major safety issue, definitely something to avoid.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by FullySilenced »

Well contrary to your thoughts on this its not the case.... Has not happened to date. 100's of heat/vacuum cycles... :!:

Happy Stillin

FS
Navy vet
Bootlegger

Post by Navy vet »

I have a vacuumed sealer purchased at Sam's club. I have a vac attachment for canning jars. Wonder if the same results are achievable without the microwave?
Never enough time to do it right, always enough time to do it over....
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

While I'm glad to hear that you haven't suffered a nasty experience, that doesn't make it safe and certainly not something to be recommend.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by timmyjane »

Navy vet wrote:I have a vacuumed sealer purchased at Sam's club. I have a vac attachment for canning jars. Wonder if the same results are achievable without the microwave?
I wondered that too but I think the microwaves must contribute something. Im sure putting the jar in a vaccum would help speed the process up but not as fast as shown.
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Well try it at lower abv if your concerned say 50abv.... but try it... post your results...

Happy Stillin

FS

here is a google search engine hope i can post a google search engine link.... if not would a mod please delete the link...

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=00315 ... xevhvtmcnc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

do a search for "Nuclear Whiskey" and see what results other have gotten
bowhunt76
Swill Maker

Post by bowhunt76 »

well i got some JD chips layin around. A microwave, some white and nothing but time im gonna do it right now.........
my shizzle......13gal 3" vm.http://homedistiller.org/forum/download ... p?id=19748

E. CLAMPUS, VITUS....HANG THE BASTARD
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I have not experimented with it as much as FS but I have done about 7 bottles now and it seems to work. Here is a picture of mine.
image.jpg
I did a google search on the Internet and a lot of people said it was not safe but none of those came from what I would call credible sources. I do know a lot of people are trying it on other forums and all seem to have positive comments. I would say however that I still think Odin's method of smoothing with Ultra Sonic is an area that has been tested in science labs and one in which I am still researching. When I first did this I used an older microwave outside with a fire extinguisher on hand but feel much more comfortable with it know. Every jar has sealed so very little abv if any is lost in the process.
bluenose
Bootlegger

Post by bluenose »

I'm still a FNG and I'm just spitballin' here but this gots me thinking... what if you soaked some chips in the flavour you want to imbue in your final drink (like burbon, sherry or whatev), then vacuum seal it in one of those freezer bags, then boil it for a little while, then put that in your jar to age it

kinda like sous vide only hotter, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide. From the way you describe your steps, it sounds like the vacuum effect is essential for the chips absorbing the spirit (under vacuum) and releasing the spirit and their goodness (under normal pressure). I could be way off, but that's my $0.02.

way safer than putting flammable liquid in a microwave
I'm not a shiner, but I play one on TV
bowhunt76
Swill Maker

Post by bowhunt76 »

just did 2 pint jars no fire yet....imma let em go in the freezer for 30mins and hit em again they already are waaaaaay dark and smells like jack a ton

cut a 1l of crystal clear 180p rads all bran hearts down to 120 in 2 pints (stuffs already amazing in white)

had my fire extinguisher right on top of micro :shock:
my shizzle......13gal 3" vm.http://homedistiller.org/forum/download ... p?id=19748

E. CLAMPUS, VITUS....HANG THE BASTARD
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

bowhunt76 wrote:just did 2 pint jars no fire yet....imma let em go in the freezer for 30mins and hit em again they already are waaaaaay dark and smells like jack a ton

cut a 1l of crystal clear 180p rads all bran hearts down to 120 in 2 pints (stuffs already amazing in white)

had my fire extinguisher right on top of micro :shock:
If it were to go you wouldn't want it on the micro? I added a cut vanilla bean in as well but after on shot couldn't really taste a difference.
mystakilla
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by mystakilla »

This seems to be quite safe with all the people who have tested it, I haven't had the ball to push the button yet. :-)

Has anyone tried this with any neutrals and what's outcome?
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

mystakilla wrote: I haven't had the ball to push the button yet. :-)
JUST ONE BALL? :D only takes one to get the job done i have heard.... :thumbup:

I have tried it with neutral and peppercorns and various herbs just to see if flavor carries over... and it does, pepper plants have just been planted and when they harvest I will try it with a few different types. Thai Terror style...

What were you wanting to try neutral with JD Chips, oak staves, or something else?

Happy Stillin

FS
Last edited by FullySilenced on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
mystakilla
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by mystakilla »

Either chips or oak chunks. Not so much the nuking but in general I'm wondering how a neutral is gonna taste when oaked.

I had some on shelf now for two weeks or so,I'm getting curious since most people don't oak neutrals. I currently only run a boka at the moment, was mainly just into making vodkas.
At any rate, hopefully I'll hear others chime in on nuked neutrals and see outcome.
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

If you use JD chips it will pick up the JD taste just from 2 or 3 microwave cycles... will not be a heavy JD taste but its there .. give it a try if you have neutral.

Happy Stillin

FS
Lunabrille
Novice

Post by Lunabrille »

ExpatLad wrote:Using a microwave to heat a highly flammable liquid is an extremely BAD idea :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
There are plenty of hot surfaces close to the magnetron would could easily ignite alcohol vapors.

At BEST.... you're creating a nasty fire.... Worse, you'd be creating and heating a air fuel mixture in a confined space AKA a BOMB :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Sorry, I'm not trying to start anything but this comment brings a question to mind. If a hot surface is all it takes to ignite alcohol vapor, how come the alcohol vapor dosent ignite in or near a column? Certainly a hot surface and a much higher ABV.
jbird1992
Bootlegger

Post by jbird1992 »

I have quite a few of these experiments going. It is a little scary to push the button at first I stopped and started it at least 5 times the first time. I have a towel in hand and as soon as its done I open and cap then use the towel to get it out it seals very fast. It defiantly gives you instant color and flavor :thumbup:
Attachments
3 days and 3 micro treatments
3 days and 3 micro treatments
The only barrier to truth is the assumption you already have it

My Stuff
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36697
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

When I do it following FS's method and use a 1 quart jar 2 minutes is not that hot and I can easily remove it with my hands so I agree it probably isn't as hot as what comes out of an LM still. I also rinse the lid in hot water just before I finish in the microwave only because my wife said it helps with sealing. I also reuse the lids and they still continue to seal.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Lunabrille wrote:
ExpatLad wrote:Using a microwave to heat a highly flammable liquid is an extremely BAD idea :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Sorry, I'm not trying to start anything but this comment brings a question to mind. If a hot surface is all it takes to ignite alcohol vapor, how come the alcohol vapor dosent ignite in or near a column? Certainly a hot surface and a much higher ABV.
Lack of O2. Fire takes three things. Heat fuel O2. Remove one of them and no fire. This is why we can distill a flammable, explosive substance without blowing ourselves up. No O2 in boiler, column, so no boom.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
jbird1992
Bootlegger

Post by jbird1992 »

Bushman wrote:When I do it following FS's method and use a 1 quart jar 2 minutes is not that hot and I can easily remove it with my hands so I agree it probably isn't as hot as what comes out of an LM still. I also rinse the lid in hot water just before I finish in the microwave only because my wife said it helps with sealing. I also reuse the lids and they still continue to seal.

These are my findings also :thumbup:

I use a towel for the just in case. I hold the jar to screw on the lid
The only barrier to truth is the assumption you already have it

My Stuff
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36697
Lunabrille
Novice

Post by Lunabrille »

Husker wrote:
Lunabrille wrote:

Lack of O2. Fire takes three things. Heat fuel O2. Remove one of them and no fire. This is why we can distill a flammable, explosive substance without blowing ourselves up. No O2 in boiler, column, so no boom.
Thanks for the explanation, I totally get the not enough oxygen part. So alcohol or alcohol vapor will ignite if it comes within a certain range or in direct contact with a hot surface (not a spark or open flame) if it has enough oxygen? If that's the case I should probably move my parrot, it's spitting out azerotrope less than a foot away from my boiler and column. :shock:
johnhopper1957
Swill Maker

Post by johnhopper1957 »

Lunabrille wrote:

Flammable liquids have flash points and boiling points, ethanol has a temperature it needs to reach before ignition can occur.