Wood Profiles - Hungarian Oak(Quercus frainetto)

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

onewhiskyguy
Novice

Wood Profiles - Hungarian Oak(Quercus frainetto)

Post by onewhiskyguy »

I've acquired a grip of woods. I'm currently at 16, but working on acquiring 20 more, or even more as I find suitable woods. I find this topic(http://ww.homedistiller.org/forum/viewt ... =4&t=33487) interesting. Some of these woods are tried and true and very well known, but others are hardly used. I lurked around here for years and have tried a few of these and think it might be good to have a wood profile topic for each of these. My hope would be that people could discuss projects they have done, tasting profiles they have found, ideas relating to a specific type of wood. My personal interest is in Scotch type single malt Barley's. I hope to eventually have made a bottle for each type of wood and to let it age for years as I slowly taste. I want a Malt library unmatched by any other in the world.
medium-toast-hungarian-oak-cubes-3oz-1000px-1000px.jpg
This is the only way I have been able to find Hungarian Oak. When I have bought I buy it in cube form, usually from a home-brew.wine supply store. I know other things exist like spirals, and possibly staves. I've found it difficult to find specifically "Hungarian Oak" at wood working suppliers.

This is a pretty good write up on Oak and how it affects flavors:

http://morewinemaking.com/public/pdf/oakinfopaper09.pdf

The mention on Hungarian Oak is the following:

"The Hungarian oak at Medium toast displayed a high perceived-vanillin content, with roasted coffee, bitter- sweet chocolate and black pepper characters."

"Medium Plus and Heavy toast imparted mouthfeel full- ness, with only a slight amount of campfire/roasted coffee. Heavy also had pronounced vanillin. At all toast levels, there were unique attributes such as leather and black pepper, not observed in other oak origins."