Some Inspiration

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bowhunter98
Novice

Some Inspiration

Post by Bowhunter98 »

Hey all. I am looking for some inspiration on some easy ways to flavor my alcohol. I've done apple pie enough to where I have a good smooth recipe for it but I'm looking for something a little bit stronger. Being fairly new at this and short on resources, I am looking for fairly simple ideas. I was thinking of trying a peach flavor but it seems like there is more to it than adding fruit and sitting it for a few weeks. Just looking for some inspiration on easy flavoring ideas that you all enjoyed and could be around a fall camp fire.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Some Inspiration

Post by bearriver »

This line of products is great: http://shop.lorannoils.com/super-streng ... 1442382830" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I suggest only adding a few drops per quart and then doing a taste test before adding more... Some of that stuff is unbelievably concentrated.
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Have you seen the recipe for strawberry panty dropper in the tried and true section? Its awesome.
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

How you gonna get a oil to mix?
Crosby an who ever sells faverin.
You tryin to get a true flavor you best drop the proof.

Ole boys was doin someone a faver an chanced peach
all over the place. Never could get it right for her.
she wanted it to taste like bitin in to a peach at 100 proof.
Ole boys didn't know enough.

So I'm tole
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Oak....whiskey is GREAT sipping by a campfire.

Try making a gin. Odin's Easy Gin is a fantastic recipe. Add a couple of ice cubes and a squeeze of lime...delicious.

Another...macerate some coffee beans and add a vanilla bean too. Makes a great French vanilla coffee.

Get creative...there's so much to experiment. Go check out the recipe forum...lots there for ideas.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Bowhunter98
Novice

Post by Bowhunter98 »

I was looking to get it somewhere around 80proof at the lowest if that is possible. I did see the panty dropper mentioned in other threads but didn't get a chance to look at the actual recipe yet. So if I am going to use any kind of fruit the best was to do it is by adding alc. drain it, then extract the juice from the fruit? Someone else in another thread said I could also cut with some peach schnapps and then add peaches but I couldn't find anywhere that told me a good amount to go with on that method. Btw the less I have to buy in the Internet and get shipped in the better.
Bowhunter98
Novice

Post by Bowhunter98 »

Thanks still stirring. Those are some good ideas and I know the girlfriend would like the French vinilla idea. She loves coffee. The reason why I am asking is because I don't make it often or get a lot out. Want to make sure I'm going with a good recipe.
Bowhunter98
Novice

Post by Bowhunter98 »

Found a good sweet tea recipe. I've had a really smooth sweet tea shine late one night at camp and loved it. Needless to say I forgot about how he made it until I saw the thread.
Tap
Swill Maker

Post by Tap »

Try a Google search for "fat washing."

Tons of different flavours using a pretty simple technique.

One of my favourites is brown butter and almonds with oaked UJ. Makes a great base for hot toddies.

Just don't get sucked into the bacon flavour... Been there done that... Not a very nice time.

Tap. Out.
Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Appalachia-Shiner »

Bowhunter98 wrote:Found a good sweet tea recipe. I've had a really smooth sweet tea shine late one night at camp and loved it. Needless to say I forgot about how he made it until I saw the thread.
I take a Quart or bit larger JAR...fillit bout half full of Shine, put 4 teabags in it, fill with water and sit it in the Sun for about 8 hours of total sun time...obviously best on a sunny day. Bring it in and put in the fridge, Fill a large glass full of ice cubes, water and sugar and lemon to taste. Dump in how ever much Tea Snine mix you feel like.
Works for me. Sweet Tea Shine.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Appalachia-Shiner wrote:... Sweet Tea Shine...
:thumbup: :thumbup:
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Bowhunter98
Novice

Post by Bowhunter98 »

The vote is in. Sweet tea will be the next one I try out. May keep a few jars out for other flavore too.