DARK Color but not over oaked

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Antler24
Trainee

DARK Color but not over oaked

Post by Antler24 »

So I made a sugarhead bourbon wash a few months ago that went well. Used a 1"x1"x4" oak stick in each quart of 62%(thanks again BadMo!) The sticks were toasted and charred by me. I previously used sticks I bought on eBay that were toasted and charred already and while I got good results they didn't give the deep dark amber color I wanted. So with my sticks I charred them a bit more than the previous sticks were, and my sugarhead bourbon has turned very very dark after just a couple months. Strange thing is it tastes pretty good for something so young, no oak tea at all the flavour is nice.
Just wondering if anyone else noticed this before. When I pulled the jars out for a look I was expecting a jar of sap but I think it's going to be great.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: DARK Color but not over oaked

Post by fizzix »

Antler, my Odin's Cornflake (sugar wash) went into a #3 charred 3-liter (tiny) oak barrel 6 or 7 months ago and is very dark.
Haven't diluted any except for tablespoon samples, but this stuff is DEEP brown and is fantastic. No hint of it being over-oaked whatsoever.
Figure this is just because of the cramped quarters and relative burnt oak surface area to whiskey volume ratio. I'm keeping an eye and taste bud on it, though.
Difference is, my next batch of course with be a lighter amber since the char is being "used up." But nonetheless I'm experiencing the same issue as-is.
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Thanks fizzix that eases my mind a little. When I say dark, I mean dark. Like, I can barely see light through one of them when I hold it up lol but the flavour is good for such a young whiskey. We'll wait it out. As bubbles says "worst case Ontario" I'll just blend it back with new make...
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

I got home tonight and had a sample. I still think it's gonna be great, but got a small trace of astringentsy (that a real word?) So I decided to pull the oak. Id rather have to add another stick later than over do it. I mixed 50ml with 50ml of 2yr old ujsm and was pretty impressed by the sweet vanilla and caramel to it.
Swedish Pride wrote: