Oak aging high (60-70%) ABV?

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

EDragon
Novice

Oak aging high (60-70%) ABV?

Post by EDragon »

Product I'm wanting to experiment aging is about 60-70% ABV (an herbal liqueur similar to chartreuse). Has anyone experimented with barrel aging anything that high in ABV? I know some rums are, but I'm wondering if there are any nuances or other things that I should know about. Also, what flavor does that high ABV tend to bring out from the oak (along with the processes that go on during the aging)? The resource here ( http://homedistiller.org/aging/aging/wood" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow ) mentions up to 50-55%ABV but then suggests bringing it down, I'm trying to keep the finished product the same (not adding more water during the process) minus whatever the 'angel's share' takes.

For more questions: any herbs that go better with oak aging? any that go worse?
For more info: barrel will be medium toasted on inside.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Re: Oak aging high (60-70%) ABV?

Post by woodshed »

I age at 62.50% all the time. Many commercial operations do.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I am at about 60% when aging.
EDragon
Novice

Post by EDragon »

Thanks! :)
What flavors do those bring out from the wood? And how burnt is the wood/type of wood you're using? I want to go for vanilla/sweet/creamy ideally.
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

I age at 60% on a lighter char so I get the caramelized flavors coming through. Too dark and it gets a wood flavor real fast.
Snake Oil Whiskey And Miracle Elixir - It'll cure ya or kill ya.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

As posted most aging is in the mid 60%. Oak chips...there are lots of posts with pics. I toast JD oak smoke chips in the oven at 425 deg f for 30 minutes or so.

Keep citrus pith out as much as possible. Almonds need to be skinned.

Some herbs that are great at a week or two get bad after a few weeks. I assume it is the breakdown of the actual plant!

I make maceration and then add the product to the alcohol, so as to have better control of the amount of flavor added.

It takes a lot less herb to change the taste than you would think.

If you want vanilla, buy good vanilla beans and use about one bean per gallon.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
EDragon
Novice

Post by EDragon »

I do maceration, then distill, would be in barrels after that, then perhaps some more maceration for color depending on flavor and color of product from barrels.

Thanks everyone!
Bob Loblaw
Swill Maker

Post by Bob Loblaw »

Legal requirement of bourbon is that it goes into the barrel at <=125 proof - so 60% is definitely not outside of any norm
Easiest way to avoid being on a TTB list is to not purchase a boiler, full column, or condensor from a retailer. Build your own.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

No, you macerate your botanicals in high proof neutral ethanol (vodka) and use the essence to add to other drinks. This is one way. If you macerate before distilling very little to no flavor will carry over.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
EDragon
Novice

Post by EDragon »

DAD300 - it depends on the still, amount of herbs, type of herbs, etc. I use a pot still for that, and also macerate in high octane neutrals (90-95% depending on the batch I get out of my friend's column). Let it macerate for a week or so, then distill in pot still. Trust me, the flavors come through :) They're changed (certain molecules are too heavy, certain other ones change/oxidize in the heat, certain other ones are just more alcohol soluble, etc) but they're there.

That's the way anissettes, absinthes, pastis, etc are all made.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

EDragon wrote:DAD300 - it depends on the still, amount of herbs, type of herbs, etc. I use a pot still for that, and also macerate in high octane neutrals (90-95% depending on the batch I get out of my friend's column). Let it macerate for a week or so, then distill in pot still. Trust me, the flavors come through :) They're changed (certain molecules are too heavy, certain other ones change/oxidize in the heat, certain other ones are just more alcohol soluble, etc) but they're there.

That's the way anissettes, absinthes, pastis, etc are all made.
So you macerate at a high ABV. Then dilute down to 40% with water. And run it again? Wouldn't you get more flavor out of it. If you just macerate at 40% so you didn't dilute any of the flavor out of it. Before running it again.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
EDragon
Novice

Post by EDragon »

Prairiepiss : correct, forgot to include diluting before distillation. I've actually experimented with both, the higher ABV seems to actually 'free' more of the flavors from the herbs in my experience. If you macerated at 40% longer perhaps you'd have the same effect, but I'm not sure. Probably dpends on some of the herbs being used as well.

The main thing I can think of is that you could macerate more than half the volume of solids doing it the way you mentioned, but again I'm not sure if that would 'free' all the flavors that the 90-95% seems to (I imagine 80% would probably be just as good, I just figure why not go all out, and the recipes I find mention the higher ranges). You might get tons more of certain flavors that are are easier at that lower ABV is my guess, but would be missing some as well.

Do you have any experience with herbal products like absinthe or such or experimenting with the lower ABV than higher pre-spirit run?

Thanks!
ED