aging with forced air!

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

partonken
Bootlegger

aging with forced air!

Post by partonken »

Im trying to set up a system of forced aging using a small aquarium pump into a 4" stone and let it airate for 10 days . It didn't work as the pressure wasn't enough. Anybody got any ideas on how to get it bubbling . maybe a bigger aquarium pump? I would like to hear what you have for this. thanks!
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: aging with forced air!

Post by bearriver »

An aquarium pump, no matter the size, will not generate any appreciable pressure.

Which is it you want to accomplish? Aeration or pressurization?
partonken
Bootlegger

Post by partonken »

I tried a small air pump for an aquarium with a 4" stone but nothing came out the stone. Maybe I need a bigger pump.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Try blowing on the outlet. If you can blow through it, the valve is buggered.
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

partonken wrote:Im trying to set up a system of forced aging using a small aquarium pump into a 4" stone and let it airate for 10 days.
I would think that any aquarium air pump would work even if it can't push air out of the entire stone. I've hooked mine up to a 6.5" bamboo skewer and saw bubbles. I'm guessing that that is tighter than any airstone.

One thing you will have to look out for are airstones that are formed using a binder. They might hold up in water but ethanol might break the binder down and you don't want to be drinking that.

Also 10 day is too much time. Someone did something similar and lost 15% of their distillate in 3 days.
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

I use an cheap aquarium air pump to aerate my stuff after a spirit run to help flash off the higher alcohols ( early-middle heads) for around 30 mins before airing out overnight. IMHO, it gives the airing out process a "head start" and have been pleased with the results. I suspect if I did this for 10 days I would lose a LOT of proof and actually be detrimental, I could be wrong.
Good luck,
BG