APPLE PIE

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

buggy66
Novice

APPLE PIE

Post by buggy66 »

I HAVE SEARCHED AND CAN FIND OUT OF FIVE PAGES ONLY ONE REPLY ON HOW TO MAKE "APPLE PIE". A FRIEND OF MINE SAID TO MIX CLEAR SHINE WITH APPLLE JUICE AND SOME CINNAMON STIX. IS HIS RECIPE RIGHT OR DO I NEED TO DISTILL THIS? THANKS MARK :?:
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

I don't know what you could be talking about. round here apple pie is baked in the oven and eaten with a fork and vanilla ice cream. Got nothin to do with shine.
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

hello buggy , the capps on the keyboard is considered as shouting here in the internet world you might not have known this .. I got a a few hits on threads that are talking about the apple pie recipe that youre asking about ...almost every topic one can think of has been covered here ..so im sure someone has done it before with good results ... maybe try asking without the capps ??? dont take this as coming down on ya friend but as a friendly tip... :D

I think this is thread he was refering to.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =apple+pie
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

If its a recipe like that, then I'd make some apple brandy. distilled 2X. Aim for about 160 proof. Then I'd use that uncut brandy to cover an equal volume of apples. Take a mason jar, fill it halfway with 160 proof apple brandy. Fill the rest of the jar with cleaned sliced apples, a small amount of cinnamon stick and a small amount of vanilla bean. Let it sit for 6 months, pour off the liquor from the apples and then put a half cup of sugar on the apples. When all the liquid has run out of them then pour this in with the brandy. add more sugar till you get all the juice out of them. That will take a couple of months, but the result will be really good. This will be strong liquor with a sweet strong apple flavor with cinnamon and vanilla. Go easy on the vanilla and cinnamon, a little goes a long way. If you learn how to make a good brandy then you can make some really really good apple pie.
buggy66
Novice

apple pie

Post by buggy66 »

Hey guys, sorry about the caps - your right I didn'tknow - total newbe at the keys! It took me thirty five minutes to post the last message-now I have over two hours in typing! :lol: Thanks for the replies. The recipe I was talking about was tasty but didn't have very much kick to it though. I wasn"t into making shine then, so I didn't have a way to proof it and he doesn't know either. I have somone asking for shine with apples and spices-- the only thing I could come up with is what I was telling you about. Here in east tn we see a lot of shine with fruit in it for flavor. That is what most want around here. The threads you posted were the only ones i could find out of five pages. Thanks everyone for your help!
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Its not my recipe,but its simple.This is for a quart mason jar
use 1/2 granny smith apples,and 1/2 red dellishes
put in a hand full of chopped raisins
use 1 cup of sugar{white or brown,I like brown better}
put 2 cinniman sticks in,and remove them in 3 days
fill the jar{quart} with 80 proof neutral
Make sure you dont put no apple seeds in it
Leave it for a few weeks,or months,just dont leave the sticks in too long,because it will overpower it.
wineo
buggy66
Novice

apple pie

Post by buggy66 »

can u clearifie the half and half. is that half full with one then half with the rest or is that to split one half of an apple and another half an apple of the other flavor :? i under stand the equal amounts of each brand of apple, just not sure as to how full with the apples. thanks
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Sorry about that.Cut the apples up,and dont use the core or seeds.Fill the jar with as many as you can fit in there.Just use equal amounts of apples.
If you have jars,do 3 or 4 of them,cause it will go fast.Im doing strawberrys in gallon jars now.Just 4Lbs of strawberrys,and 2 cups sugar,and a half gallon of 80 proof.Eating the berrys is the best part on this one.
wineo
buggy66
Novice

apple pie

Post by buggy66 »

I like the sound of both of those. Can't wait to try them. Looks like I'll be making more than 3 or 4 each thou.
buggy66
Novice

apple pie

Post by buggy66 »

Just mixed the apple brown sugar recipe. This stuff smells great . Can't wait to try. Thanks Wineo for your help. After taking cinn stix out when three days are over, when can I try it? Is it time? , now?, how about now? can I now ? please! pleeaase! pretty please ! :D :D :D
Moonshine_Mike
Novice

Post by Moonshine_Mike »

Wineo is sure right about it going fast, ive got a gallon of strawberry sitting right now, but i havent ever added any sugar till i begin to extract the syrup, does it help the flavor to add some durring the flavoring process, or do you guys not do the syrup thing at the end when adding sugar at the start. I also like mine strong, start out with 150 proof.

and the cinniman WILL overpower very quickly on the apple stuff.
level Joe
Swill Maker

