Cold aging

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Windswept
Swill Maker

Cold aging

Post by Windswept »

I had a look through the archives for something to help, but couldn’t find anything really relevant.

I’m looking to get a full sized barrel, but storing it long term in the house is going to be a pain. I do have a large, in-heated shed!

My only concern is that we get massive temperature changes over the yeah, call it 30C to -30c. Anyone aged with these temps or have something I could read to convince myself I’m not going to ruin 50-some gallons of booze?
If I didn't learn the hard way, I wouldn't learn at all!
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Cold aging

Post by Expat »

Temp swing is the key to barrel aging. I see no issues with those temps.

Just make sure the space is secure from prying hands!

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by seamusm53 »

Expat wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:11 am Temp swing is the key to barrel aging. I see no issues with those temps.
Agree with Expat. The temp swings help with movement of product in/out of the wood of a barrel. Commercial rickhouses will move barrels up and down to expose barrels to these swings within the storage environment and seasonal temp variations from summer to winter. Even at -30 degrees you shouldn't see freezing of the barrel contents presuming it is at least 40-50 proof.
CopperFiend
Swill Maker

Post by CopperFiend »

Yep, as above, that should actually improve your aging. I move my barrels from the shed to inside the house occasionally to simulate that in miniature.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

When you say "Full size" are you referring to a 55 gallon barrel?
Why do you want to age in such a large barrel?
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Useful information Shady.

So if OP is barreling at 60-65% he should be good down around -40C, which is plenty for his general location.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Windswept »

Yes, should have started with a chart like that. We do get swings down to -40, but not for extended periods, and they're becoming less common (thanks global warming!).

As to why I'm looking for such a large barrel, I'm hoping to go legit some day and I'd like the experience of a full-blown barrel at least once. Realistically though it'll probably be a 20ga barrel, 55ga will take forever with my 8 gallon boiler!
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Also I should just point out a smaller barrel "ages faster".
There's an inner area to volume calculation somewhere here on HD that shows how much slower the larger barrels are at aging.
I have used 5 gallon, 8 gallon and 15 gallon.
It takes one hell of a lot of still time to fill a 15 gallon barrel, but my product really came out great after 3 years.
The 5 gallon barrel was finished to my liking at 1 year, but I have to admit I like the stuff from the 15 much better.
Some of this is due to my own improvement and some is due to the amount of time, hard to say how much of each.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

I'd read that. So far I've used 1/2 and 5 gallon barrels, and I agree, about a year is perfect for a 5 gallon (of UJSSM). A 55ga barrel would take me forever to fill, but would give me lots of runs to practice on... kind of a hard decision to make.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Go small. You might die before you fill the 55, or before it ages. And if not, you'll die of boredom drinking 40 gallons of the same spirit. And just like death, you can't take it with you when you go legit.

And.... 8 gallon boiler? Good grief man, might as well start building a boat and writing a novel. Because filling a 55 from an 8 gallon boiler is just another project that won't ever get finished.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

zapata wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:13 am Go small. You might die before you fill the 55, or before it ages. And if not, you'll die of boredom drinking 40 gallons of the same spirit. And just like death, you can't take it with you when you go legit.

And.... 8 gallon boiler? Good grief man, might as well start building a boat and writing a novel. Because filling a 55 from an 8 gallon boiler is just another project that won't ever get finished.
No kidding! Its taken me 4 weekends so far with a 13 gallon boiler and 23 gallon mashes and I'm less than half way to my target for a 5 gallon barrel. I'd never attempt a full barrel on a hobby level. At my age, I would never enjoy the fruits of all that labor.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

I'm upgrading to a 15 gallon if that will help... :P

I know it's a huge stretch, but I picked up 90 gallons of honey this fall and I have no idea what to do with the results. I'll likely save it up for a long time in glass and barrel it when I have almost enough.

Or I'll get fed up and buy a smaller barrel
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Honey is actually one of my favorite white but also very good on wood. Did you already ferment and distill the 90 gallons of honey? Expensive stuff so...
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

Nope, working on it, it’ll probably take me all winter.
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

I put a Tv and recliner in the drilling room and my father in law retired last year. I think he can handle stripping runs!