Lemons vs limes

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

iwine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Lemons vs limes

Post by iwine »

Lemons vs limes
I was just wondering. If a lime twist is good in your rum and coke. Would it be good in the ferment. I’m About to make rum. I was thinking of using lime instead of lemon in the recipe. I was thinking that there is a slight possibility that some flavor might come over. The recipe calls for juice of lemons. Personally I don’t think there will be any difference. I was thinking that it might add some flavor during ferment.
Question
Has anyone Fermented rum with lime juice instead of lemon juice?
Will any flavor transfer from ferment to finished product?
What were the results?
Is the acidity the same in a lime vs lemon?
dan_buddy
Bootlegger

Re: Lemons vs limes

Post by dan_buddy »

iwine wrote:Lemons vs limes
I was just wondering. If a lime twist is good in your rum and coke. Would it be good in the ferment. I’m About to make rum. I was thinking of using lime instead of lemon in the recipe. I was thinking that there is a slight possibility that some flavor might come over. The recipe calls for juice of lemons. Personally I don’t think there will be any difference. I was thinking that it might add some flavor during ferment.
Question
What were the results?

Lemons ph of 2.00 -2.60
Limes ph of 2.00 - 2.35
Same thing
I don't think the lemon is put there for taste I think it's for ph
I just did for ferments and lemon juice dident change the flavour or the speed of the ferment
10 teaspoons in 30 liters
In my opinion it's better off in the glass when it's all done
But this is only my first years distilling and some other people might have some better answers for you
Just trying to help who I can
Alcohol cant help your problems , but nether does water.
iwine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by iwine »

Thank you so much. :thumbup:
You’re still farther ahead than me. I appreciate it. This one is my fifth ferment. I didn’t think there was a difference, but unless a person asks the question you won’t know the answer.
I have not come across much info on PH other than bits and pieces, here and there.

So the long and the short of it is that there is no differance and use whatever is cheeper.

Wishful thinking. It would be nice if someone of greater knowledge could do a write up strictly on PH on what to use and what raises and lowers PH and what to use to do so, and by how much. Acidity and alkalinity and how to control in a ferment.

P.S.
I'll search the internet to learn more on PH if I find anything interesting I'll bring it back here.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

I don't know too much about it, but I can give you some info to further research...
I use Calcium Carbonate to increase pH (raise the number) and usually backset to lower the pH. Sometimes I use lemon juice out of a bottle to lower.
I know you can also use regular baking soda to increase the pH, but that will bring some sodium into the mix. There is a good thread on here somewhere about using oyster shells to both raise and stabilize pH.
You can also get granulated citric acid at homebrew shops to make things more acidic. Good luck with your search.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
The KYChemist
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by The KYChemist »

My research, and why I use lemon juice, is for inverting the sugar for my washes. The citric acid aids in breaking down the glucose chains, making the sugar easier to digest, by the yeast. The easier it is for the yeast to digest, the less chance of off tastes in your final product. Or so I've read.
Whiskey is rays of sunshine, held together with water.
dan_buddy
Bootlegger

Post by dan_buddy »

Ky chemist would lime juice work the same for you ?
And these " glucose chains " in white sugar and molasses ?
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

There are threads on inverting sugar that are not hard to find. It works great at it's intended purpose from my experiences.

I think Rad wrote a tutorial on the subject.
dan_buddy
Bootlegger

Post by dan_buddy »

Thank beariver
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

never inverted sugar, never seen a reason to. I use food grade molly .

to the OP . if you where to use enough lemon/ lime to try to flavor your rum , you would have to use so much in your ferment it would freak out. the molly would out flavor the lemon/lime from the beginning . do a bunch of rum ferments. figure out what you like and be able to repeat it. then add you lemon/lime to your rum and coke. my rum tastes like nothing on the shelves . if your looking for a Bacardi type rum, please let me know . ive never aimed for that style but im hoping that that my new boka will bring me closer
dan_buddy
Bootlegger

Post by dan_buddy »

My rum tastes like nothing on the shelves to witch is nice in a way but kinda disappointing I wish I could make some good store bought like drinking rum I don't like any rums that I made and I've gone threw 10 gallons of Molly feed grade and fancy .. I'm start a ujssm now hoping I can make somthing I like next year I will get a BOP and try some all grain somthing like a Canadian rye whiskey hopfuily I get better results then my rums
Last edited by dan_buddy on Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

iwine wrote:Lemons vs limes
Question
What were the results?
Hi iwine,

The lemons are simply to increase the acidity so that yeast and desirable bacteria reproduce, as where pathogens are limited.

If you truly want lemon flavor to come through, it may be best to simply throw the skins of lemon and lime into the still. The rind contains many oils and some compounds that will distill over into the newmake spirit.
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
Kamil
Novice

Post by Kamil »

Lime of lemons they have a richer flavor.
"I to wszystko bez najmniejszej kropelki rumu." - Jack Sparrow (Piraci z Karaibów)
"Dlaczego rum!?" - Jack Sparrow
"Dlaczego zawsze brakuje rumu?" - Jack Sparrow
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

For a lime rum add a half of a small lime per quart to the white dog rum and let it set for four to six months. Nice and different!
GA Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods