5 gal barrel who made it?

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sailman
Swill Maker

5 gal barrel who made it?

Post by Sailman »

I may have a chance to pick this up for $80 does anyone have an idea of the maker. I was told it was brand new never used. Is it worth $80?
HEV_1605109961403.jpg
HEV_1605109908214.jpg
HEV_1605109877212.jpg
HEV_1605109818167.jpg
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Re: 5 gal barrel who made it?

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Looks like a Gibbs.

But they didn't send it brand new with that crappy unsafe rubber bung, I can promise you that. They always send 3 wooden bungs.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Brand new is over $200. But don't quote me that is a Gibbs. They just have that SCP always. I know, becuase I only use Gibbs and wish they had SCD, not SCP (so close!, lol)..
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

The person that has this couldn't tell me much about it and he said that he lost the bung when he was moving. He only added the bung after I asked about about it. If in fact this is a Gibbs then $80 is an excellent price. I just hate to spend $80 and then get home and it leaks but I can spend more money online and get one that leaks as well.

a 5-gallon Gibbs barrel with medium toast and number 3 char will run me $180 + 39.50 shipping for a total of 219.50.
Last edited by Sailman on Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

I think that even if it leaks you can swell it or patch with beeswax and such. for 80$, probably worth it even if you take it apart for staves and age in glass.
If I didn't learn the hard way, I wouldn't learn at all!
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Actually, my barrel has s.c.c. , not scp. I wonder if it's a year marker, or a cooperage maker.
IMAG2027.jpg
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Windswept wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:40 am I think that even if it leaks you can swell it or patch with beeswax and such. for 80$, probably worth it even if you take it apart for staves and age in glass.
I kind of agree. There are a lot of staves that can be used, and two heads that can be cut down for 2 Badmo barrels if it leaks too bad to fix.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

well I just contacted the seller I'm supposed to go pick it up tomorrow after work. I think I'm going to put some rye bread whiskey in it to start. I've got a third-generation rye bread in the fermenter right now and I've got about 6 gallons from two different stripping runs. Maybe when I do the spirit run I'll have at least 5 gallons to be able to fill it up. I do have one more question what would be a good source for a wood bung? Any bung actually that would work.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Sailman wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:44 pm well I just contacted the seller I'm supposed to go pick it up tomorrow after work. I think I'm going to put some rye bread whiskey in it to start. I've got a third-generation rye bread in the fermenter right now and I've got about 6 gallons from two different stripping runs. Maybe when I do the spirit run I'll have at least 5 gallons to be able to fill it up. I do have one more question what would be a good source for a wood bung? Any bung actually that would work.
I make my own bungs out of oak, maple, or poplar with a band saw and a stationary belt sander.

hopefully you have tools that can adapt. can you contact gibbs and ask if they branded barrels

with "5 S.C.P." ??
be water my friend
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

My Gibbs has SCC and came with three poplar bungs.

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

I went last night and picked it up and the barrel is in good shape the only problem is the bung. I'm not really set up to do a whole lot of woodworking at the moment so making one would be a pain. I did a post on Facebook about a replacement bung and everybody's telling me to use silicone but if I don't use it as a gasket with my tri clamps I surely won't use it here. I found a few places online that look promising but the shipping would be almost double the cost of the bungs. Any ideas?
IMG_20201113_094906.jpg
IMG_20201113_094955.jpg
IMG_20201113_095027.jpg
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Just spitballing here, could you use a PTFE sheet as a barrier to the rubber plug?
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

What about these?
Screenshot_20201113-091841_Chrome.jpg
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

I would be afraid that anything that was thin enough to be flexible might tear when the bung was put in.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

Yeah I saw those but I think they're for the 53 gallon barrels the bung is a lot smaller on the 5 gallon. I found these I'll have to call and see what the shipping is going 2 cost.

https://jrdistillingproducts.com/produc ... ood-bungs/
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Smallest order is 25 count?
Unless they'll ship just a couple, whittling down one of the Amazon bugs while sipping some whiskey might be more appealing.
Let me know what you find out. If they'll ship a smaller order I may be a buyer. A spare or two never hurt.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

Yes 25 is a lot but if the shipping it's good I'll just put some up here for sale.

Well I just got off the phone with them the shipping is going to run 15 to $20. I think the best option is going to be to get some off Amazon and find a friend with a sander.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Not selling them here. But Gibbs is good southern Arkansas people. I bet if you called them they would send you a couple. Might even charge you for them.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Sailman wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:33 am Yes 25 is a lot but if the shipping it's good I'll just put some up here for sale.

Well I just got off the phone with them the shipping is going to run 15 to $20. I think the best option is going to be to get some off Amazon and find a friend with a sander.
Ive got a set of 6 poplar ones on the way from Amazon, when they get here I'll let you know just how much work it is to whittle one down to fit these 1&7/8ths inch bung holes. The Oak one that came with my barrel looks sketchy. So i'll be putting in a new bung once they get here. I hope to fill the barrel tomorrow evening. Todays runs are on hold waiting for Safelite to show up to replace my windshield.
Barrel is currently holding 4 gallons of swell water, and smells incredible inside.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Sailman wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:33 am Yes 25 is a lot but if the shipping it's good I'll just put some up here for sale.

Wood lathe?

Geoff
The Baker
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:43 am Actually, my barrel has s.c.c. , not scp. I wonder if it's a year marker, or a cooperage maker.

IMAG2027.jpg
Sap clear charred mine says 2scc for 2gallon sap clear charred.yours is gibbs too
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:42 am

Ive got a set of 6 poplar ones on the way from Amazon, when they get here I'll let you know just how much work it is to whittle one down to fit these 1&7/8ths inch bung holes. The Oak one that came with my barrel looks sketchy. So i'll be putting in a new bung once they get here. I hope to fill the barrel tomorrow evening. Todays runs are on hold waiting for Safelite to show up to replace my windshield.
Barrel is currently holding 4 gallons of swell water, and smells incredible inside.
You got your barrel filled deplorable?
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Durhommer wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:35 pm
Deplorable wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:42 am

You got your barrel filled deplorable?
Tomorrow. Stripped my last mash today. I'll do the spirit tomorrow, and blend it into the other two runs then into the barrel. Gave the barrel a good drink of water to swell it today. Boy did it smell good when I pulled the bung out to fill it with distilled water. Not a single weep from it either.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Gibbs sells paraffin lined 5 gallon barrels for general storage (pickles,sauerkraut). Hope the P on your barrel marking doesn't stand for Paraffin.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

Tummydoc wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:32 pm Gibbs sells paraffin lined 5 gallon barrels for general storage (pickles,sauerkraut). Hope the P on your barrel marking doesn't stand for Paraffin.
I don't think that it does, the guy that I got this from said that he picked it up at one of the local homebrew shops. I looked inside with a flashlight and it has really nice Charing.