Brita Water filter

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Brita Water filter

Post by Hilltop »

Guys I had some shine smear in my thumper, it had a little cloudy to it, so being in a hurry I decided I would just use an extra Brita carbon filled water filter. I put 105 proof shine in that thing, poured it into some fruity stuff I made and set it in the cabinet. Well I ended up with an extra jar of White and yesterday I threw my cousin a jar for shits and giggles.

He looked at me, and said boy this sure is weak! Now I ain't never had a man look at me and say my liquer is weak as I'm a double distiller with thumper! Well I tasted it and sure enough it's weak. So I go get my proofer and test tube and checked the jar of filtered white and low and behold this stuff was now 55 proof!!!

Can somebody please explain to me, how the hell that happened? I just flucked up two cases of fruit. Well of course I am going back to add some real white lightning to it but still I just lost some serious money.

If it's one thing in this world I can't stand it's pissing money away. Or in this case pouring it into a water filter.
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Brita Water filter

Post by BayouShine »

Eat a few pieces of fruit then get back to us...
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

No wonder it came out so clear out of that thing, all the alcohol stayed behind.

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

BayouShine wrote:Eat a few pieces of fruit then get back to us...
One problem to your theory though, the apple pie. I used no fruit in it only apple juice and cinnamon sticks. It's low too. And as I stated I had one filtered jar of White left over. That's the first one I checked.

BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

Hilltop wrote:
BayouShine wrote:Eat a few pieces of fruit then get back to us...
One problem to your theory though, the apple pie. I used no fruit in it only apple juice and cinnamon sticks. It's low too. And as I stated I had one filtered jar of White left over. That's the first one I checked.
Of course it's going to be low. You diluted your spirit down with apple juice. The sugars from the apple juice will also throw off your hydrometer reading, so it'll read even lower.

As far as you're left over bottle, you need to tell us about this filter and how it was used. I'm assuming it's a plastic filter, but I just want to make sure.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

There is a thread on the Brita filter, it is not recommended as it has plastic components and we do not promote high % alcohol or even vapors to come in contact with plastic.
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

Yeah its one of those that goes in a pitcher. It has the plastic outside but the inside is activated carbon. The liquid goes in then out but minimal touch with any plastic. I get that, and trust me it's rare for me to have to filter any shine. The proof is what I don't understand. I had the one jar of white left over and she dropped 50 proof.

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

I had already cut it to 100 proof which I thought would be low enough not to have any plastic problems with a quick run through.

still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Hilltop wrote:One problem to your theory though, the apple pie. I used no fruit in it only apple juice and cinnamon sticks. It's low too. And as I stated I had one filtered jar of White left over. That's the first one I checked.
You DO KNOW you can’t MEASURE the proof of a spirit to which you’ve added sugar, either in your pie or the fruit maceration?

It don’t work like that.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

still_stirrin wrote:
Hilltop wrote:One problem to your theory though, the apple pie. I used no fruit in it only apple juice and cinnamon sticks. It's low too. And as I stated I had one filtered jar of White left over. That's the first one I checked.
You DO KNOW you can’t MEASURE the proof of a spirit to which you’ve added sugar, either in your pie or the fruit maceration?

It don’t work like that.
ss
Well, actually no I didn't, never owned one till recently. I checked em all when my white was so low as I was confused on the drop in proof. We never used anything for years but copper and water then I found this lovely site and built me a small rig.

Corn sugar water yeast it was pretty simple in the ol days. Now I'm trying to learn to be a high tech distiller like y'all! Lol! Looks like I need to study some more on hydrometers and evidently plastic, which I loathe.

Pesty
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pesty »

If you still want to polish or run over charcoal you can fill a copper pipe with it, put a hose clamp over some coffee filters, run water to clear out the dust and then pour your product in.