apple wood ageing?

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hurley
Novice

apple wood ageing?

Post by Hurley »

Hi I have access to fresh cut apple trees and want to know your thoughts on ageing on apple wood?
S-Cackalacky
retired

Re: apple wood ageing?

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I would suggest that you split it to expose the grain - maybe even cut it up into the size sticks you plan to use. leave it out in the weather to season for several months - long enough to allow the lignins to leach out.

There are some woods that don't produce good flavors when charred. I don't know if applewood is one of those or not. Maybe someone else can advise you on how to prep it.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

apple wood is good for apple brandy you can lightly char it and yeah it would want to be dried right out , it does add a nice interesting flavour :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
335Guy
Novice

Post by 335Guy »

I really like apple wood for aging. I use apple wood chunks packaged for use for smokers. They are about fist-sized chunks. I split them down into about 2" x 2" x 3" long pieces. I toast them wrapped tight in aluminum foil in my oven at a little less than 400 degrees for two hours. I put a decent char on them prior to use. I put three to five pieces in a half gallon of 130 to 150 proof product. I've used it on UJSSM, sweet feed, rum, and some grape brandy with great results. I like it better than toasted oak chips. W/ my stuff, I found a month to two gives a great reddish brown color. I've only been using it for about ten months (that's the oldest stuff I have that was put on apple...), and that brandy has an amazing aroma and taste. I'm down to my last quart of the brandy that is still sitting on the apple chunks. I'm debating if I should break it out over the Christmas/New Year holidays, or if I should let it keep on aging. When I air it out every other week or so, it kills me not to take sip (but that's what knocked me down to it being my last quart of it, lol!).