rectifying louche

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Amadeus82
Novice

rectifying louche

Post by Amadeus82 »

i have just had a good at distilling absinthe 2 things went wrong

1st was when i took a sample it louched very nicely but when later the distilling finished the louch dissapeared,

2nd was the coloring it turned to a deep yellow?

if i distilled it again would the louch return and get rid of the yellow color?
FAROM
Novice

Post by FAROM »

Hi, distilling again the product, the yellow color will go away but the louche will become even more low
If the gotten distillate is of yellow color he/she wants to say that the cut has been made too late or what the source of heat was too much tall. I could help better you knowing as you have conducted the process of distillation and the quantity used of fennel and anise.
What type of still bushels using, you make use of temometri for the cut of the various phases or you do him/it to "ear"?

Ciao.
Amadeus82
Novice

Post by Amadeus82 »

100gs of each to 4 liters of alcohol. the distillate came out clear used a double boiler, it was only when i was colouring with herbs that it became yellow, left it too long?

sorry not too big on the brew lingo, sorry.

i am going to give it another go in a couple weeks to see if i can make an improvement? could i add this lot to the next that i distill and if so how much percentage would be possible to add to next batch?
FAROM
Novice

Post by FAROM »

I recommend you not to again distill the product otherwise risks to lose too many aromas, flavor and perfumes and flat too divente.
For every liter again absinthe you must add half liter of that old.
The percentulae of fennel and green anise used for 1 liter it is too much little. it doubles the doses and you will see that it will be all right.
If absinthe has become during the coloration yellow he/she wants to say that you have used too issopo and melissa.
for the coloration it is to use well for 1 liter absinthe 1 gram pontica 2 grams issopo, 0.5 grams melissa (balm of lemon) and if you want to use the mint use 3 grams of it.
Excuse me for the my bad iEnglish, ciao.
Amadeus82
Novice

Post by Amadeus82 »

anyways here is the recipe that i used

any mods that can be done to it?

i missed out on the pontica for colouration so instead just used artemisia absinthium.

140 g Wormwood
24.0 g Lemon Balm
100.0 g Anise Seed
32.0 g Star Anise
100.0 g Fennel Seed
14 g Coriander
6 g Calamus Root
16.0 g Angelica Root
36.0 g Hyssop
These are the ingredients for the masceration part of making Absinthe. Note that this is for *1* 4000ml bottle of grain alcohol.
======================================================================
Finishing
16.0 g Wormwood
24.0 g Mint
8.0 g Lemon Balm
8.0 g Licorice Root
8.0 g Lemon Peel
FAROM
Novice

Post by FAROM »

It doubles the fennel and the green anise
It eliminates completely the anise of star
In the phase of coloration the artemisia pontica must be used, no absinthium
Before doing the absinthe verte, it tries to do a good absinthe blanche and then to make the tests to do him/it colored, ok? Ciao.

p.s.
Do you make use of thermometers?
How do you do to regulate to effect you the cuts of the head, of the heart and dellae tails?
Samogon
Novice

Re: rectifying louche

Post by Samogon »

Amadeus82 wrote: 1st was when i took a sample it louched very nicely but when later the distilling finished the louch dissapeared,
It is mentioned in most of the absinthe threads here that a good louche comes from saving tails from each distillation and adding back to successive runs. This allows the anethole http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anethole to build up and create a strong louche after a number of runs.
CatharticusX
Novice

Post by CatharticusX »

I have a weird situation where it louches better than any previous batch, but I can't taste the anise. I'm presently trying to rectify the flavor by using green anise (and two stars. I'm cheating) in a teabag, post-coloration.

Made me wonder, though, if it's possible to produce substitute tails. For an experiment I put 100ml ethanol in a baby food jar with a tablespoon of green anise. I'm just going to let it sit there until I do next batch and then see what it looks/tastes like before adding it with the real tails. Anybody tried that?

-cx
"The only good death is one that leaves a crater."
ccr523
Novice

Post by ccr523 »

Don't use anise post distillation.

How fresh is the batch? The distillate is often flat and/or muted right out of the still.
CatharticusX
Novice

Post by CatharticusX »

ccr523 wrote:Don't use anise post distillation.

How fresh is the batch? The distillate is often flat and/or muted right out of the still.
Interesting point about the distillate being muted. I did the post-distillation anise experiment and it worked out great, except it's a little murky and there's sediment forming.

The taste is fine. In fact, I spent Mardi Gras in New Orleans getting -really- familiar with a bottle of it. There's a place that sells Lucid for $10/glass so I was able to compare against that. Before I could stop the bartender, she burned the sugarcube over the Lucid so that tainted its flavor a bit, but except for the cloudiness they were otherwise similar, except I don't use sugar.

-c
"The only good death is one that leaves a crater."