Aging whisky in cornet kegs

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

chickenfeed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Aging whisky in cornet kegs

Post by chickenfeed »

I found myself with my barrels full but some empty corny kegs and wondered if we could mimic the change in seasons by pressure rising and depressurizing whiskey aging in a corny keg with charter Oak sticks in the keg? I have the mash going right now and plan on attempting this once I get5 gallons together and then every couple of months believe the pressure off let it sit for 30 days and re-pressurize it that should force the whiskey into the Oak and back out again as the pressure goes up and down I’m hoping that this will offset the lack of seasons in the southern climate where I currently reside and would like to know your thoughts thank you for your input
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Aging whisky in cornet kegs

Post by bitter »

I use a corny keg for aging just be sure you change all the orings to ptfe... or you risk issues and your orings leaching.

You don't need to pressurize it.. per say.. but fill cold seal lid and put up in hot garage or something.. With temp changes pressure will increase/decrease.

One thing to be very sure of is your heads cut. A corny will not breath like an oak barrel.. so higher alcohols will not dissipate like an oak barrel

I was going to bottle mine.. but I over diluted it with white dog the same age. Was perfect at 75% oaked and 25% white (oak was a bit stronger than I like). Really opened the flavor up. But I had an extra 1/2g so thought would be fine.. well was not live and learn.

If you have a kegerator going from fridge to a warm place every week will do wonders for the whiskey... Make it oak faster.. but there is no substitute for time

B