Post by level Joe »

If your worried about overdoing spices. Get some small glass bottles and masserate each spice in one with some high proof and leave them set a while. Add a few drops of this at a time and check whatever your making the next day till you get it where you like (It seems to me that the flavor and smell are alot stronger right off the bat). I have vanilla beans, cinnamin sticks, coriander seeds, clove and ginger root ready when I need them this way.
Salus populi suprema est lex. [L.] The safety of the people is the highest law.
buggy66
Novice

apple pie

Post by buggy66 »

Its been two days since the apple recipe has been mixed and I cant' keep my wife from sneeking a taste! Wineo suggested doing more than one. Thanks for warning me!
buggy66
Novice

apple pie

Post by buggy66 »

Invited a friend over to taste the apple pie recipe Wineo told me about. He dosen't drink but you would'nt know it from tonight! He asked me to save him one when they are ready. Looks like hes going to take up drinkig. Any other apple recipes?
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

I got the recipe from Elricko.He is on one of the other forums.You can do that with about any kind of fruit.Just dont use too much sugar,and use as much fruit as you can fit in the jar.
wineo
buggy66
Novice

applepie

Post by buggy66 »

Thanks again Wineo. I am about to do some strawberry in quarts -what would u say is an appropriate amount of berrys and sugar. take a quart jar put 1 cup sugar and add how much berrys--- half full?
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

If you want it to be really good,fill the jar with berrys,and dont use too much sugar.I would go with a 1/2 cup.Leave it for a few days,and taste it.
You can always add more sugar.Ive been doing the strawberrys lite on the sugar,and when there done,I drain off most of the booze,then add more sugar to the berrys.Then we eat berrys,and get smashed doing it.
wineo
PUGIDOGS
Swill Maker

Post by PUGIDOGS »

Same here for strawberrys, I think in the last gallon of panty droppers I made I only used 3 1/2 cups of sugar and filled the jar about 1/2 full with strawberrys. Not a schnapps not a liqueur. In between but very good...Pugi
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Pugi,The last batch of strawberry i did was in a gallon jar.I used 4Lbs of fresh berrys,a cup of light brown sugar,and a 1/2 cup of white sugar.It took a 1/2 gallon of 80 proof neutral to fill up the jar.It turned out real good,but on the next batch,Im going to use only 1 cup of brown sugar.
The strawberry flavor,and smell is fantastic,but I think it will be better
with a little less sweetness.Kinda in between a flavored vodka,and a wine cooler.semi-dry.Those berrys are little alco-bombs.
wineo
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

It was really good! Wineo, you don't give yourself enough credit.
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

My new batch is better than the one you tried,and not as sweet.
wineo
Old Blue
Novice

Post by Old Blue »

Well I put together two quarts of the Apple Pie recipe just 24 hours ago, much to the wifes dismay I set it up in her kitchen window to take in the changing temps. (That window gets all the morning sun, so she is going to have to get used to it)

It already smells and looks so good it is hard to resist.

Thanks for the suggestion!!
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

You should take those jars of apple pie out of the sunlight because it will cause off flavors.The light hitting the alchaol produces fusals that taste bad.Keep it in the dark,for best results.
wineo
buggy66
Novice

apple pie

Post by buggy66 »

Just finished third batch of apple pie recipe, and first strawberry. Friends are driving me nuts over both! Cant wait till blackberry season they are now starting to bloom. How does the blackberrys do and how much sugar? I am hoping to do some brandies with blackberrys and with peaches.Thanks again Wineo.
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

Wineo is it best to add the sugar in the first time ? I have read where some others only add the sugar to the berries or fruit after they strain it off .. with your experience with the fruits and berries is one any better than the other as far as adding the sugar along with the spirit as opposed to adding sugar to the berries after straining and then adding that back ? Looks like it would be about the same it gets added both ways Im just wondering if the sugar helped the fruit bleed better or something ..and would adding a tablespoon of citruic acid (lemon Juice) at the start do anything bad to it?I see some are using that to perserve the color and flavor youre thoughts >thanks
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

It will work both ways but the experts say{Tater},do the sugar after,on the berrys to pull the booze out of the fruit,and to make it in to syrup to sweeten with.
wineo
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

thanks Wineo :D
PUGIDOGS
Swill Maker

Post by PUGIDOGS »

I tried something a little different, Marinated some chicken thighs in my apple pie liqueur for 24 hours than threw them on the BBQ. Turned out pretty good. Just watch out for the flames from the 80 proof on the hot coals...Pugi