How to carbon Filter

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Re: How to carbon Filter

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Bagasso wrote:
Prairiepiss wrote:Ever thought about maybe using a better recipe? So maybe you didn't need to go through all this crap to get a good drop?
Why does that seem to bother certain members?
Not certain members, just the better ones.

You can lead a horse to water, blah blah... and ignorance is bliss and all...but damn. Don't you eventually want to stop pretending and do it right?
Bagasso wrote: ...but to me babysitting a still is a lot crappier than filtering.
LAZY!

Does that carbon pull out the hangover, too? Until it does, it will never be as good as making proper cuts with better recipes. And until it does, you should stop giving advice.
Last edited by ShineonCrazyDiamond on Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Bagasso wrote:
Prairiepiss wrote:Ever thought about maybe using a better recipe? So maybe you didn't need to go through all this crap to get a good drop?
Agree on working on a better recipe but to me babysitting a still is a lot crappier than filtering.

Another of the Instant Gratification crowd, eh? You just made my personal "Do Not Take Seriously" list for the time being. Congratulations. :problem:

tp
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:LAZY!
Nope, just isn't my cup of tea and I'm honest about it.
Don't you eventually want to stop pretending and do it right?
Had a friend invite me to a double on the rocks from a $180 bottle of 21 year old scotch. My pretend stuff is better.
Does that carbon pull out the hangover, too? Until it does, it will never be as good as making proper cuts with better recipes. And until it does, you should stop giving advise.
pH treating does that (at the cost of flavor) but I bet you still don't want to hear about that either. Doesn't bother me at all.
Last edited by Bagasso on Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

T-Pee wrote:Another of the Instant Gratification crowd, eh? You just made my personal "Do Not Take Seriously" list for the time being. Congratulations. :problem:
There's nothing instant about it.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Bagasso wrote:
Agree on working on a better recipe but to me babysitting a still is a lot crappier than filtering.

I don't understand your post here?

You have to babysit the still if you filter or not. Mater of fact if you don't babysit the still. You won't have anything to filter? If you so chose to filter?

Filtering just adds another unneeded step.

If I can make a good wash. Run it once through the still. Make good cuts. And have a product that doesn't need to be filtered. So can anyone. So why add another step?

I am not opposed to carbon filtering. I am opposed to carbon filtering for the wrong reasons. Including laziness and greed. Both of which will not get you a great drop.

Personaly I find the flavors carbon filtering adds revolting. But I know that some out there like it. And I would rather see those people take the time to make a great product first before the filter it. Not use the filtering to try and make a crap drop taste good.

No matter how hard you polish that turd. It's still shit.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Richard7
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Richard7 »

I made a really easy to use carbon filter out of the right material. It sits in the corner of a spare bed room covered in dust. I learned if you do it right you don't need it!
"yeah? yeah? the maple flavored kind?" A dog on you tube.
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

Prairiepiss wrote:I don't understand your post here?
Less babysitting.
Filtering just adds another unneeded step.
Not if it takes the place of extra runs.
If I can make a good wash. Run it once through the still. Make good cuts. And have a product that doesn't need to be filtered. So can anyone. So why add another step?
Tried everything recommended here, availability permitting, and never had anything I liked without running it at least 4 times.
I am not opposed to carbon filtering. I am opposed to carbon filtering for the wrong reasons. Including laziness and greed. Both of which will not get you a great drop.
I don't recall asking anyone if they thought my reasons were right or wrong.

The OP started off with a fine drop that had a sweet note that he couldn't cut out. That seems like a good reason but some people still seem to have a need to fling poo.
Personaly I find the flavors carbon filtering adds revolting. But I know that some out there like it. And I would rather see those people take the time to make a great product first before the filter it. Not use the filtering to try and make a crap drop taste good.
I have always been of the idea that it isn't adding flavors but uncovering flavors.
No matter how hard you polish that turd. It's still shit.
Assumptions as to the original state of the drop.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Bagasso wrote:Agree on working on a better recipe but to me babysitting a still is a lot crappier than filtering.

Getting back to this particular post it sounds like you'd rather set it, forget it, and walk away from the still because you just don't have time to make sure things run properly and then coming back with the idea that filtering will magically erase your shortcomings... This isn't an attitude we want to convey to the membership... Whether that's how you meant it to sound or not, that's how it reads, and that's both dangerous and lazy... If that's not how you mean for it to sound, clarify yourself...
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

rad14701 wrote:If that's not how you mean for it to sound, clarify yourself...
Already done.

Assumptions and knee jerk reactions seem to be the new norm.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Bagasso wrote:
rad14701 wrote:If that's not how you mean for it to sound, clarify yourself...
Already done.

Assumptions and knee jerk reactions seem to be the new norm.
Considering on all the assumptions you have so far made in this thread, I'll take your expert advice on that. :clap:
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

Bagasso wrote:
The OP started off with a fine drop that had a sweet note that he couldn't cut out. That seems like a good reason but some people still seem to have a need to fling poo.
It's already been said. That sweet note won't go. Ever noticed how high priced vodka has it. Or even watered down everclear.

Although. I suppose that pvc would cover that smell/taste.
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On
InglisHill
Rumrunner

Post by InglisHill »

I was reading a report that said instead of using activated carbon, that, activated cat tails produce a better result. Something to do with the chemical composition of the hair of the dog, no wait, cat.

Anyways, I will see if I can find it. No synthetic cats, and, please be good to nature, only use already dead cats, and activate the tails.

Dead Cat Tail Vodka.

