The Badmotivator Bain-Marie and Oak Barrel

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The Badmotivator Bain-Marie and Oak Barrel

Post by bluc »

:thumbup: Love your work
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Badmotivator wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:31 pm This is a little over a ton of four-year wood from Canton Cooperage in Kentucky. I should be set for a while. Time to get to work. :D
8E9A08C0-A6F5-4296-95DD-4FB46354D9BE.jpeg
Good lord, you must have scored a pretty sweet deal to purchase that much wood. That's several lifetime supplies of oak for most of us. Are you getting ready to mass produce the barrels and open an Amazon store front or something?
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:54 pm Good lord, you must have scored a pretty sweet deal to purchase that much wood. That's several lifetime supplies of oak for most of us. Are you getting ready to mass produce the barrels and open an Amazon store front or something?
I estimate that this wood will make around 600 of my barrels. It’s a leap of faith, for sure. :)

Hmmm. Amazon storefront, huh? Never even considered it until just now. I bet if I did though, you’d see knockoffs in a month or two.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Reckon you ought to apply for a patent.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Deplorable wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:52 am Reckon you ought to apply for a patent.
Too late now. The idea is already in the public domain. Also a patent is an expensive bit of paper that lets you spend more money on lawyers. Better to be the first to market and reap the initial benefits of a monopoly while your competitors scramble to catch up.

Yes... that is the bitter voice of experience!
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Interesting thread!
-- Rrmuf
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

Hi, folks. I thought I'd share another significant moment for me and for this concept:

Things are moving fast now! My records indicate that Barrel #100 was made just 8 months ago.

I'm starting to think there might really be something to this idea. :)

Happy New Year to everyone. Be well!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Dang. Thats impressive.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Badmotivator wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:47 pm Things are moving fast now! My records indicate that Barrel #100 was made just 8 months ago.
That's me! I have #100 since I figured it was an important #...

Goal is to get in in a Solera set up along with #101.

Thanks again,
Duck
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
ThomasBrewer
Swill Maker

Post by ThomasBrewer »

Badmotivator - I saw your handywork on one of Jesse's latest videos! I browsed your website right after, but see that you're completely sold out of everything. Congrats on a fantastically successful product!
dirtybird33
Novice

Post by dirtybird33 »

Congrats on 200, it sounds like thing are heading the right direction. I bet your next 100 will be much shorter. Good luck in 2022. Good thing you have a couple pallets of seasoned wood, do you have your next on order? You may need it

;)
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Sweet 200! Congrats Badmo.

I see you have some new tools and a big stack of wood too. I’d love to come see how your shop is shaping up and will give you a call next time I’m in your neck of the woods. Happy new year.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
hartmanhooch
Novice

Post by hartmanhooch »

Just took delivery of #182 & #184, can’t wait to fill em up, thanks Badmo!
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

hartmanhooch wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:03 am Just took delivery of #182 & #184, can’t wait to fill em up, thanks Badmo!
Awesome! I’m super grateful for your interest and enthusiasm. It’s unbelievably gratifying to hear that folks are happy with them. Keep in touch!
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I'm Loving these BadMo's. Perfect size to fill on a single a large batch run and still have extra for top up.. Three of these is equivalent to 5g.

I'll add that Ben's customer service is excellent if you decide to purchase but also encourage DIY which is very well documented.

Thank you Ben!

Cheers,
j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:27 am I'm Loving these BadMo's. Perfect size to fill on a single a large batch run and still have extra for top up.. Three of these is equivalent to 5g.

I'll add that Ben's customer service is excellent if you decide to purchase but also encourage DIY which is very well documented.

Thank you Ben!

Cheers,
j
TB and I had been talking about these for a long time and I finally reached out to him and pulled the trigger on one myself. It'll get here just in time to fill it with a high rye bourbon. I wanted a specific barrel number, so Ben obliged and got it done. Can't wait to fill it up and [not so] patiently stare at it for 12 18 months.
Last edited by Deplorable on Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:56 pm TB and I had been talking about these for a long time and I finally reached out to him and pulled the trigger on one myself. It'll get here just in time to fill it with a high rye bourbon. I wanted a specific barrel number, so Ben obliged and got it done. Can't wait to fill it up and [not so] patiently stare at it for 12 to 18 months.
https://badmotivatorbarrels.com/shop/p/deplorable
I'm so glad I could get that done for you! Sadly, that link is going to die some day... It'll confuse most of the folks who see it. :)

I just signed a lease on a 1000 ft² workshop, and should get the keys this week. I'll be busy for a couple of weeks painting and setting it up with process stations (no more tool changes!), dust collection (no more moving the hose!), compressed air (no more yanking the reel!), utility sink (no more up-and-down-the-stairs!), etc. No more tripping over stuff in a crowded garage, no more interruptions in the house, no more parking outside, no more popping breakers... it just goes on and on. It's a real dream-come-true for me; I've been fantasizing about it for years, and it sure looks like there is enough sustained interest in these barrels to justify taking this leap.

Can't wait to hang my sign. :)
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Congratultions on taking another step forward..........hope it all goes well for you.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Congratulations, hoping to see pictures of your production and following the progress.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Congrats!

I'll wager small distilleries will love your product to push out product sooner than 3 years in larger barrels.

Next you'll be making/selling Badmo-stackable-racks!

Duck
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Badmotivator wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:44 pm
Deplorable wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:56 pm TB and I had been talking about these for a long time and I finally reached out to him and pulled the trigger on one myself. It'll get here just in time to fill it with a high rye bourbon. I wanted a specific barrel number, so Ben obliged and got it done. Can't wait to fill it up and [not so] patiently stare at it for 12 to 18 months.
https://badmotivatorbarrels.com/shop/p/deplorable
I'm so glad I could get that done for you! Sadly, that link is going to die some day... It'll confuse most of the folks who see it. :)

I just signed a lease on a 1000 ft² workshop, and should get the keys this week. I'll be busy for a couple of weeks painting and setting it up with process stations (no more tool changes!), dust collection (no more moving the hose!), compressed air (no more yanking the reel!), utility sink (no more up-and-down-the-stairs!), etc. No more tripping over stuff in a crowded garage, no more interruptions in the house, no more parking outside, no more popping breakers... it just goes on and on. It's a real dream-come-true for me; I've been fantasizing about it for years, and it sure looks like there is enough sustained interest in these barrels to justify taking this leap.

Best luck with the "New Building"... I always tell our users that everything's going to be fixed when we move into the "New Building" - knowing all along that it's not completely accurate lol... It'll undoubtedly be a much better experience in any case!

Congrats on the BadMo Deplorable! I'm enjoying mine!

Cheers,
j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Badmotivator wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:44 pm

Thats fantastic! Congratulations to you.
I removed the link to eliminate any confusion.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Just watching the latest Still It video and he name checks your barrels. Congrats.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

What a great idea! Ordered my bain-marie today! :-)
-- Rrmuf
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Got mine today. Thoughtfully packaged, quality craftsmanship. Can't wait to get my sense of smell and taste back so I can make this spirit run and fill it.
20220203_180001.jpg
ROD01
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ROD01 »

20220221_124527.jpg
Badmotivator, thanks for all the details on construction.
Enjoyed making the circle cutting jig for the table saw and the sanding jig.
Just put my first one together and am soaking to seal, time will tell if I did it right the first time.
Running a 13 gallon spirit run of HBB right now to go in.
Have a bunch more Bain Marie's but need my oak from October 2021 to age more.
Thanks again.
Rod01
ROD01
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ROD01 »

20220223_212354.jpg
Quick update, sealed great.
A suggestion for those of us without a press to install the barrel head.
I put the head in the refrigerator for 1/2 hour after waxing the edge.
Got my mini torch out and heated the edge of the baine marie for a few passes.
Head dropped in and a couple of wacks with a rubber mallet was all it took to seat securely. That is just a naural cork for the bung, real cheap at a liquidation place Rod01
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

ROD01 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:31 pm 20220223_212354.jpgQuick update, sealed great.
A suggestion for those of us without a press to install the barrel head.
I put the head in the refrigerator for 1/2 hour after waxing the edge.
Got my mini torch out and heated the edge of the baine marie for a few passes.
Head dropped in and a couple of wacks with a rubber mallet was all it took to seat securely. That is just a naural cork for the bung, real cheap at a liquidation place Rod01
I love it! The temperature trick is new, and a really interesting innovation. You have advanced the field. :)

Thanks for sharing your story and your idea.
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

Holy cow. The next 100 only took 3 months. This is fun!

8062C243-D8E6-4568-939B-660786C665B2.jpeg
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Seen them on StillIt & Bearded's channels. Way to go B-man!