The Badmotivator Bain-Marie and Oak Barrel

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: The Badmotivator Bain-Marie and Oak Barrel

Post by Badmotivator »

The Baker wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:42 am
bluc wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:47 pm Any chance of just selling the pre-made barrel heads? Save on freight and time sourcing and weathering the oak..
I would be interested in that because I live in Australia and shipping would be easier. Less bulky.
I love the idea of these barrels but would not be able to make them. I am not skilled in woodworking at all.

Geoff
Super sketchy. What if the recipient has a different can and the fit is bad? What if the recipient damages the head going in? What if the barrel head is one of the rare ones that doesn’t seal up? Can I send a charred head or would the recipient have to char it?

You guys have got my interest though. It’s possible that the shipping would be substantially less; I’ll look into that and report back. Maaaaaaybe there’s some sense in it. I appreciate you both pushing me on this idea. Stay tuned.
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Also badmotivator be carefull leaving water in for extended time. I had water sour in a barrel in about 28days and ruined a 10l barrel. Hoping scraping and charring will rescue it..
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

I just completed a bunch of barrels today. Ain't they pretty, all lined up and proud?
IMG_7052.jpg
I love seeing a big rack like that, but one of those in particular made my heart flutter a little more than all of the rest:
IMG_7061.jpeg
dirtybird33
Novice

Post by dirtybird33 »

That's awesome man, congrats on 100 barrels!
dirtybird33
Novice

Post by dirtybird33 »

I know there has been a little discussion about you selling heads without the barrels...

I have a other request. I would love to buy enough seasoned wood to male a couple heads. I have bought 6 barrels and enough oak to make more than 6 barrels but it will be a year or so before the wood is seasoned and ready to use. I would love to buy enough seasoned wood to build a couple barrels to get me started and then when the rest of my wood matures I could build out the rest. Let me know what you think.
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Badmotivator wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:54 pm
The Baker wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:42 am
bluc wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:47 pm Any chance of just selling the pre-made barrel heads? Save on freight and time sourcing and weathering the oak..
I would be interested in that because I live in Australia and shipping would be easier. Less bulky.
I love the idea of these barrels but would not be able to make them. I am not skilled in woodworking at all.

Geoff
Super sketchy. What if the recipient has a different can and the fit is bad? What if the recipient damages the head going in? What if the barrel head is one of the rare ones that doesn’t seal up? Can I send a charred head or would the recipient have to char it?

You guys have got my interest though. It’s possible that the shipping would be substantially less; I’ll look into that and report back. Maaaaaaybe there’s some sense in it. I appreciate you both pushing me on this idea. Stay tuned.
Charing or tosting is no biggie for me if for some reason cant be done by you.
Perhaps point us at same brand insert you buy so we can see if available here.
Maybe sell heads on an all care no promise arrangement as far as selling just the head.
I am not sure if there would be any customs issues bringing in wood either.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

bluc said, 'Charing or toasting is no biggie for me if for some reason can't be done by you.
Maybe sell heads on an all care no promise arrangement as far as selling just the head.
I am not sure if there would be any customs issues bringing in wood either.'

Pretty much all this applies to me, too.
I am assuming it would be much cheaper to buy the cans online and have delivered to Australia
rather than pay freight for the finished total weight.

Do you know what it would cost in freight for a typical barrel, complete, to Australia? In say, US dollars...
Just so I have a rough idea, it might not be as much as I think; or it could be a lot more.

Thanks.

Geoff
The Baker
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

The Baker wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:30 pm bluc said, 'Charing or toasting is no biggie for me if for some reason can't be done by you.
I am not sure if there would be any customs issues bringing in wood either.'

Pretty much all this applies to me, too.
I am assuming it would be much cheaper to buy the cans online and have delivered to Australia
rather than pay freight for the finished total weight.

Do you know what it would cost in freight for a typical barrel, complete, to Australia? In say, US dollars...
Just so I have a rough idea, it might not be as much as I think; or it could be a lot more.

Thanks.

Geoff
From his website:
"How much does it cost to ship Badmotivator barrels internationally?

