Oaking and aging the T-Pee way

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Oaking and aging the T-Pee way

Post by T-Pee »

Fish_06 wrote:...maybe this will give me some good deer lease camp fire drink
It will as long as you've done your part in the distillation.

tp
Fish_06
Novice

Post by Fish_06 »

I've done my best everything is checking out right and tasting right so maybe even better with this ideal. I will tell yall one thing I coach my 7 year old son's Coach pitch baseball team an I have parents that I help their sons learn and improve and they won't help as much as this group of folks here that don't know me from anyone else. And I really like it. Noone is trying to make another fail or look stupid. They are all just willing to help you get better at it.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Well, sure. As long as you do your part in an attempt to research the answers to completely basic questions we'll let you live.
Even more importantly, our site executioner was recently 86'd by the Admins so we're a more gentle, reasonable group of renegades. :ewink:

tp
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

I bottled my last UJSSM (at least since everything is all grain now)

For those wanting a lighter oaking more like a Canadian whiskey, use once used oak.

That is what I did with this batch. This was the result of bottling 3 g that have been sitting on oak.

2 were done making pure whiskey and just over 1 year on oak. The other gallon was one that the heads cut was off by about 1/2 a jar and close to 2 years old (no heads now detected and very drinkable but did loose some alcohol went from 65% to 60% sitting in gallon jug with loose fit cork.)

Was 20 full bottles and one about 1/2 full all at about 45%

B
Attachments
ujssm=sm.jpg
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

bitter wrote: Was 20 full bottles and one about 1/2 full all at about 45%
B
A beautiful site! Wish I was on your Christmas list. ;-)
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

I'm a noob
:mrgreen:
But when I see a thread I'm interested in, I start at the beginning and read through.
Except this one is WAY too long with a lot of "oh yeah, I see" kinda posts. I'm not bitchin, just an observation.

Anyway, at some point there was a lot of conversation about how many square inches ( or whatever the metric equivalent of that is) of oak to use per quart or gallon.

I have no commercial interest in the company but hopefully this will help:
The website is http://www.deepsouthbarrels.com/page/ba ... dimensions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Attachments
Barrel Dimensions - Deep South Barrels.jpg
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Bamaberry wrote:Except this one is WAY too long with a lot of "oh yeah, I see" kinda posts. I'm not bitchin, just an observation.
Well, I figger that's better than a thread fulla "whatinell are you talkin' about, tp?" kinda posts. Right?

Good chart. Thanks for the input!

tp
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

Bamaberry wrote:I'm a noob
:mrgreen:
But when I see a thread I'm interested in, I start at the beginning and read through.
Except this one is WAY too long with a lot of "oh yeah, I see" kinda posts. I'm not bitchin, just an observation.

Anyway, at some point there was a lot of conversation about how many square inches ( or whatever the metric equivalent of that is) of oak to use per quart or gallon.

I have no commercial interest in the company but hopefully this will help:
The website is http://www.deepsouthbarrels.com/page/ba ... dimensions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
That chart is unfortunately unreliable. Their calculation of the SA/V for a 53-gal barrel is insanely high. I hope we can spread the word among the hobby distillers that those numbers may lead you wildly astray into over-oaking territory. I discuss the ubiquity and the insanity of that chart in this thread: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =4&t=68297

Hope that helps.
NcHooch
retired

Post by NcHooch »

12 square inches/quart is a pretty good ratio. think of that as a 1.5" x4" slab (6 square in /side)
with that amount of oak, you can age your hooch for 4+ years on the oak, and it just gets better every year.

this is all covered in the old Oaking 101 at http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 64&t=28615
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.
NcHooch
retired

Post by NcHooch »

I'm pretty sure, a reasonable figure for the surface area for a 200L barrel is 3600 sq inches, that's based on the barrel being a nominal 24" diameter and 36" tall. Anyway, divide that 3600 sq in by 200L, and you're left with 18 sq in.
I can't for the life of me imagine where they got 6535 sq in.
NChooch
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

NcHooch wrote:I'm pretty sure, a reasonable figure for the surface area for a 200L barrel is 3600 sq inches, that's based on the barrel being a nominal 24" diameter and 36" tall. Anyway, divide that 3600 sq in by 200L, and you're left with 18 sq in.
I can't for the life of me imagine where they got 6535 sq in.
surface area is 2π r h + 2π r²

2*3.14*12*36 =2713
2*(3.14*(12*12))=904

2713+904 =3600 +/- for bulge

:thumbup: yup math checks out. :roll:

:wtf: i must be bored.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

HDNB wrote:
:thumbup: yup math checks out. :roll:

:wtf: i must be bored.
Tell me about it. I made spreadsheets, man.

