home made apricot brandy

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

partonken
Bootlegger

home made apricot brandy

Post by partonken »

the apricot brandy from prestige is very good, but id like too try a home made with real apricots.

anyone have a recipe for apricot brandy?

It doesnt sound too difficult, add apricots to your vodka with a touch of sugar and let it stand for a couple of weeks with stirring every day. Does this sound good? thanks
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: home made apricot brandy

Post by Dnderhead »

that would work but not real brandy, real brandy is made from wine and is clear see" tater's fruit recipe"
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

I plan on making some real brandy this fall with some of my free fruit.Ive distilled wine a few times but it dont have too much flavor because it was over 12%.Im going to do an all fruit ferment at 6% so alot more flavor will carry over.It will probably be grape.Tater has lots of info on fruit liquer.
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

I want to make a little apricot brandy myself, but in order to keep as much flavor as possible, shouldn't you stick with a single distilation? or a quick strip then a spirit run? considering at 6% thats a lot of liquid to manage. I'd be tempted to strip half or more than add the distilate back to the wash for final distillation. jsut to get the fluids to a more managable level.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

Yes I like to run once or twice to git product at the proof that I want to "age/bottle" at
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Your going to get alot more flavor with 1 run,but you will have to make good cuts on it.Collect it in small containers,and let it all air out for a few days before making your final cuts.Running a 6% wash,your yield wont be as good as your used to,but you should get good flavor.
partonken
Bootlegger

Post by partonken »

i would run it through once using a de-tuned reflux still. Very low reflux and it should give you a more intense flavour profile.
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

what about adding the spent wash back to the next batch fermenting. I know that this is done with rums and grain wiskeys, but would there be a gain in brandy?
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

violentblue wrote:what about adding the spent wash back to the next batch fermenting. I know that this is done with rums and grain wiskeys, but would there be a gain in brandy?

I do it, thanks to input from Wineo and Tater.
Stew8
Bootlegger

Post by Stew8 »

After some success with dried prunes in Slovivtiz, viewtopic.php?f=11&t=69857 I wanted to try it with dried apricots. Within 24 hours the dried prunes had flavoured and coloured the slivovitz. Apricots however were much slower. I nuked them at 500w for 30 secs, put the lid on shook them, took lid off and did it for another 30 secs and the flavour was much stronger. A slight yellow colour but great flavour, I did add sugar and it rounds off the flavour further. I guess if you have concerns about microwaving alcohol, you could just wait, it will eventually flavour the liquid but it should take lesss than a week or so.