Check the map below, which plots sample shipping costs of one barrel from Oregon US to some locations around the world in April 2021. Click on a pin to see the lowest price I’ve seen to that city. If you don’t see anything close to you, get in touch with me and I’ll look up your location and add it to the map. Shipping two or more barrels lowers the cost per barrel.

It’s expensive, but perhaps this is still a good option for you. I’m willing to work with you to get one into your hands.

How does an international purchase work?

Until I work out something better, we will make arrangements by email. Contact me and we’ll get started."

Link: https://badmotivatorbarrels.com/international
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
AlWorms
Novice

Post by AlWorms »

I love your big rack too :lol: I have a picture of in on my wall at work!

A rack like that would look awesome on the wall in my mancave!

Have you thought about international shipping them as a bulk kitset???

Do the Bain-Maries stack inside each other? Is it possible to make the lids but not fit them, but just have them ready to press in and seal ourselves?

The Bain_maries could be stacked, the spigots and bungs put inside them and the lids stacked toghether, all in a smallish box.

If it was a 4 or 5 set, in a fixed size box, you could set predetermined rates for international postage 8)

Love your work!
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

Working on reading 23 pages, would there be a benefit to making this out of a solid piece of wood, over multiple pieces? I also have a 30"x30" Wood CNC, which should make cutting out perfect circles, quite easy.
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

BlueSasquatch wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:23 pm Working on reading 23 pages, would there be a benefit to making this out of a solid piece of wood, over multiple pieces? I also have a 30"x30" Wood CNC, which should make cutting out perfect circles, quite easy.
Check out my post on Oct 13th, page 21 of this thread. Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

AlWorms wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:21 am I love your big rack too :lol: I have a picture of in on my wall at work!

A rack like that would look awesome on the wall in my mancave!

Have you thought about international shipping them as a bulk kitset???

Do the Bain-Maries stack inside each other? Is it possible to make the lids but not fit them, but just have them ready to press in and seal ourselves?

The Bain_maries could be stacked, the spigots and bungs put inside them and the lids stacked toghether, all in a smallish box.

If it was a 4 or 5 set, in a fixed size box, you could set predetermined rates for international postage 8)

Love your work!
Good possibility?

Geoff
The Baker
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

I was thinking 9 10 barrels but staggered builds. Burbon first then scotch then rum.
As burbon gets emptied a new barrel built.
Its all good I think I will just season some oak..
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Badmotivator wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:32 pm
rubberduck71 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:27 pm
So this is charred, ya? Will it become an option for purchase in your shop??? :D

Duck
I just put together 14 barrels today, crossing the “100” line. They’re all filled with water. I’m on vacation this weekend, but when I get back those barrels will have proven tight and they’ll be ready to go! All medium toast, char 3.
Just placed an order for barrel#'s 100 & 101 !!!

Duck
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
METALHEAD81
Novice

Post by METALHEAD81 »

As I read through this thread , in my travels I grabbed some Bain Marie’s from the local restaurant supply and secured some 4 quarter 1/4 sawn white oak locally. Then the topic of tannins and seasoning came up and turned this quick weekend project into a year long waiting game while my wood seasons.

I suppose I’ll be heading back to the lumber yard to grab some more wood to let it sit out in the weather and give me well seasoned pieces for next summer but I’m the meantime I did a quick search for boiling wood to remove tannins and it’s apparently commonly done for aquariums on driftwood. Boil 5-10 min, change water and repeat until desired results.
I’m thinking of giving it a try and seeing what happens. Worst thing I can think of is ruining a few pieces of wood or perhaps inadvertently washing out good flavors too.
Any thoughts?
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Hi, METALHEAD81.
Could you let us know exactly how you make and fit the barrel heads, and any problems.
I would love to just buy some barrels from Badmotivator but the freight cost is the killer for me.
I probably don't have the skills to fashion the heads but I know of a cooper who might do it.
And my son is really good friends with a good woodworker who makes kitchens for a living...

