Using temperature to make cuts???

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

RumDummyDrunk
Swill Maker

Post by RumDummyDrunk »

I've been doing some reading around here and I'm confused. I'm reading a lot of people are using temperature to make cuts. My first question is why are people using temperature to make cuts? Are they getting a more consistent product by using temperature? What exactly are they achieving by using temperature? I've never heard of such a thing. I've been around stills all my life, and I've never seen cuts be made that way. My tongue tells me when it's time to cut it off. A little Smidgen from the tap and a little smidgen of water in a spoon, glass, palm of your hand, or whatever else you may have tells me what it's time to cut or run.
But why is the rum gone? Capt Jack Sparrow
Drinking Rum before 9:00am makes you a pirate, not an alcoholic
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Using temperature to make cuts???

Post by Bigbob »

I think your reading posts from novices. Most experienced stillers do the same as you.
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Yours is the right way. No idea why some try to use temp. Need more experience I would guess.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you do the same product over and over, keeping good records, you can use those records to make cuts on the fly, or even automate.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Goose said ole boy can't really see much by the light of the moon he reckons (and I'm paraphrasing here).
And don't really need to see. Can smell and taste just fine in the dark.

Shortly there after someone said that you need to become intimately familiar with what is coming out of your still at every stage (still paraphrasing here).

Was one of the first bits that I took to heart.

I do use forced reflux but do try and think like a pot stiller.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Feel is often overlooked. The best at cuts need nothing more. The transitions are obvious to the fingers with enough practice.
sungazer
Bootlegger

Post by sungazer »

That is fine if you are going to collect in small 200ml jars or taste every 200ml. However keeping an eye on the temperature for a column refulx still gives you the ability to adjust on the fly before any product even comes out. once it is out for sure test using all the senses and tools you have available.
RumDummyDrunk
Swill Maker

Post by RumDummyDrunk »

wow i wasnt expecting all this feedback... im overwhelmed
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

After you have been distilling for a few decades, you might be quite happy to program your still's behavior using temperatures taken at certain points. The big mistake is assuming that using temperatures provided by a youtuber or internet forum member is going to help a newbie.
RumDummyDrunk
Swill Maker

Post by RumDummyDrunk »

I agree with the YouTube thing. YouTube is full of misinformation.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Try distilling at 6000 to 7000 ft and see how it changes. Aziotropic is around 161 deg.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

No.
But imo a thermometer is a good tool also for a potstill. It makes the run easier to understand. And it's more exact and easier to read than a parrot.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
RumDummyDrunk
Swill Maker

Post by RumDummyDrunk »

I may be an old dog but I still can hunt. Guess I can learn a new trick, my next rum batch I'll keep notes on Temp but I'm cutting the way I've always done it. Maybe I will find some magic numbers
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

There is a magic number for my still that is a very good predictor for the arrival of the cardboard. If I see that number come up when I'm over halfway through a nice jar, I'll swap it out. If it comes up near the beginning of a jar, there is a very high chance that jar will be going into the feints collection.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Smell and taste are the senses I use for making cuts, another that I use a a lot is the one Woodshed mentioned,"feel". Feeling your spirit as its leaving the still can tell you a lot. Does it squeak between you fingers when you rub it hard, does it feel oily or slimy or somewhere in between ? What does it smell like if you rub it hard between your palms or fingers? Does it smell different than when you smell it straight from the jar or off the still? All of these things can tell you something about what your still is producing at any given time without fancy gadgets, and with practice will help you make good cuts.
RumDummyDrunk
Swill Maker

Post by RumDummyDrunk »

Fyi, I have done a rum run since last post and i kept notes on temps for my cuts. I cut my run like i always do... Taste, smell, feel, look etc. I will be interested in seeing if there are some magic numbers.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Every still and every wash can be different. I know my UJSSM each generation the cuts are a little broader for me. Maybe I liek more tails or maybe its getting better. Only thing for pot still I pay attention to the temp for is to know when to quit once things are in the 208-210 I quit collecting tails/feints.

B
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Seems like at the hobby scale it's easier to be most peticular about what happens within the span of 300 ml plus or minus.
If you build that into your margin (after you learn about and become intimate with your process and recipes ) then collection by temps is just fine.......

At this point, I collect 600 ml as an automatic default before I'm into what I consider hearts.
All based on the same recipe /process that I've been fooling with here for a while.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.