Dandylion Liquer

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bushido
Swill Maker

Dandylion Liquer

Post by bushido »

Trying a recipe from danish liquers for dandylion liquer. So far, I have filled a 2L mason jar 3/4 full of dandylion flower, no greens, and topped with 60% neutral. Put it down last night, slight amber color today. Will soak 7 days and flavor to taste with honey or dextrose, depends on how it tastes.
Tell you one thing for sure, trimming enough for wine is going to be a full days job!
Let y'all know how it tastes next week.
Uncle Remus
Trainee

Post by Uncle Remus »

My mom and my grandma before her made dandylion wine forever. Its wonderful stuff. let us know for sure......maybe one day i will do a dandylion wine and distill it
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
BW Redneck
Trainee

Post by BW Redneck »

My mother also makes a lot of dandelion wine. I know it's not a liqueur, but I'll post the recipe anyway:

Dandelion Wine:

1 quart dandelion blossoms
1 gallon water
3lbs. sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice

Submerge blossoms in water and bring to a boil. Let cool overnight. Add 3lbs. (approx. 6 cups) sugar and 1/2cup lemon juice to steeped blossoms and water. Bring back to a boil for 15-20 min. Let cool until water temperature is less than 100 F. Add 3 packets yeast (approx. 21 grams). Let stand for 48 hrs.
Strain out blossoms and bottle loosely capped inside a Coleman cooler for 1 month, then move to a more permanent location. Drink after 6 months, 3 years is best.

The wine does not ferment out completely. A lot of sugar is left over, so distilling the wine may not yield very much.

No matter how hard you try, every time you pluck blossoms you will have some raw latex from the stem in the blossom. Unless you go to the trouble of picking the guts of the flower from the green sepals, the resulting liqueur will be bitter.
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance... baffle them with bullshit."
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
"Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"

20lt small pot still, working on keg
Bujapat
Swill Maker

Post by Bujapat »

I also make dandelion wine, 30 liters are fermenting right now!!! Here's my recipe :
15 liters dandelion flowers (flowers only)
7,5 kgs sugar
3 oranges finely thin sliced
1 lemon finely thin sliced
750 grams crushed dryed grapes
water

Bring to boil the flowers with 10 l water, let it boil gently a few minutes, then filter and throw out the flowers and other wastes.
Add sugar, oranges, dryed grapes and lemon, then add water to make 30 liters.
When cooled at 20 - 25 °C, add yeast (Champagne yeast is ideal).
Let ferment until SG = 1020, then filter and bottle in Champagne bottles (other could explose!)

After some weeks (?), you'll got a fine sparkling dandelion wine...

For better agin : hold the bottles head down in a rack and turn 1/4 turn right, then left, each day (champagne method). This allows to keep the yeast deposit in the champagne cap...

Thanks to my friend Pied'Vigne for the pictures...
I'm french speaking!

Boiler : 50 L (13 gal) beer keg, gas heated.
Reflux : 104 cm (41 inches) column 54 mm (2 inches) diameter withh SS scrubbers packing.
Potstill : 40 cm (15 inches) column 54 mm (2 inches) diameter without packing.
bushido
Swill Maker

Post by bushido »

This came out very strong dandylion smell. Cut with honey(after heating with a bit of water), but it is still an off tasting drink, and the smell makes it unattractive.
I did put down 60L that I was going to wine, but I ended up running it off twice in the pot along with the liquer. Again, a very off smelling drink with a strong taste. You would have to hold your breath to drink this one :cry:
Sooo...I ran it through again, still overpowering smell/taste. Ran it again, and it was almost tolerable. Ran it again, and it was almost neutral again. I will use it up for kalua or something where I can hide it.
I would not do this one again, though I will probably try wine next year. I regret not bottling 1 or 2 this go as wine.
anyway, that was my dandylion experience for this year.