Thanks,

Geoff

P.S. I saw somewhere how the heads were clamped in place (rather than just pressed) and that seems to me to be really smart. A stainless (say)
circle was fitted below the rim-at-the-top-of-the-Bain Marie-pot and bolted to an extended circle above the edge of the barrel head.
And the head could rest (precisely; in a groove?) ON THE TOP of, rather than be pressed into the vessel. G.
The Baker
METALHEAD81
Novice

Post by METALHEAD81 »

I spent the day making a circle cutting jig for my bandsaw and giving this a try.
I apparently sold my dowling jig at a garage sale but honestly didn’t like the idea of flour glue anyway so I did a tongue and groove for connecting my staves.
I planed the wood which was rough sawn 5/4 down to 1” and made the tongue and groove a press fit so no need for glue or flour paste.

I’d say for my first, it came out good. I do need to dial in the circle jig a little better. I couldn’t hammer the oak in any further and I didn’t want to risk getting it too far out of round by hand sanding, leaving flat spots and causing leaks.
I thought it would go in further but I’m OK with where it’s sitting at the moment. It doesn’t leak and that was my primary goal. I’ll adjust the jig back a mm and the next one will be a better fit.
I did char the inside but that’s the extent of the wood treatment I did. I tried boiling some pieces and they did release a lot of color but they split in a few places when they dried so I’m just going to have to learn about tannin flavor while my oak seasons. I used those pieces to dial in the tongue and groove. (Pics below)
I have more reading to do on wood prep but wanted to hammer out the fabrication details first.

A3DCEC1B-5190-4E87-BA06-69FD4B97982F.jpeg
78362377-E750-466D-B420-45E1B666F833.jpeg
1E2305CD-1D18-4B32-91DC-F36522A382D5.jpeg
572ED592-C994-48FC-B01A-0C0AE9226ECF.jpeg
METALHEAD81
Novice

Post by METALHEAD81 »

The Baker wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:10 pm Hi, METALHEAD81.
Could you let us know exactly how you make and fit the barrel heads, and any problems.
I would love to just buy some barrels from Badmotivator but the freight cost is the killer for me.
I probably don't have the skills to fashion the heads but I know of a cooper who might do it.
And my son is really good friends with a good woodworker who makes kitchens for a living...

Thanks,

Geoff

P.S. I saw somewhere how the heads were clamped in place (rather than just pressed) and that seems to me to be really smart. A stainless (say)
circle was fitted below the rim-at-the-top-of-the-Bain Marie-pot and bolted to an extended circle above the edge of the barrel head.
And the head could rest (precisely; in a groove?) ON THE TOP of, rather than be pressed into the vessel. G.
I checked the measurements for a 6” tri clamp against a 6qt Bain Marie and they are close enough that the clamp fits the lip of the pot. I am going to try to a lid that can be clamped with it as well but the clamp being $30 starts to push the limits of what I’d consider economical.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Thanks,

By the way you have shown two taps to draw the product off; where do you fill it??!
(Yeah I know, it was just something to stick in the hole....)

Geoff
The Baker
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

The Baker wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:09 pm
(Yeah I know, it was just something to stick in the hole....)
That's what she said! :lol:
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Clearmoon247
Novice

Post by Clearmoon247 »

Good Evening Everyone,
I am new to the board, but have been experimenting with creating my own Badmotivator style bain-marie's for the past 3 years without even knowing that it was a think. It's crazy how great minds come to similar solutions.

Mine happen to use a bung punched into the top of the bain-marie and the oak base is solid (no wooden bung or spigot).

Additionally, I have figured out how to make them properly and consistently with both new American oak (sourced from a cooperage) and used oak in the form of ex-wine and ex-whiskey barrels.

All of my barrels happen to be in the 850ml capacity.

subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Seems like the wood to spirit ratio would be a bit high at 850 ml. It looks like the wood surface area would be at least as much as the two 3/4 by 3/4 by 5 inch sticks I use on about 1600 ml. Have you tested one to see how fast they impart flavor and how it compares to other methods?
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Hi, Clearmont,
I would love to see more detail of how you made the barrels.

