Pistachio Shells Rapid Aging

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

LabDistiller
Novice

Pistachio Shells Rapid Aging

Post by LabDistiller »

My spirit was overpoweringly flora, to a degree I really didn't like. I boiled, then oven roasted those shells, they range from black to almost pale.
After 2 days the color is like this, the smell is a bit nutty now and the floral notes have been tamed. Overall it did really improve the nose, will filter it (cold filtering) after 2-3 days as I am afraid the pistachio will overpower if I leave it longer.
As for the flavor I am the worst person to ask lol, my tongue can't differentiate alcohol flavor easily.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Pistachio Shells Rapid Aging

Post by NZChris »

After several months, my dark roasted pistachio experiment had lost a lot of the pistachio flavor it started with. Nearly two years later, it tastes ok.

As long as you haven't used silly amounts, the best cure for what seems like too much at first, might be to do nothing.

I don't know that they have a place in 'rapid aging' as I never used them for that.
LabDistiller
Novice

Post by LabDistiller »

Thanks for the headsup chris, I will stop the aging sooner then, as I prefer to keep it well balanced.
Also I think I misused the term rapid aging, as I just put it in and out of the fridge a few times.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

In my experience, removing the shells, or oak, isn't helpful, even if you think it is too strong and unbalanced.

Chilling it is the opposite of what is needed to speed up aging, as reactions occur faster as temperature increases.
viewtopic.php?t=38991
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=55301
LabDistiller
Novice

Post by LabDistiller »

I think you miss understood me, it is not overpowering yet. I did remove the shells today as I was happy with the color/ smell.
Also I thought chilling was good because of the temp difference forcing the liquid to move in and out of the wood.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

This seems like a great idea to acquire color, especially if you like how the taste of your AG turned out...is it that much different than Micro-Waving to get the color from Oak?
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I've seen many posts about chilling and heating, but I'm very skeptical and can't think of any reasons why it might work except that you agitate the contents when moving the jar, moving the saturated layer away from the wood. It's probably no better than leaving it at room temperature and giving it a swirl a couple of times a day.
LabDistiller
Novice

Post by LabDistiller »

BoomTown, after that I just used some homemade caramel color, it gave it a nice amber color.

Chris, it maybe it. I think aeration really helps.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Because the shells are thin, you get most of the color and flavor quite quickly, so leaving them in isn't going to make the flavor much stronger. Like with oak, if you leave them in the liquor they will provide breakdown components over time and the flavor will mellow, but I think you want something to drink fairly quickly, not in months or years. If you have a microwave you could hurry it along a bit.
LabDistiller
Novice

Post by LabDistiller »

Yes I needed something to drink quickly, as I distill out of necessity not to make something fancy.
Today I will do a faux old fashioned with it and see how it turned out.