Anybody using Liquid Oak Tannins?

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

n_plains_drifter
Swill Maker

Anybody using Liquid Oak Tannins?

Post by n_plains_drifter »

Did a search but nothing showed up, please point me to the right spot if I've missed a topic somewhere.

A couple of months back I was at the local brew store, and they were selling off a bunch of items that didn't get much love. As per usual, I'm digging around in the corners since I have at least one or two of everything in the middle.

I came across a a dozen and a half 2 oz bottles of BSG Liquid Oak Tannins in a couple of flavors: Vanilla and Mocha. SInce they were marked down to a couple of bucks each, what the heck, one of each went into my basket. They are described as 'enological tannin extracted from French Oak' and consist of "Gallo tannins composed of hydrolysable ellagitannins from toasted and untoasted French oak and purified water. No additives."

Anybody heard of something similar, and have you used them with any good results? I've got a couple of projects in flight where I may add them. Only problem is I'm a few months out at least from having something smooth enough to try. But maybe I'll just set aside two pints, one with and one without

https://bsgwine.com/about-us is a company that supplies to the wine industry.

Here's a link to the cut sheet from the vanilla tannin: https://bsgcraft.com/Resources/Tech_She ... Tannin.pdf

I'll post up results as they become available.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Anybody using Liquid Oak Tannins?

Post by Deplorable »

I've not used them, but I got to nose some at the winery the other day and I have to say the smell was incredible. The way they were explained to me, was the tannins were extracted from the same oak dust that wineries sometimes use to add oakiness to wines stored in a neutral barrel.
I have half a mind to try some in a jar of KSSF. It wont cost me nothing, and if I dont like it, I'll just toss it on the corny keg with other stuff waiting for a reflux run.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
n_plains_drifter
Swill Maker

I have yet to snell them, but I realized I wasn't aging on charred, so I just made up a batch so that I could get a bit more color.

When I pull that off, I'll let it smooth for a couple of weeks, and then I;m going to set aside 3 jars of identical product. One clean, one with Vanilla, and one with mocha. I'll report back.
n_plains_drifter
Swill Maker

This past weekend, while preparing to mix up a batch of holiday spirts, I realized that rather than use a 3-4 liters of my early product that's benn aging for a couple of months, I could use up the second gen UJSSM that I ran weekend prior.

I added a total of 1.4 ml of the mocha and vanilla (.7 ml each) into each of two 1.75 l batches that are the base for our Northern Plains Cream. Who's going to miss a bit of oak aging when mixed with cream, sweetened condensed milk, coffee, coffee liquor and chocolate syrup???

But before the big blend, I did a side by side taste test of straight UJSSM @ 50% to the same with the tannins.

The nose was absolutely amazing. As you'd guess by the names, lots of vanilla and caramel. And while the taste wasn't nearly as profound, it definitely softened a bit of the bite. It's not a substitute for time on wood, but I think that they will add to the complexity.

Best, Drifter
n_plains_drifter
Swill Maker

On a related note, I did the conversions and got .4 ml / 500 ml product for anyone who might want to experiment.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I added 30ml toasted oak tannins to 5 gallons of Bourbon low wines. It's in the middle of a 3 week rest before I get time for the spirit run. I dont know how much if any will carry over. Dosage on the jug was a recommended 6.6ml/gallon.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

REALLY ?, ? But really most of us here are about making a quality from the start without adding garbage flavorings, just make a good drop from the start
Stay safe
OVZ
jward
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jward »

I have used some of the wine making tannin products in mead and have wondered about their application in spirits. I expect it warrants some experimentation. I will say that I have used them in conjunction with time on oak and not so much in place of time on oak.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Agree with OVZ and on the other hand I've purposefully made small quantities of over-oaked wines and ports to add to my aging stock for so-called finishing touches - Added the wine sometimes and pieces of the wine macerated wood other times...

As a matter of fact when I draw off an aging bottle the last bits tend to become over-oaked because of the ratios and times involved and I'll mix that with next batch as sort of an ongoing solera style rendering... This is sort of a hoe-made extract if you want to look at it like this...

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

I needed some used white oak to pre-age my single malt while its waiting its turn to go into my rum filled cask in a couple years. I toasted and charred some seasoned white oak bones and placed them into a jar filled with rum heads to soak for about 3 months. I took a bone out recently and dropped it into a 0.5G jar of 6 month old single malt. Let me tell you that it is delicious. I’m looking forward to how it will turn out in the barrel. So adding a few milliliters of the over-oaked rum heads “tincture” to finish or age a quality spirit isn’t a bad thing IMO.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Oldvine Zin wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:49 pm REALLY ?, ? But really most of us here are about making a quality from the start without adding garbage flavorings, just make a good drop from the start
Stay safe
OVZ
Oak tannins are used widely in the wine industry, both at fermentation and as a finishing agent. This hobby is all about experimenting and discovery, so why not experiment and find out? I'd hardly call oak tannins a "garbage flavoring" considering that they are the same things you're adding to your spirits by aging on oak. "Bourbon essance" on the other hand, I'd agree are "garbage flavoring".
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Deplorable wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:40 am

Oak tannins are used widely in the wine industry, both at fermentation and as a finishing agent. T
Well I would have to say that at our winery we have tasted and shown the Oak Solutions rep out the door. Sure a more cost effective way to make a wine sure, but for the quality no f ing way. I just tasted a wine made from that crap and well lots o oak and other unnaturally flavors in a young wine. No thank you.
Stay safe
OVZ
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Wouldn’t adding a small amount of tannins to an American barrel be like imitating a French barrel?
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Twisted Brick wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:16 pm Wouldn’t adding a small amount of tannins to an American barrel be like imitating a French barrel?
No

Stay safe
OVZ
jward
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jward »

I don't know about any liquid tannin products. I had these and similar in mind tannin riche or tannin complex They aren't magic elixirs sold to make vodka into whiskey. They are solid products used by the wine industry. I expect that I will test some of these while waiting on time an oak to do their thing.