Raspberry Ambrosia

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rubelstrudel
Rumrunner

Raspberry Ambrosia

Post by rubelstrudel »

I love raspberry, but the tartness of raspberry pantydropper really put me off. It was simply to strong taste of berries and something else. I also love liquorice - I had a couple of bottles of different types of liquorice root infuced spirits laying around. however they were lacking of something - it was a bit to simple. My inspiration was to combine these two. And I may have stumbled upon a classic here. All hail to those of you who have done this before and discovered it before me. This is simply so tasty that I had to share it:

1) Make Raspberry Pantydropper as instructed elsewhere. Use all the syrup you can squeeze out. Use 40-60% spirits as base to dissolve more sugar.
2) Add 2-4 lemons of juice per litre - or more. The point it so negate the tartness.
3) Let some liquorice root (20-40cm of roots) steep in 40-60% neutral for 24-48 hours to make liquorice schnapps.
4) Mix 1 part Raspberry panty dropper and 2 parts Liquorice schnapps (to taste)
5) Chill and enjoy

For the liquorice schnapps use roots of Glycyrrhiza glabra, roots of Polypodium Vulgare, Anise-seed (Pimpinella anisum) or dried fruits of Illicium verum as of your availability. My personal preference is a mix of the roots Glycyrrhiza glabra and Polypodium Vulgare. The latter grows wild in my garden, the former I buy at the local health-shop. All of them will give a nice liquorice taste as they all contain Anethol. Fresh roots of Polypodium Vulgare will in addition add some non-sugary sweetness as they contain Oladin.
Always impatient. But learning.