PDF: Aging of Whiskey in barrels of non-traditional volumes

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

PDF: Aging of Whiskey in barrels of non-traditional volumes

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

Masters Thesis for John Jeffery of Sante Fe Spirits. I haven't read it well, just skimmed it for now. Covers smaller barrels from 2-10 gallons and also the use of Oak Spirals. Tons of charts. After I read it I'll post up the bigger items.

PDF: http://bourbonr.com/blog/wp-content/upl ... VOLUME.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Interview with John Jeffery: http://whiskeyreviewer.com/2015/01/qa-w ... ts_011915/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: PDF: Aging of Whiskey in barrels of non-traditional volu

Post by StillerBoy »

Thank you for providing the links on the info..

Greatly appreciated, as I am in the process of researching oaking and aging, so the info is of valve to me..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

great read, my head is spinning a bit lol
When the student is ready the teacher will emerge.

Flute Journey viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69736
buflowing
Swill Maker

Post by buflowing »

Good find stiller fan. A good read deserves a bump. :thumbup: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60514
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

Damn it I totally searched for this! Sorry, I didn't mean to repost. :(
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Nice read. Page 69 reassures a theory I've had for quite a while. Basically it states that over oaked spirit can come back into it's own, given enough time.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

I was poking around over on the ADIforums and found a post about aging bourbon. A guy posted saying he'd been dumping his 5g barrels at 8-10 months but left one of his first barrels for 2.5yrs. He pulled a sample thinking it would be horribly over oaked but it was fantastic in his words. I dug into his profile and emailed him hoping he'd share more info on that barrel but no reply yet. I'll post it here if he replies and doesn't mind.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

Antler Wrote'
A guy posted saying he'd been dumping his 5g barrels at 8-10 months
This is the time frame where I cant stand it anymore and dump mine as well. It just seems that anymore time in the barrel and I will have wrecked the sweet nectar with to much wood. A sacrificial experiment may be in order. :thumbup:
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

WIski wrote:
Antler Wrote'
A guy posted saying he'd been dumping his 5g barrels at 8-10 months
This is the time frame where I cant stand it anymore and dump mine as well. It just seems that anymore time in the barrel and I will have wrecked the sweet nectar with to much wood. A sacrificial experiment may be in order. :thumbup:
Yeah I'm not at the point where I want to buy a barrel yet. I want to get into all grain and play around with recipes first. When the time comes I would love to be able to leave it for 2-3yrs, but I don't want to be the guinea pig that tries it first lol
Swedish Pride wrote: