Adding Wash and or Dunder to Rum for aging

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

CatCrap
Swill Maker

Adding Wash and or Dunder to Rum for aging

Post by CatCrap »

Hey, folks, simple post. I had a batch of Panella Rum(100% Panella, 10# to a 25L/6.6G Batch) that i was making, doing the "sour mash" method, of recycling backset/dunder with each successive generation. By about the 5th Gen, after using around 25% dunder per new wash, some really great flavors started to come through. It had almost a sweet/sour flavor to it that i really loved. I definitely would drink the wash straight. The backset also took on this great flavor. So.. I had heard this idea put forth once, but didn't hear much detail or results or opinions on it.. but.. What do you all think about adding some backset or completed/dry wash to new make rum for aging? I made a small test, a pint jar with one piece of medium heavy toasted oak mini stave, and in one jar i added about 10% wash, and the other 10% Dunder.

Has anyone else ever used this method? Had good results? Bad results? I just loved that flavor, and wanted to add it back into the finished rum. My rum's don't seem to taste great ofr very rummy yet, they need some time, age, and oak to come into their own. From my research, almost no new make rum tastes very good, or tastes much like traditional rum. So, im pretty sure once they sit for awhile with some oak and mellow out they will be a better quality drink. So, i think that it will be quite a while before i know the results of this, as they need to age anyways, and they will need some time for the flavors to marry.
Very curious if anyone is doing this, or has any thoughts on it.

Thanks, Guys!
Shine0n
Distiller

Re: Adding Wash and or Dunder to Rum for aging

Post by Shine0n »

I've not done this but am curious on how yours turns out.
Keep us posted!

I try to get flavors from my ferment, low wines with dunder added after some nice funky infection in there.

I have full flavored, bold rums that will surprise the best rum snobs.

I love my white rums and have now fell in love with my aged rums on med toast American white oak, after 6 months it's top class rum.

I'm scared to add my dunder to my finished spirit, it's kinda scary looking!
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: Adding Wash and or Dunder to Rum for aging

Post by Yummyrum »

Check out Buccaneer Bobs Dark Rum . He adds Dunder to the finished Rum .