Now that gentlemen is a clear winner.
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

bearriver wrote:
Bagasso wrote:Considering on all the assumptions you have so far made in this thread, I'll take your expert advice on that. :clap:
Which would those be?
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

Tokoroa_Shiner wrote:It's already been said. That sweet note won't go.
Actually the OP said that he was able to get rid of it.

Go figure.
TDS
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TDS »

I don't use the carbon anymore, but if anyone did come here for actual information about it, here's my advice.
Don't use pvc.
Use pharmaceutical grade carbon.
Rinse it! You can never fully filter out the dust.
If you didn't rinse it, forget coffee filters etc, just run it again.

It was a useful crutch when I was learning, but I got better and it's been put aside. Nowadays I just cut the hearts super tight and set aside everything else for the next run. I only drink about a third of my product and rerun the rest. Sounds like a little, but after a few runs with the last stuff thrown in, abv goes up, product goes up. And some of my leftovers would do for a drink in a pinch, it's just not as good.
Cheers!
:twisted:
"You know, you can just buy that stuff right up the road" he said.
I just smiled, and said quietly, "No you can't".
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Here is an informative video on carbon filtering. The master distiller walks the camera through all the proper steps and precautions, and goes into a good amount of detail.
Carbon filtering process at the Rick Rolling Distillery in California
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

TDS wrote:I only drink about a third of my product and rerun the rest.
If I could get this kind of return I would probably do the same.

Guess the devil really is in the details.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

bearriver wrote:Here is an informative video on carbon filtering. The master distiller walks the camera through all the proper steps and precautions, and goes into a good amount of detail.
Bearriver please check your video as it is a music video probably not the one you intended.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Bushman wrote:
bearriver wrote:Here is an informative video on carbon filtering. The master distiller walks the camera through all the proper steps and precautions, and goes into a good amount of detail.
Bearriver please check your video as it is a music video probably not the one you intended.
I'll say. :wtf:

tp
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

A common method used to address trolls in forums :silent: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickrolling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Thanks bear.
At least I learned something from these posts.
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

bearriver wrote:A common method used to address trolls in forums :silent: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickrolling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
If you don't want to take part in the discussion then just don't. No need to troll.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I tried to get this back on track as it seems several members are interested in the info. If we can't add positive info to the OP's question maybe it is time to close this thread slamming is different from constructive criticism!
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

Bushman wrote:I tried to get this back on track as it seems several members are interested in the info. If we can't add positive info to the OP's question maybe it is time to close this thread slamming is different from constructive criticism!
I think the OP did a very good job of answering his own question.

Not only did he go out of his way to test something, but still has to put up with criticism from those who apparently didn't even bother to read the OP or show the common courtesy of acknowledging that they are having a discussion with adults who are not new to this.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Bushman wrote:slamming is different from constructive criticism!
I got no dog in this race but I would hate to see it locked for slamming. If slamming is the problem, and I'm not saying it is here, we should deal with the slammers if they are out of line.
I have never considered carbon filtering, but I did get a lot of seemingly useful info out of this tread for future reference if I should ever want to experiment with an ultra neutral.
From where I'm sitting it just looked like another lively conversation about something a little out of the ordinary, maybe a little misunderstood, and then a dog pile.
I get that it makes sense to try to make the best drop from a recipe/protocol standpoint first, but is there anything objectively wrong or bad about the use of carbon filtering?
I know the PVC thing prolly didn't help get this off on the right foot, but outside of that is there anything unhealthy or unsafe about filtering?
Thank you to Roberto and Bagasso for weathering the storm.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

I can't get that flippin song outta my head. Thanks Bear.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Bagasso wrote:
Bushman wrote:I tried to get this back on track as it seems several members are interested in the info. If we can't add positive info to the OP's question maybe it is time to close this thread slamming is different from constructive criticism!
I think the OP did a very good job of answering his own question.

Not only did he go out of his way to test something, but still has to put up with criticism from those who apparently didn't even bother to read the OP or show the common courtesy of acknowledging that they are having a discussion with adults who are not new to this.
I agree, not planning on doing anything at this point just keeping it on the radar!
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Sorry for misleading those of you not involved in the nonsense here. I'm just one of those who are irritated to no end with the arrogent babysitting comments. Someone with that many posts should know he's over the line. A member could get seriously hurt after airing advice like that. WTF mate?

Here is a real contribution. If you want to post process your liquor... Bushman and Odin both are utilizing sonic "cleaning". This process intrigues me with an entire array of concepts, that carbon does not apply to. Look it up here on the forums. I expect Santa will drop me off one of these machines next X-mas to play with.

I'll admit Shady's use of a small amount of carbon to replace a generic still output filter was also a readily ignored gem. Haven't been that before. :clap:
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

bearriver wrote:A member could get seriously hurt after airing advice like that. WTF mate?
If you would have taken the time to understand why the OP wanted to try carbon and also what was meant by my babysitting comment, you would have realized that no line was crossed.

I never said that a still should be left alone and I expressed afterwards, before your comment, that what I meant was the need for multiple subsequent runs.

Here is a real contribution. If you want to post process your liquor... Bushman and Odin both are utilizing sonic "cleaning".
You do understand that just because something doesn't "intrigue" you, it doesn't mean that it isn't a contribution?
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Carbon filtering isn't a substitute for proper cuts or ageing. But filtering does help to remove flavor, both wanted and unwanted. For those who say's it won't, I have one question. Have you tried it?
The best procedure seems to be. Strip the wash, dilute and filter the low-wines before redistilling.
I'm here to trade information and experience.

I don't like dog piles.
Shadylane