Fixing a ridiculously over sweet whiskey?

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Fixing a ridiculously over sweet whiskey?

Post by Beerswimmer »

So I made a bourbon 6 months ago that was 70% corn and 30% Vienna malt trying to get an extra caramelly bourbon. I also put it into an ex maple syrup barrel. And to top it off the entry proof was 55% to try to get sweetness from the barrel. Well.....it all worked. All of it. DI-A-BEETUS!!! Firstly, it smells more like maple syrup than whiskey. It tastes like "whiskey" liqueur, but sweeter and not much like bourbon at all. It's thick, and so sweet it's cloying. I need to fix this, there's no way you could drink even a half pour of this.

So my options are 1: Let it keep aging, and hope it improves. 2: Put it into another used bourbon barrel that will be available in 2 weeks and let it age, and hope that it improves. 3: blend with something that will no doubt be better, but that will kinda ruin the good stuff. Or 4: I have no idea, you tell me :crazy:

20200408_143710.jpg
20200406_120252.jpg
20201008_134316.jpg

5: start stocking up on insulin :roll:
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
JesseMarques
Bootlegger

Re: Fixing a ridiculously over sweet whiskey?

Post by JesseMarques »

I would try this:
put this in some vessel to keep for a while.
Brew the same recipe and distill the same
add the white dog and try proportions, you may end up with something to your taste
you could also keep putting the bacth into the barrel to try extract the excessive flavor
CopperFiend
Swill Maker

Post by CopperFiend »

Ha, worst case scenario, re-run it :ebiggrin:

Or save it for blending in small quantities with batches that need more sweetness I'd say.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Save it to make blended whiskey with like copper said
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Make a fresh batch and use it to cut the aged.

Rerunning will screw up the previous barrel effects.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Beerswimmer »

I do have some corn, I could make some white dog and try to blend that in. Thanks, I don't know why I didn't think of that :oops:
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Sometimes we're too close to the problem.

Though what you've got already sounds good to me. I make a maple liquor but I can never keep it in stock!

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Even if blending it down is too sweet you could use it as a mixer for cocktails where you’d normally use simple syrup. Macerate some fruit and call it a dirty panty dropper. Orange peels, more oak and a touch of cinnamon for a gran marnier style whiskey based liquer. What’s drambui made from?

Just some ideas!

Cheers,
Jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Beerswimmer wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:40 pm So my options are 1: Let it keep aging, and hope it improves.
No it wont
2: Put it into another used bourbon barrel that will be available in 2 weeks and let it age, and hope that it improves.
Sorry again no it wont
3: blend with something that will no doubt be better, but that will kinda ruin the good stuff.
Your correct, you'll be throwing good whiskey into bad...not a sound idea
Or 4: I have no idea
, you tell me
dilute it and re-run it
Dilute it and re-run it...I know it's a PITA but it's only a lose of time and not good spirits. You've done your cuts, you like your product, so you don't need to do the cuts again, so just re-run it and you'll see that most of that over powering sweetness will almost be, not noticeable.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you don't want to make it into various liqueurs, you might be stuck with having to distill it to get rid of the sugar. Maybe run it with enough fresh wash to knock the abv down to where you want it. If the brix of the backset is quite high, you could use it in the next ferment.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

No 3 would be my choice. If you are anything like me, then sooner or later you'll make something that won't be sweet enough and requires blending out with some sweeter stocks.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Dilute it and re-run it...
I don't think you have to go all in and re-run all of it. Consider correcting it in stages. Mash and ferment another 70/30 batch, and:

1. Add a measured amount (by a percentage ie: 30%) of maple bourbon to the stripping run; conversely you could add a measured amount to just the spirit run; start with a conservative percentage.
2. See how that airs and cuts. Note the percentages of each contribution and the results, and adjust the percentages in a second batch accordingly.

Either test effectively reduces the contribution of perceived unwanted sweetness and after two batches you should have a better idea of how to proceed. From this exercise you will invariably learn something valuable to take forward rather than just attempting a shotgun approach and hope for the best.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

I'm in the "keep it" camp where you just keep it on the shelf labeled so you know what it is and I bet down the line you can blend it with new stuff you make to get some really nice extra flavor in the new stuff.

You don't have to obey any kind of strict TTB labeling requirement so don't be too worried about making things by the book definition. Make what tastes good to you. 8)

Also, reuse that barrel for a batch with wide cuts and see if now that you got the majority of the sugar out you'll end up with something you can keep in there for a good long time to age into something really nice.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

where i am commercial Bourbon are over sweetend... i do once in a while buy elaja craigh at exhorbant price and even then it is too sweet... make an all corn mash, run high abv, make a good heart cut and blend with your too sweet run. add some dryed apricots... carefull it will add sweetnes.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

You in Canada.....eh?

Most Canadian whiskeys are blended, so you’re in the right ballpark (hockey rink?). If you’ve got another bourbon aging in oak, then try mixing samples 50/50 and see how it turns out. You may have just produced a Crown Royale Maple clone.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:55 pm Even if blending it down is too sweet you could use it as a mixer for cocktails where you’d normally use simple syrup. Macerate some fruit and call it a dirty panty dropper. Orange peels, more oak and a touch of cinnamon for a gran marnier style whiskey based liquer. What’s drambui made from?

Just some ideas!

Cheers,
Jonny
+1.
Though my first instinct would be to blend it back to a closer version of whiskey, this sounds like a good plan too.

I love a proper cocktail and this kind of a mixer could be a pretty special adjunct.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

I have an idea.

Once I went to a local craft distillery, and ordered a cocktail. I was hooked for a long time, as it was a whiskey based breakfast cocktail. It's called a Bootlegger's Breakfast, and it's the cocktail I reference in my Easy Large Batch mashing thread. The main ingredients? Bourbon and maple syrup. :clap:

Bootleggers Breakfast

1.5 oz Rye Bourbon (although any bourbon works well)
1.5 oz Maple Syrup (basically equals parts with bourbon, to taste)
Dash of cinnamon (I personally prefer fresh grated nutmeg)
5 oz Orange Juice (again to taste)

I put it all in a shaker with ice, strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice. Serve with a cinnamon stick of you like.

Seems to me blending this bourbon will be the best approach, but give this cocktail a try first. It's killer, and you may not need as much maple syrup with that bourbon (if any at all). Seems like it goes perfect for this recipe.

Lucky guy. 8)
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

100% SCD!!
I bet a secondary rest in an oatmeal stout (or the like) barrel would impart some Belgian waffle notes too.

Yeah I'd be bugger'd up by 7am...
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

I think I'm going to get it out of the barrel and re-distill it with some fresh wash. I have about 4.5 gallons, better to use it in something that I might actually enjoy. What will the new wash be? Probably some oats. And I'll be keeping it white.

Thanks guys!
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:21 am
Bootleggers Breakfast

1.5 oz Rye Bourbon (although any bourbon works well)
1.5 oz Maple Syrup (basically equals parts with bourbon, to taste)
Dash of cinnamon (I personally prefer fresh grated nutmeg)
5 oz Orange Juice (again to taste)
This sounds super-delicious. Beerswimmer, please tell us you're gonna hold back a liter so you can make these. :thumbup:

If you used a wheater it might taste like morning pancakes in a glass. Warm the concoction in a mug and put whipped cream on top.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Muddle and garnish with a couple blueberries lol!
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————