Norwegian Aquavit

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rubelstrudel
Rumrunner

Norwegian Aquavit

Post by rubelstrudel »

I have been experimenting with spices for a proper norwegian Aquavit, (Akevitt, Akvavit, Aqua Vitae) lately and I have arrived at a spice mix that really appeals to me. A norwegian aquavit is a spiced neutral gin that is flavoured with tinctures, either directly or indirectly. In my first attempts I tried making a spice mix and macerate everything in one go, but that didn't really turn out well. But when I started making tinctures of each spice, and do a careful blend in the end my results were much much better. I have now made a recipe that I will use for my batch that will be put to aging.

I start out with a decent neutral. Tradition has it that it should be made from potatoes, or grain. But I have this refluxed rum feints that turned out rather tasty on their own. I used that as the basis for my Aquavit. Rum goes well with most of the ingredients I am using, and the end result is also pleasing.

The main ingredients in Aquavit is Caraway oil (Carum Carvi) that you either make by macerating caraway seeds and filtering. Or you use Caraway Oil bought at a health store. I recommend using caraway oil found in health stores, in the essential oil shelf. This is a very potent spice. A mere 3-5 drops is enough for a full litre of 40% spirit. Be careful. All the other spices I have macerated in 60% spirit, except the orange peel that was macerated in 95% spirit, and cinnamon that was macerated in 50%. Cinnamon is mostly water soluble, and orange peel is mostly ethanol soluble.

Since I am using tinctures, and not a fixed amount of spices I can't really give an amount of spices to use. But I'll explain how much of each flavour I am adding, and how it adds to and complements other flavours.

For each 1 litre of 40% spirit I add the following:
1) 4 drops of caraway oil. I dillute the carraway oil in a tablespoon of 95% ethanol before mixing. It helps with dissolving the oil.
2) 5-20 ml of Orange zest tincture. Not enough to overpower the caraway, but enough to complement it and add to the scent.
3) 10-30 ml of Aniseed tincture. It all depends on the strength. I love liquorice - and it goes so well with orange and caraway.
4) 10-30 ml of Liquorice root tincture. This is adding even more to the liquorice note.
5) 5-10 ml of Cinnamon tincture. Enough to almost taste it, not enough to make it smell or taste like cinnamon.
6) 5-10ml of Clove tincture. Clove makes the orange and cinnamon blend into a fuller whole.
7) 5-10ml of Coriander seed tincture. This is one of the background tastes. Should not be noticable directly, only as a hint.
\8) 5-10ml of Cummin seed tincture. Careful with this. A little is good, to much is bad.
9) 5-10ml of Fennel seed tincture. Just for adding a spirit of a hint. Very careful. To much breaks the spell.

Mix it all up, and give it a shake and you're done. If you're an uncultured Swede or Dane, you'd drink your Aquavit now. And that is perfectly all right. If your base spirit is good, you're now sitting there with a great aquavit for sipping. But if you really want to reach the heavens, now it is time for aging on oak - and moving your spirit around to see the world. Proper aquavit should be exposed to temperature changes, rocking movements and crossing of a border to become really good. Real norwegian Linie Aquavit is stored on oak barrels that are transported from norway to Australia and back on transport ships to achieve the perfect blend of spice and oak and the blessings of Poseidon.

I am blending my Aquavit at cask strength (60%) and putting it in a stainless 5 litre growler with toasted oak sticks that will stand in the back of my car until next christmas when I will be ready for drinking. The car's constant movement, temperature changes and crossing of county borders will emulate that sea voyage that is defining real Linie Aquavit. (no crossing the equator though, but you can't have all.) I'll have to go on a ferry or two to get poseidon to bless my endeavors.

Right now I am enjoying a danish style Aquavit. But next year the real thing will be ready.
_o5G3F58.jpeg
NOTE: If you make your own caraway seed tincture it should be made a few months in advance. Caraway tincture is rather harsh directly after making. but a few months of age will let the heavier and harsher elements precipitate out and leave only the light and aromatic oils. If you use "essential oil Caraway oil" - this is allready done for you, so I recommend doing that.
Last edited by rubelstrudel on Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always impatient. But learning.
rubelstrudel
Rumrunner

Re: Norwegian Aquavit

Post by rubelstrudel »

20191201_142905.jpg
My stainless barrel that goes in the trunk of my car at cask strength.
And a little something that will suffice for christmas this year at 40%.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Here is a link to my Aquavit that even my Norwegian relatives love. Also if you read through the thread you will find a recipe for Kümmel (German name for an Aquavit Liqueur).
Aquavit
rubelstrudel
Rumrunner

Post by rubelstrudel »

Bushman wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:21 am Here is a link to my Aquavit that even my Norwegian relatives love. Also if you read through the thread you will find a recipe for Kümmel (German name for an Aquavit Liqueur).
Aquavit
I read that old thread, but didn't like the recipe Odin was using. According to my gramps and In my humble viking opinion herbs should go directly into an Aquavit. And using tinctures removes most of that sting he is talking about while also giving better control over the blending. The main point I am making though is to use premade Caraway Oil or remember to create your caraway tincture months in advance of actual using it. Makes for a much rounder and less stringent aroma and scent.

The herb bill is based on my gramps old recipe for when he was preparing his home macerated Christmas Aquavit. Gramps simply added his herbs to a bottle, let it soak for a week and strained off the herbs. But when I tried that the caraway turned out bitter and not to my liking.
kmmuellr
Novice

Post by kmmuellr »

rubelstrudel wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:54 pm

I am blending my Aquavit at cask strength (60%) and putting it in a stainless 5 litre growler with toasted oak sticks that will stand in the back of my car until next christmas when I will be ready for drinking. The car's constant movement, temperature changes and crossing of county borders will emulate that sea voyage that is defining real Linie Aquavit. (no crossing the equator though, but you can't have all.) I'll have to go on a ferry or two to get poseidon to bless my endeavors.

Reviving this thread from the dead, as I'm about to embark on some Akavit making endeavors. How did this turn out rubelstrudel?

K
rubelstrudel
Rumrunner

Post by rubelstrudel »

Actually, it turned out the best stuff I ever made. A smooth round and really tasty schnapps, still retaining that caraway freshness and sharpness, but in moderation - complemented by roasted oak with vanilla and coffee-tones. One year in the trunk did absolute wonders. I have two liters of the stuff left, and saving it for special occasions. My good friend and very enthusiastic critic has been bugging me if I have some more of the stuff, but the last two bottles is for my own indulgement.
20211019_084212.jpg
I did end up adding a lot more caraway oil though, maybe 3-4 times as much as in the original receipt. The caraway oil mellowed down so much in the end of summer that I had to add a lot more than what I originally used. Right now it is just to my liking after everything has calmed down on bottles.