Ageing in oak barrel

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Joedonna117
Novice

Ageing in oak barrel

Post by Joedonna117 »

Just picked this 10 gallon charred #4 4 grain bourbon barrel up today not quite ready to fill what do I need to know?? I have 4 gallons of Uncle Jessie 130 proof stripped didnt do spirts run yet.should I wait till I have all 10 gallons spirits run?? I'll search tomorrow for barrel care just throwing it out there. Thanks for any input!! Trying to upload pics but not working??
Attachments
20190406_151718_20190407025154893.jpg
20190407_020659.jpg
Last edited by Joedonna117 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Re: Ageing in oak barrel

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Joedonna117 wrote:Just picked this 10 gallon charred #4 4 grain bourbon barrel up today not quite ready to fill what do I need to know?? I have 4 gallons of Uncle Jessie 130 proof stripped didnt do spirts run yet.should I wait till I have all 10 gallons spirits run??
You'll cut your spirit down to between 60 and 65 % to age so calculate how much that is, keep adding spirit as you get it
..I'll search tomorrow for barrel care just throwing it out there.
If it's going to sit awhile fill it with GOOD water, it won't hurt it and leaving it empty will dry it out
Thanks for any input!! Trying to upload pics but not working??
Getting hung up all day on smiles
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Once you do get a little liquor in that barrel, and before it's full, I'd rotate it one way for a few days
then rotate the opposite way for a few days. Repeat the procedure as you fill it over time.
That keeps a good portion of the staves wet. Make sure to keep the bung "above stream" so nothing leaks out.

10 gallons, huh? Nice acquisition! You'll be able to afford the angel's share for a lo-o-o-ng aging if you have the patience.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Do a spirit run and get it into the barrel ASAP, a little spirit in there is better than leaving it dry for to long, Keep filling as you get / make more spirit. DONT fill it with water and leave it that way for weeks on end.
Joedonna117
Novice

Post by Joedonna117 »

Doing one more stripping run mid week should have 6 gallons to dilute. Doing spirits run next Sunday fist day I'll have enough time. Wasn't quite ready to buy a barrel but they had the bourbon usually only have rye wiskey.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Good looking cask.

The guys have all given you great suggestions.

If it’s only a week or 6 between now and the time you anticipate you’ll have enough spirit to fill it, then don’t worry so much. The wood won’t dry out that fast, at least if you keep the cask in a normal ambient environment like your basement, for example.

Add the UJSSM liqour you have now, cork it, and get those fermenters busy. Soon you’ll have enough liquor to fill the cask. But a 10 gallon cask will need a couple of years to do its job on the whiskey, so a little something in smaller containers might helpy you out between now and then.

I like the cask...great opportunity.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

depending on when you are going to fill it. in week or two? you'll likely need water for a couple of days to swell it, a week full of water is no problem and likely is required to ensure no leaks.
if it's going to be a long time, you may consider letting it dry, but be prepared for a battle to get it to hold water.
for medium term storage i'd add a litre or two or three of the same water you are going to dilute with, with a bit of heart cut likker so nothing grows in there..and roll it around every few days to keep things wet, then just add whiskey when you got whiskey. i would just add to the water, to take advantage of whatever extraction happens.

if it's dry, before swelling a barrel i usually will tap the rings on a bit tighter too.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Joedonna117
Novice

Post by Joedonna117 »

Thank you it is in the basement haven't told the wife yet I bought it was going to go with the 5 gallon they had but this was only $20 more. Was planning on leaving this go and try wood cubes in gallon jugs.i need to do more reading on that aspect.

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE INPUT/ADVICE
Joedonna117
Novice

Post by Joedonna117 »

HDNB I plan on starting to fill next Sunday. But I also do not know how long its been empty already they told me just emptied think I will roll some water and spirits around. I do know it smells GOOD!!! Thank you
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

You must not have gotten any instructions with the barrel. The first thing you want to do is fill it with hot water and let it set overnight. Drain it out the next day and refill it. Very little of the char will be lost in the water as you will be able to tell by the color of the water you drain out. You might have to leave water in it for a week or more before it is all sealed. You may be surprised how long it takes to swell and seal. When you have enough spirits to fill it, just drain out the water an fill to the top. I usually try for around 130 proof to barrel age. There will be some moisture in the wood from setting which will dilute your spirit.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Treatment for new barrels seems to differ from Cooper to Cooper to some extent. Ive bought 2 new barrels from the same Cooperage over a period of time.
These are his instructions for 25L-50L barrels and what has worked for me.
Put approximately 3-4 Liters of very hot but not boiling water into the barrel. Put the bung in the barrel and stand the barrel on one end.
Leave it like this for 10 mins.
Turn the barrel and stand it on the other end for another 10 minutes.
Repeat if necessary.
Once barrel taken up drain water and fill immediately with spirit.
Ive done 2 new barrels this way as well as about 4 older dry second hand ones, it has worked well in all cases.
If it takes longer to stop a barrel leaking its either very very dry, or if new, badly made in my opinion.
Everything Ive read and been told says that its not a great idea to fill barrels with water for any longer than you need to.
Joedonna117
Novice

Post by Joedonna117 »

Saltbuh Bill Thank you I will have spirits Sunday afternoon I will do what you suggest in the morning barrel seems freshly emptied looks somewhat moist inside. I will make sure sealed thanks again