An odd observation about the freezing/warming bit.....

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rummeriffic
Novice

An odd observation about the freezing/warming bit.....

Post by Rummeriffic »

So I have been cycling two batches of my molasses/ brown sugar product in and out of the fridge for the last 2 days. The distillate is in quart jars that I cover with napkins while on the counter and left uncovered in the fridge.
I had never thought about it before but discovered that my fridge recycles the air from the freezer into the fridge and vice-versa(only makes sense, right?). The reason I discovered this was upon opening the freezer to get some ice, I was smacked in the face by a strong acetone smell and found that my ice cubs are covered with a very thin layer of slush (Never had that before!) so I tasted one of the ice cubes, and it tastes just like the aroma from the air in the freezer. The smell in the fridge is the same, but I expected that from having 8 open quart jars in there. The other thing I found was on the shelf below the air inlet in the fridge was a small puddle of alcohol... huh :?: Anybody ever experienced this before?
I only have to do this until the trade embargo against Cuba is lifted!
tracker0945
Trainee

Post by tracker0945 »

I think that you may also find that the distillate will gradually become watered down because of condensation in the jars.
When I had hotels (see bars) the weights & measures inspectors would never test product ABV from the pourers where bottles were kept under refrigeration because of this fact.
2"x38" Bok mini and
Pot still with Leibig on 45 litre boiler