Toasting and charring experiment

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

What would be your choice?

1. Light toast light char?
6%
2. Dark toast dark char?
15%
3. Dark toast light char?
33%
4. Light toast dark char?
27%
5. Light toast no char?
2%
6. Dark toast no char?
13%
7. Light toast light char and dark toast dark char?
4%

Total votes: 52

BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Re: Toasting and charring experiment

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

Ya know that's a great question! I think I will wait till at least the one month mark to open them and do a smell comparison. I'll probably only dip my finger in for a taste for now. I am going to wait at least 6 months before doing some real sampling, cause I'm not too worried about the tastes in the early months. Is this the correct way to go about it, I'm not sure but I think it will work.
zirtico
Novice

Post by zirtico »

BBB, those colours just look gorgeous. I'd want to "sample" a different jar everyday, if I were you!

I just made myself a single malt, with a light-medium toast and a light-medium char. Soaked it in some old whisky which got redder and now in my new batch, which is taking on a pale gold colour. Amazing how the colours can change drastically even with slight changes in how they are used or prepared!
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

Z your right they all look inviting! I smelled a few of them last night but they still smell young. Put the lids back on and left them be.

One thing that is very apparent is the that the darker the char the darker the color I'm getting.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Are you loosening the tops to get any air in them every once in a while for breathing purposes? I'd think 3 or 4 months 1 teaspoon taste every couple of weeks. I gotta say great thread and great ideas you have.
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

Thanks. So far I've only opened some of them once in the first month since birth. But I want to try to open them at least once ever two weeks if I can remember. I am actually as I type am moving all the jars out to my little shed and placing them in the attic space. The she'd has some pretty good temp swings and I'll leave them there till the experiment is over.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

This is what works for me:

Toast the wood with indirect heat @ 400 F for 2 hours. Cool, then freeze. Now I take the frozen toasted oak and char it with my propane torch just until it is blackened on all but one side, and begun to hold its own combustion. Then I toss it into warm water. Pull em out, and let them sit in the sun to dry. They will store like this for a very long time. Before adding the oak to the spirits, I like to soak them in water for 24 hours.

This makes for a very thin, yet defined layer of char which suits me just fine.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

certainly looks like char = color.

looking forward (with envy) to the tasting notes!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Snuffy-ga

Post by Snuffy-ga »

tried some pecan with a dark char. Got iced tea color in 48 hours and it made a bit smoother drink even in that short of time. ABV was 59. Temp was about 94 F in my shed. Looking forward to an aged product with the char in it.
Tried to load a jpeg but 1.12m is too big.
usaftrevor87
Novice

Post by usaftrevor87 »

It's been about 7 weeks now... any change in aroma?
When do you think you'll start diluting a little sample and taste testing?
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46
http://homedistiller.org/

“Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.”
- Mark Twain
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

Ya know I haven't thought about it much since I moved everything to the shed where it's outta sight and outta mind. This time of the year I'm so busy with work it's hard to spend much time with the hobby. Bu the nice thing is everything that is aging will just be older by the time I remember or get to it.
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Update please :-D
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Brendan
Rumrunner

Post by Brendan »

This reminds me of Pintoshine's very detailed experiment of toasted vs charred from quite a few years ago on artisan, for those who have seen it.

Obviously the tasting is the most important part, and especially past the 6 month mark. Although there are differences, I think each has it's place depending on the spirit. i.e. Bourbon has to be toasted and charred or it won't taste like Bourbon.

Good luck with the experiment :thumbup:
Spoiler Alert: In Pint's experiment, the charred was a leading favourite for many months as it quickly imparts those flavours as expected. On the longer term (6+ months), the toasted turned things around and had some beautiful flavours which balanced well after that longer term. This is probably as expected, with the quick flavouring of charred (without much time aging), and the slower release of toasted along with time to mellow and balance the spirit :thumbup:
zirtico
Novice

Post by zirtico »

Agree with Mikey-moo! I think it's time for another update :)
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

Ok guys. Well since I moved everything out to my shed I haven't even thought about it. They will hit the six month mark in October some time. I haven't open or touched the jars in a few months for sure. But when the outside temp is swinging and I happen to be outside near the shed I do hear the "tink" of the jar lids. The shed is completely uninsulated and the jars a stuff up in the rafters.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

