"Reserve" bourbon aging

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

NattyBoh
Bootlegger

"Reserve" bourbon aging

Post by NattyBoh »

I've read many of the posts about aging in glass with wood. Sounds like the consensus is that to avoid overoaking, less is best. That being said, once you've reached the point you wish to bottle some of what's been aged, what would be the recommendation for long term aging the remaining to create a reserve-like, or longer aged, bourbon? Would you remove the wood and continue to age without diluting, keep the wood in, or do you dilute and just let that bottle(s) sit for awhile?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: "Reserve" bourbon aging

Post by still_stirrin »

I bottle only what and when I want some to consume. Otherwise, I leave it on wood at cask strength. It just gets better. I suppose, if I every have some at 18-20 years old, then I’ll bottle it out. But, it never lasts that long.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
amdamgraham
Bootlegger

Post by amdamgraham »

My brothers and I did some glass jar tests and it was amazing how exposure (or lack thereof) to oxygen changed the spirit. Wood casks breath which is why I buy small wooden casks to age my spirit. I know there are people here who successfully "age" using staves in jars but I am curious about how they incorporate the breathing component with glass and sealed lids.
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

amdamgraham wrote:My brothers and I did some glass jar tests and it was amazing how exposure (or lack thereof) to oxygen changed the spirit. Wood casks breath which is why I buy small wooden casks to age my spirit. I know there are people here who successfully "age" using staves in jars but I am curious about how they incorporate the breathing component with glass and sealed lids.
I use 1 and 1/2 gallon glass jugs with corks. I will periodically loosen the cork for a day or so. This allows the liquor to breath. With sealed jars you can do the same thing.
That’s how I do it.
JBC
JBC
Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copperhead road »

JellybeanCorncob wrote:
amdamgraham wrote:My brothers and I did some glass jar tests and it was amazing how exposure (or lack thereof) to oxygen changed the spirit. Wood casks breath which is why I buy small wooden casks to age my spirit. I know there are people here who successfully "age" using staves in jars but I am curious about how they incorporate the breathing component with glass and sealed lids.
I use 1 and 1/2 gallon glass jugs with corks. I will periodically loosen the cork for a day or so. This allows the liquor to breath. With sealed jars you can do the same thing.
That’s how I do it.
JBC
+1 when aging in glass Demi’s I regularly crack the seal to allow fresh oxygen in plus I give it a good shake up. I don’t remove the Oak as it seems to just get better n better with time. :thumbup:
Never mistake kindness for weakness....
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

amdamgraham wrote:My brothers and I did some glass jar tests and it was amazing how exposure (or lack thereof) to oxygen changed the spirit.
I wish I had known this when I oaked my rye bourbon in handles. The white I started with was just plain yummy, and a month in got all caramelly and vanilla-y and was tough to stay out of. Now four months in, what I have left has matured taste-wise, but is hotter than hell. I've periodically covered with just a coffee filter for a day or two, but am unsure if its gonna come back. Oh well, live and learn.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Once a spirit is taken off the wood and bottled, aging is effectively finished. I only draw off enough for my projected needs.

For aging in glass, filling to a maximum of 2/3s full allows for some O2 in the head space. Don't push the cork in so tight that there can't be any breathing.

'Overoaked', is a term often used by newbies tasting their product too early. Left to age for a couple more years it will mellow into a better product than if it had had less oak.
Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copperhead road »

NZChris wrote:
'Overoaked', is a term often used by newbies tasting their product too early. Left to age for a couple more years it will mellow into a better product than if it had had less oak.
That is a good point, I have 30 mason jar experiments going and all had that wet wood smell n taste between
3month - 6month but they were magnificent at 11months. They continue to improve!
Never mistake kindness for weakness....
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

NZChris wrote:Once a spirit is taken off the wood and bottled, aging is effectively finished. I only draw off enough for my projected needs.
I might add here that in my experience a 2 to 5 week rest in the bottle gives the spirit time to merry, especially if you are proofing down.
NZChris wrote:
+1 Chris
JBC
JBC
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

JellybeanCorncob wrote: I might add here that in my experience a 2 to 5 week rest in the bottle gives the spirit time to merry, especially if you are proofing down.
+1

Being completely new to aging, I found my (rye) bourbon to have strong, woody oak notes (tannin too?) after resting in glass handles for only 3mo's. As a potential 'remedy', I removed the two sticks of oak and in 3 weeks time did not recognize the spirit inside. It had undergone some wonderful changes where the individual flavors, as you described, married into a deep, seamless complexity with a fine, polished nose that is way beyond what I ever imagined could be accomplished at home.

After reading this here, which notes that there is a difference between extraction and maturation, I believe that aging does indeed continue once off wood, and can play an integral part of creating balance between the two, especially in barrels 15 gallons and smaller. Also, that the continuation of flavor compound morphing/development, as described by NZChris, may also vary based on the amount of oxygen available.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer