Aging for 21 years

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

oakgriff
Novice

Re: Aging for 21 years

Post by oakgriff »

Thanks Badmotivator!

Guess its hard to come up with a question on this forum that somebody hasn't already asked and then experimented with :) Cheers to you for putting in the work and for sharing it.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Now that it's mentioned, I think a badmo barrel is THE solution for this. On the face, you get the aesthetics of a barrel. But you also get the right ratio of wood:spirits, and probably the right angel's share as well. Which maybe badmo can guess at? If it's like bourbon aging, I'd expect a bit more than 50% to go to the angels.
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

zapata wrote:Now that it's mentioned, I think a badmo barrel is THE solution for this. On the face, you get the aesthetics of a barrel. But you also get the right ratio of wood:spirits, and probably the right angel's share as well. Which maybe badmo can guess at? If it's like bourbon aging, I'd expect a bit more than 50% to go to the angels.
I agree, but of course I’m incredibly biased. :)

I am just a little ways into a 4-Barrel Loss Rate Tracking Program. The empirical annualized loss rates are between 1% and 6% for an unheated barrel. Those numbers will change with every reading. I will only take them seriously if they stabilize, converge, or when a full year has passed. But the early indications are that the loss rate is in line with (and perhaps a little lower than) standard large oak barrels.
Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copperhead road »

pfshine wrote:With the smaller barrels you will need to bottle it after a set period of time dependant on barrel size. Then just put it away and forget about it for 20 years. Char/toast is personal taste, I prefer a light char.
Good advice if they are not keen to fill a 300L hogshead Barrel :lolno:
Never mistake kindness for weakness....
Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copperhead road »

Saltbush Bill wrote:This is roughly what happens over that time, in a smaller barrel the losses would be greater.
That is a great picture Salty, as you know after ordering several big barrels I am keen to learn exactly what the angels steal over time. I intend to fill one 125L barrel and leave it for 12 years, I thought that length of time and the fact I’m using new Oak I’m hoping to replicate a good commercial bourbon....
Never mistake kindness for weakness....