Spreadsheets.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I use a 3D cad program that figures volume and surface area for me. Even will do a roll-out for patterns. All I have to do is add the tabs.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Bushman wrote:I use a 3D cad program that figures volume and surface area for me. Even will do a roll-out for patterns. All I have to do is add the tabs.
Bushman, you sounds like a good friend of mine.
Aerospace engineer.
He helped build the stealth bomber back in the day.
That's how he would tackle this job.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
NcHooch
retired

Post by NcHooch »

I just did it in my noggin :lolno:
NChooch
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

I just did it. ;)

tp
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

Been aging with t pee's method for a few years, works great but ive been using new oak, toasted and charred.

I got a half whiskey barrel from lowes to use for this season. Whats everybodys method that uses these? Specifically for rum and ginger brandy. Planned on sanding char off and cutting into sticks. Should used oak be toasted? Not planning on charring.
Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fredistiller »

Great Post!

Question: I received from a friend some oak and some appel tree. But the appel tree is VERY smelly. I like it but my wife find it disgusting. Can I T-Pee toast the two woods together? Or could the smell goes from one wood to another?

Fred
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Do them separately.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fredistiller »

thecroweater wrote:Do them separately.
I thought so...thanks !
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

Just read this entire thread in an evening... holy crap! Excellent info, thank you guys.

I can't just go lopping down trees here (the hippies get pissed off) so I ordered 10 lbs of white oak chunks from some dude who's going to mail it from ebay. Relatively inexpensive (if it works well and is core. wood not bark n crap)....but I have questions.

It is not toasted or charred yet. That's the easy part. 375F in foil for 1.5 hours in the oven the char outside with map torch then soak in cool water. I got that...

What I don't know is "seasoning". How old n dry this wood is? No clue. Best method for recreation of rapid seasoning? Soaking and drying? How many cycles?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

butterpants wrote:What I don't know is "seasoning". How old n dry this wood is? No clue. Best method for recreation of rapid seasoning? Soaking and drying? How many cycles?
Time is time...if the wood isn’t “seasoned”, ie-weathered, you can’t really produce that in a lab (or your kitchen).

But if the sellor has chunked aged oak firewood that’s been setting in his back yard for 5 years or more, chances are it is seasoned. Regardless, you’ve already ordered it so you’ll have to find out. It certainly doesn’t pay to worry about it now, does it? You’ll do what you can with it anyway. It’ll make something....whether or not you like it. If you do your cuts properly, you’ll get something good in the end....but you may need to “get some patience first”.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

This site is somewhat dedicated to not only producing superior product but also alternative methods to bumping up timelines on production of that product. Isn't it? Lotta threads about it. Significant amount of success too. If we can alter rates of perceived aging by surface area contact manipulation, heat/cold cycles, a microwave.... it can be done to rapidly age wood.... just haven't figured it out yet.
Johnlj101
Novice

Post by Johnlj101 »

Got home to a treat today.......a cabinet maker friend of mine sent me a 10 lb box of 1" x 1" x 1.5" white oak cubes that he cut up from left over scrap he had from a recent project. Now I just need the wife to take the kids to a movie so I can toast them!!
oak cubes.jpg
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

Johnlj101 wrote:Got home to a treat today.......a cabinet maker friend of mine sent me a 10 lb box of 1" x 1" x 1.5" white oak cubes that he cut up from left over scrap he had from a recent project. Now I just need the wife to take the kids to a movie so I can toast them!!
In the context of wine and spirits and barrels, there is a difference between what a cabinet-maker calls “seasoned” and what a cooper calls “seasoned”. There’s a reason coopers never use fresh wood. Un-weathered oak will give your spirits a harsh, tannic, green flavor.

You can probably reduce this effect by repeatedly soaking and draining these cubes, many many times, over a long period of time. It would certainly work to place these cubes out in the weather for six months or more.
Johnlj101
Novice

Post by Johnlj101 »

Thanks for the advice...they are sitting out in the drizzling rain now!
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

Cabinet makers do not use fresh wood either, well none the ones I know. Their wood is dried outside for a few years before using it and they say it's better like this.
It's not int the rain because it's covered, but it's exposed to wind and temperature changes.

Do you think it's enough weathering for us ?
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

I've prepared a few sticks the TeePee way. Some left a smoky phenol in the hooch, some did not. Any idea how to alter this? Either making it go away or increasing it?
Ferthy
Novice

Post by Ferthy »

butterpants wrote:I've prepared a few sticks the TeePee way. Some left a smoky phenol in the hooch, some did not. Any idea how to alter this? Either making it go away or increasing it?
In the future you might be able to reduce it by rinsing them off a bit more than usually before tossing them. I have a few jugs going right now. The first few I gave a nice rinse off and rubbed some of the looser char off, the last couple jugs i did not do this.

The first ones I rinsed off more have a cleaner profile in terms of smokiness. The jugs with the less rinsed oak staves are a little Smokey. I’m just going to rinse for all staves really well in the future and blend the Smokey stuff in little by little when I botttle.
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

TY