Possible barrel(s) opportunity!!

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rivver
Swill Maker

Possible barrel(s) opportunity!!

Post by Rivver »

I just found out last night a good friend of mines brother is going to work at a cooperage. I told him if given the opportunity I would love to have a barrel. Of course I don't want it for free, but I've always been reluctant about ordering one. He said they make a large wine barrel and a smaller french oak whiskey barrel. Never tried the french oak before, could be interesting.
GuyIncognito
Bootlegger

Re: Possible barrel(s) opportunity!!

Post by GuyIncognito »

Full size french oak run around $800, i expect the smaller ones (30 gal) to be somewhere between 600-800. You can get retoasted ones for $350 or so, but thats about as cheap as they come. He'd have to be a pretty good friend...
Red Rim
Trainee

Post by Red Rim »

There is an oak barrel maker near by. I don't mean to advertise, I have no connection. But he makes some killer Hungarian oak barrels. Screw jack Danielle... Vadai barrels.com. Look under toasted oak. Small hand crafted barrels. Worth looking in to. Damn good flavor.
There is no such thing as a stupid question....... Unless you didn't research it first.
Rivver
Swill Maker

Post by Rivver »

I think today is going to be his first day working there, so I'll have to give it some time to see if he can obtain one for me. I'm not sure what sizes they make, but I told him the smaller the better for me. Ideal would be a 5-10 gallon. It would take me forever to come up with 10 gallons of 62% AG spirit as there is no way I would use a barrel to age a sugarhead in (well maybe a 4th or 5th aging in the barrel I might try a sugarhead).