Facts on Infusion

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Flatlands_Hillbilly
Novice

Re: Facts on Infusion

Post by Flatlands_Hillbilly »

Same here. I traveled and worked the resorts the first 7 years out of the Marines as a chef. So, I got a knack for interesting flavor profiles. It transfers well to this as well.
“Alcohol may be man’s worst enemy, but the Bible says love your enemy.” - Frank Sinatra
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Post by distiller_dresden »

I've been toying with the idea of infusing some of those sweet, spicy cherry peppers, the all red ones you can get, I don't know if they are slightly pickled or something. Using that red and flavor profile with cherries, also macerating, and wondering about herbs. Some fennel would be a nice background to fruity/spicy and cherry...
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

Has the idea of a savory liquor been discussed yet? I feel like I had a conversation with someone about this concept but that may have been somewhere other than this forum. Usually we think about spiced liquors as being on the sweeter end of the spectrum but how about something savory? Maybe something with a bit of salt as an ingredient. Spicy, warm but less like desert and more like the main course....
SOLVE ET COAGULA, ET HABEBIS MAGISTERIUM
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

I had this bizarre shot of a mixture of sweet pickle juice and cheap vodka the other night and it was....well interesting, definitely what I would call savory though I think the pickle juice by itself was a bit funky. I think a savory blend could be achieved with the right spices, any ideas on this one shy of clemato or bloody Mary's?
Flatlands_Hillbilly
Novice

Post by Flatlands_Hillbilly »

I infused a pint of rosemary extract and a basil extract. both came out wonderful. I use both in a lamb chili in stead of using the actual herb and it worked great. It will save me quite a bit of money on buying fresh herbs. Thinking about seeing if I can get the essence of a mushroom. Don't know but gonna give it a try. Worst that can happen is a bad tasting liquor which I can run back through in a stripping run of another batch.
“Alcohol may be man’s worst enemy, but the Bible says love your enemy.” - Frank Sinatra
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Post by distiller_dresden »

Flatlands_Hillbilly wrote:I infused a pint of rosemary extract and a basil extract. both came out wonderful. I use both in a lamb chili in stead of using the actual herb and it worked great. It will save me quite a bit of money on buying fresh herbs. Thinking about seeing if I can get the essence of a mushroom. Don't know but gonna give it a try. Worst that can happen is a bad tasting liquor which I can run back through in a stripping run of another batch.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23803

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4241

Mixed results; Odin tried making liquor from mushrooms, and his response doesn't instill confidence. OTOH infusion/maceration seems to be more promising. I would lean toward using a rum base, just because I am a rum psycho, but I think the sweetness may compliment the mushrooms? Red wheat base might be nice too, it's creamy and sweet.
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

Mushrooms might be interesting depending on the varieties used and the strength of the ethanol used to extract them. The chemical profile of mushrooms is split between very polar compounds and very non polar compounds with little in between. Lot of polysaccharides but only in water dominated extracts and generally only with sufficient cooking. Some of the more characteristic flavor compounds require higher ethanol to extract them along with any other qualities. Depends on the mushrooms in question.....
Tennessee_Spirits
Novice

Post by Tennessee_Spirits »

Amazing page on infusions that may have gone inactive. I'm very new to gin making and recently purchased a column and gin basket from AliExpress. I don't know which botanicals to make the gin I don't know I want? Confusing interesting topic. I've imagined stopping the column and changing the basket to make several different gins in one run as I have no idea what to do with 3-5 gallons of gin that is all alike, other than give it away. I may find some new gin loving friends!

Any ideas of how to best pick botanicals to get the flavor profile desired? I'll keep studying these interesting posts.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Tennessee_Spirits wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:55 pmAny ideas of how to best pick botanicals to get the flavor profile desired? I'll keep studying these interesting posts.
Pick a gin you like, find out as much as you can about how they run it and what botanicals they use, then replicate it as best as you can with what you've got.