Killians and Cornflakes cereal

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Pothead here

Killians and Cornflakes cereal

Post by Pothead here »

Some of you may remember when I posted about the killians that was left over in my keg, and what I did with it. Well at first, you could smell the hopps from the killians (which isn't a very pleasent smell). But it didn't tast all that bad. But now that it has aged on oak for a while...all the hopps smell is gone, and it tastes like a decent corn whiskey. Although, I wish I wouldn't have charred the oak as much as I did.
Some of you asked me to let you know how it turned out, so...

I am going to try just cornflakes cereal pretty soon, so I will let you all know how that turns out.

Also, I remember the whole Oatmeal "SMOP" conversation, and I cant remember how much oatmeal to use for a 5 gallon batch. Also how much amylase and beano to use, and so on. (my wife has been buying a can of oatmeal here and there for me until I have enough for a batch) I have 3 2 lb cans so far. I am debating whether or not to mix it with the hominy grits that i have or to just hold out till I have all the oatmeal that I need. I remember reading how good the oatmeal was right out of the still, so ....
Fourway
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Killians and Cornflakes cereal

Post by Fourway »

Pothead here wrote: I cant remember how much oatmeal to use for a 5 gallon batch.
you just make 5 gallons of cooked oatmeal... cooked like you'd serve it for breakfast. takes between 8 and 12 lbs depending on your oats.

Amalase and beano... I guess HM might have realistic amounts for these... here's what I did: I started a couple puff packs of ale yeast and in a quart jar with some oat malt that I'd made from horse oats ("some" as I'm sure you realize is an exacting scientific amount... for the uninitatiated it is defined as a scant handfull more than "a little" and around a pile less than a "buttload"... but I'd say I filled the jar maybe a third full of crushed malted oats) filled it with hot water gave it a shake and let it cool till it didn't feel warmer than me added the yeast squirted in maybe a third of a little bottle of liquid beano, the amount of powdwered A-B Amylase that seemed right... prolly around three quarters of a cup... maybe half a cup.... and a healthy squirt of the sample of industrial liquid amylase I got an enzyme manufacturer to send me to try out (minimum ordr 40 kilos)....
I let that start to foam up a bit and dumped it on top of the mass of porrage... stirred the top inch of oats into the slurry and closed it up. three stirs around 48 hours apart and the whole thing is liquid and smells wonderful.
"a woman who drives you to drink is hard to find, most of them will make you drive yourself."
anon--

Post by Guest »

:D THANKS :D
AlaOutlaw
Novice

Post by AlaOutlaw »

I am going to start an Oatmeal SMOP in a few days following THM's recipe posted above. I am going to be making a 25 gallon wash with 50 pounds of oats. I bought a pound of ID CARLSON Amylase enzyme powder but it doesn't tell how much to use per gallon of wash. Can anybody help me out on the amount of Amylase because I don't have a clue. The only thing close to an amount I got was and I quote:

[1 Pound should give you enough to make quite a few batches of corn wash. We use about 4 to 6 table spoons per batch to convert about 20 pounds of corn to fermentable sugar.]

As you can see those instructions aren't very helpful. I have no idea how many gallons of wash he is preparing per batch or even if you would need different amounts for corn than you would oats. Also, I have a pound of this stuff how else can I use it besides oats. Thanks for any and all help.
Professor Duck
Novice

Post by Professor Duck »

Where'd you get the amylase from? I wouldn't mind getting some.
Image If Leonardo da Vinci had a video camera.
AlaOutlaw
Novice

Post by AlaOutlaw »

I ordered the amylase from ebay but the seller I got it from doesn't have anymore listed on ebay right now. His website is:

http://stilldrinkin.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

He doesn't have the amylase listed on his site either but he said he has seven pounds available. He also said that when these seven pounds are gone he will not be able to get anymore. If you emailed him he could probably help you right now. There is one more listing for amylase on ebay but it is small bottles. Hope that helps.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

by the info youve givin wouldnt 13 tb spoons do a 50 lb grain wash?
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
AlaOutlaw
Novice

Post by AlaOutlaw »

I guess you are right Tater if it takes the same amount to convert oats as it does corn. I don't know and I was hoping somebody who did could clarify this for me.