Geoff
The Baker
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

H Clearmoon247, what’s the bung made out of?

Cheers,
Jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Clearmoon247
Novice

Post by Clearmoon247 »

subbrew wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:26 pm Seems like the wood to spirit ratio would be a bit high at 850 ml. It looks like the wood surface area would be at least as much as the two 3/4 by 3/4 by 5 inch sticks I use on about 1600 ml. Have you tested one to see how fast they impart flavor and how it compares to other methods?
I've done the math and its similar in volume:surface area of ~50Gal barrel (just a smidgen higher than a 53 Gal barrel). I have a number of barrels in that volume that are all over 3 years old at this point and they are hitting really great flavors. Not over-oaked as of yet, but we will see how they mature over the coming years. They are turning out better than any of the mason jars with charred cubes or traditional "smaller" barrels (1.23-5Gal).

The Baker wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:33 pm Hi, Clearmont,

Geoff
The oak base is cut out with a 4.5" hole saw. The bung hole is punched open with a 1-1/8" carbide hole saw and it uses #6 silicone bungs.
I drill out the bung hole in the bain marie, sanding the edges to be smooth. Then I cut out the disk on a drill press without a pilot bit (big mistake using one). Then, using a 12-ton hydraulic press, I press the wood base into the 1.25Qt bain marie.

jonnys_spirit wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:50 pm H Clearmoon247, what’s the bung made out of?

Cheers,
Jonny
100% silicone.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Clearmoon247 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:11 pm
subbrew wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:26 pm Seems like the wood to spirit ratio would be a bit high at 850 ml. It looks like the wood surface area would be at least as much as the two 3/4 by 3/4 by 5 inch sticks I use on about 1600 ml. Have you tested one to see how fast they impart flavor and how it compares to other methods?
I've done the math and its similar in volume:surface area of ~50Gal barrel (just a smidgen higher than a 53 Gal barrel). I have a number of barrels in that volume that are all over 3 years old at this point and they are hitting really great flavors. Not over-oaked as of yet, but we will see how they mature over the coming years. They are turning out better than any of the mason jars with charred cubes or traditional "smaller" barrels (1.23-5Gal).

Geoff
The oak base is cut out with a 4.5" hole saw. The bung hole is punched open with a 1-1/8" carbide hole saw and it uses #6 silicone bungs.
I drill out the bung hole in the bain marie, sanding the edges to be smooth. Then I cut out the disk on a drill press without a pilot bit (big mistake using one). Then, using a 12-ton hydraulic press, I press the wood base into the 1.25Qt bain marie.

jonnys_spirit wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:50 pm H Clearmoon247, what’s the bung made out of?

Cheers,
Jonny
100% silicone.
I would think you would have taken the time to read the rules after the first issue and picked up on the use of plastics. Please read the rules carefully and abide by them.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Geoff
Nifty idea Clearmoon247.

Can you share the dimensions of your stainless bain marie please? I'd love to try making some (I have a 4.5" hole saw) using some barrel staves I have in stock. With some mods of course.

I'd prefer not to hijack Badmo's thread. Is it possible you could start a dedicated thread?
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

For what it’s worth, I don’t have any problem with discussing Clearmoon247’s barrels in this thread. I think this style of aging can be accomplished just as well by his method as by mine, without qualification. Everyone benefits when we share new ideas and new approaches.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Badmotivator wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:22 pm For what it’s worth, I don’t have any problem with discussing Clearmoon247’s barrels in this thread. I think this style of aging can be accomplished just as well by his method as by mine, without qualification. Everyone benefits when we share new ideas and new approaches.
I do have a problem with it . Start your own thread so members can find info.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Clearmoon247
Novice

Post by Clearmoon247 »

Tater wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:24 am
Badmotivator wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:22 pm For what it’s worth, I don’t have any problem with discussing Clearmoon247’s barrels in this thread. I think this style of aging can be accomplished just as well by his method as by mine, without qualification. Everyone benefits when we share new ideas and new approaches.
I do have a problem with it . Start your own thread so members can find info.
Here is a thread on my design of bain marie barrels:

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=84350