BoisBlancBoy wrote:They will hit the six month mark in October some time.
My hat's off to you, BoisBlanc, you have some powerful patience! This will be a great demonstration. :thumbup: See you in October. Trick or treat...
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
BoisBlancBoy wrote:They will hit the six month mark in October some time.
My hat's off to you, BoisBlanc, you have some powerful patience! This will be a great demonstration. :thumbup: See you in October. Trick or treat...
Thanks. I'm hoping to taste and smell some distinct differences! Then in the future I will know what style of char and toast I prefer.
freshwaterjellyfish
Swill Maker

Post by freshwaterjellyfish »

..gotta work on those "quotes"
Last edited by freshwaterjellyfish on Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed , feels alone in a cruel world. Doctor says, "Treatments simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears."But doctor. I am Pagliacci." 
freshwaterjellyfish
Swill Maker

Post by freshwaterjellyfish »

halfbaked wrote:So in this experiment when does sampling start and how will that work? If you are 1 ounce samples you lible to be snockered at the end and taste buds all the way off. After 10 shots everything is gonna taste good. It would also be a crime to spit it out.
...if youre cheap like me, youd have a glass of cola and ice to spit it
:egeek:
Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed , feels alone in a cruel world. Doctor says, "Treatments simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears."But doctor. I am Pagliacci." 
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

Just a quick update! My patience is being tested! Now that I know the testing date is starting to approach I have been thinking of it more! Can't wait!
usaftrevor87
Novice

Post by usaftrevor87 »

Ive been following this forever!! Cant wait

“Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.”
- Mark Twain
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

Since I can't test yet I have been thinking about testing it this way. My buddy and I are going to sample, spit and rinse our mouths out and write down our findings. We won't compare notes until we are done. We both have similar tastes so hopefully we end up with roughly the same findings.

To be honest I am very excited to taste the jar with the two pieces of wood. Light toast dark toast light char and dark char. No idea if it will taste any good or not but I think it should be interesting.
usaftrevor87
Novice

Post by usaftrevor87 »

I think that sounds pretty good.
It is note worthy though to say that if you don't swallow (haha) that you wont be able to gauge the throat burn.
I dont know how true this is, but someone once said "head burn the mouth hearts burn the throat". This was before aging though.

- Mark Twain
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

One thing I know for sure is there aren't any heads in this batch. During making my cuts when I stop smelling heads I go another jar just to be sure! No sense in being greedy, I'm looking for quality over quantity.
usaftrevor87
Novice

Post by usaftrevor87 »

BoisBlancBoy wrote:No sense in being greedy, I'm looking for quality over quantity.
Truer words have never been spoken lol

- Mark Twain
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

SPIT?

Each must have his own jar and then you will have a jar of blended whiskey for...later!
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

DAD300 wrote:SPIT?

Each must have his own jar and then you will have a jar of blended whiskey for...later!

Haha!! Well that's an idea!
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Are we there yet... are we there yet?
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

As a matter of fact this weekend the tasting will happen. I'm going to pull the jars out of the shed on Friday, open them up and let them air our till Saturday. Saturday the tasting will commence!
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Damn, wish i was on the attendees list for this particular tasting party.

Hope you enjoy the weekend as much as we have enjoyed the anticipation of the commentary. Looking forward to your notes!

cheers!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

Update time!!! The jars have been pulled from the shed rafters and placed on the kitchen table with the kids removed! I also have covered them with coffee filters to let them air for at least 24 hrs before the actual taste testing commences. Now! While uncapping all the jars I had to at least take a smell and all I can say is wow! I can't believe the differences!!! There are some favorites and some I don't think I will like. Tomorrow I will be doing some tasting with a buddy. Again the tasting will be done silently and after the end of the tasting compare notes. We are going to compare taste, smell, and color.

I would like to take this time to encourage others to try this experiment! Now that I am close to the finish line I want to see the results of others. I think this jump starts any of us hobbyists new and old on what our particular tastes may be. Depending on the shine you make, the water you use and the wood aged on it will help produce the best product yet for your taste.