ABV of your spirits?

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

ABV of your spirits?

Post by Beerswimmer »

I just realized that I might have made a big mistake. I forgot to proof down one of my gallon jars of UJSSM. It's at 140 proof, how I age my rum. Is this going to be too tannic? My rum uses pre-used staves, so not tannic. This UJSSM is using first use toasted and charred staves.

Usually I proof "bourbon" down to 125 proof, because it's just about the industry standard and I figure that they know what they're doing.
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Re: ABV of your spirits?

Post by bluefish_dist »

Ther 125 is a legal limit, up from 110 in the 60's. I hear that scotch goes in around 140. Personally I like 122 ish. Have tried right at 125 and also 110 ish. 125 oaks faster.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

How much are you aging? New barrel or used?
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

I put about 3-4 or so of 6" x 1/2" x 1/2" white oak that I either toast or char or sometimes both into a gallon pickle jar. I get 5 gallons of keeper form a spirit run, and put most of it onto wood. It's pretty good after 6 months. I bought about a dozen jars from Costco 10 years ago, I also have 4 glass carboys and 3 corny kegs that I use for aging.

I usually proof it down to 125, but I forgot to do it to one jar this time. I think I'll let it ride and see what it's like in month. I would just hate to lose a whole gallon if it gets too tannic.

Rum I age at whatever proof it's at, usually around 140, but it goes onto wood that was already used.
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

Yeah since your doing oak sticks just check it more often. You could also leave the lids cracked. If your relative humidity is high you’ll lose alcohol and water if the humity is low.