UJSSM - Substituting Vanilla Extract for Real Vanilla Beans?

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

joeymac
Swill Maker

UJSSM - Substituting Vanilla Extract for Real Vanilla Beans?

Post by joeymac »

My previous aging has been done in Quart Jars:
~ 600mL UJSSM (tempered to 100-120 proof)
Jack Daniels #7 Smoking Oak Chips (fill chips to ~100ml Mason Jar line or 2.5oz weight)
half of a granny smith apple; skin on, sliced 1/8 inch thick
half of a honeycrisp apple; skin on, sliced 1/8 inch thick
1/2 TBSP Maple Syrup
1 inch segment of Madagascar Vanilla Bean, split lengthwise with razor blade
Leave on Oak Chips 3 weeks. Filter. Bottle. Let Age.

As it turns out, madagascar vanilla bean has become very hard to find. Impossible locally and priced absurdly online. I do have some McCormick organic non-GMO pure madagascar vanilla extract (ingredients: vanilla bean, alcohol, water). I'm guessing it should be pretty decent stuff. How much of my vanilla bean extract should I use to replicate the vanilla profile of my 1" split vanilla bean?
"Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks" - God (Isaiah 5:22)
So evidently, God wants us to drink our whiskeys single barrel and our Bourbons neat.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Re: UJSSM - Substituting Vanilla Extract for Real Vanilla Be

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Take a 1" split been and soak it in an oz of white dog for two weeks...then take on oz of white dog and add your extract, one drop at a time until you get a taste that's close and use that drop count...the good thing with a liquid extract is, if you feel that the vanilla taste is low in your main batch it's easy to adjust.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
joeymac
Swill Maker

Re: UJSSM - Substituting Vanilla Extract for Real Vanilla Be

Post by joeymac »

But I don't have any vanilla bean or I'd just put THAT in the aging jars... that's the problem! :lol:

So I put 650ml of white dog @ 55% in the quart jars with the regular amount of oak chips, maple, apples, and then added just a half-TBSP of vanilla extract.

I noticed I was able to take a wider cut of spirit this time through, too. It was a 50/50 cracked corn & steel cut oats UJSSM instead of just cracked corn in the UJSSM and the oats/corn was allowed to rest much longer than I've ever rested a corn-only UJSSM before sampling the cuts. Usually, if I take 20 jars of corn UJSSM spirit off the still I can keep maybe the middle 6 jars; or about the middle 30% of the run made the cut. This time I was able to keep the middle 8 out of 19 jars; or middle 42%. Heck, I almost kept another jar on each side of the cut but decided not to get greedy.
"Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks" - God (Isaiah 5:22)
So evidently, God wants us to drink our whiskeys single barrel and our Bourbons neat.