Think it'll get better?

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

HighSpirits
Novice

Think it'll get better?

Post by HighSpirits »

Well I've been sleepin on the posting side of things here, but despite the silence I've been wide awake at my still this year keeping my brain busy.

I put up 5.5 gal of the best white whisky I ever made, on Jan 3rd of this year, in a commercially once-used 5 gal bourbon barrel from a reputable source.

Recipe was 3 full sacks real-deal golden promise, 1 full sack of rolled oats, fully converted, and WL edinborough ale yeast fermed at 68F. Wasnt cheap, but I at least slanted and cultured the yeast so it wasn't too bad.

Many strip runs through my 30 gal still, and one spirit run through my 15, with two stilldragon flute plates.

After cutting, I diluted to 55% and filled the barrel with 5.5gal and had a liter left over, which I put up in the closet to compare later.

Tasted the white yesterday on the 1st, and wow was it GOOD! Thick and sweet on the mouth with plenty of body and virtually no bite at all at 55%. I try not to give myself too much credit, but I was really proud of it.

Drew 50ml from the barrel and sipped it expecting something even better, and WHAM! What my wife would later eloquently describe as 'burny'. Holy hell it was burny on the tongue. Like I had spiked the barrel with turpentine to prank my future self.

Took a sip of the white again, and sure enough, smooth as a babys butt.

What I think happened... I swelled the barrel with hot water before filling with my spirit, and dumped it out, repeating twice, hoping it would remove at least most of whatever was in there before, in case it was garbage bourbon... but I'm thinking whatever was in there before must have been some first run trash, and tainted my entire barrel.

Unless someone else has any better ideas? Can heads get worse in the presence of oak? Never had that happen with sticks or chips...

I am one sad home distiller this year, folks... :cry:

Think it'll take a turn up if rested in a carboy for a while?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Think it'll get better?

Post by Deplorable »

This is the first sampling of the barreled spirit? Nearly 330 days after filling? How is the flavor? Or is it so hot you cant taste it?
If it's not over oaked, leave it in there and keep checking in on it. Im curious because Ive read first fill 5 gallon barrels are anywhere from 10 to 16 months, and 2nd use should be much longer.
If the flavor is everything you want, than pull it and put it in glass with head space, and vent it from time to time until it comes around.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
HighSpirits
Novice

Post by HighSpirits »

Deplorable wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:10 am This is the first sampling of the barreled spirit? Nearly 330 days after filling? How is the flavor? Or is it so hot you cant taste it?
If it's not over oaked, leave it in there and keep checking in on it. Im curious because Ive read first fill 5 gallon barrels are anywhere from 10 to 16 months, and 2nd use should be much longer.
If the flavor is everything you want, than pull it and put it in glass with head space, and vent it from time to time until it comes around.
Yea, I capped it up and put it in my woodshed knowing I was going to leave it long term, and start taking samples at 11 months. Thought being, other than for learning purposes, why waste by tasting it early. I knew if I dipped in early the distillers share would rival the angels lol

Its not overoaked, but nicely oaked actually, nice carryover of vanillin and very little tannin, and the color is slightly lighter than a highland but slightly darker than an irish. It could go another month or maybe even six, with tastings every few weeks to make sure. Maybe you're on to something with letting it sit much longer, I guess if its not overoaking, more time can only help. I'll take a picture this evening and post back on here.

The sharp bite just seemed to come out of nowhere, I've only been doing this for 3 years but I've never experienced that before. Kinda took me by surprise... I've had bite mellow... but never get worse.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I just filled a 5 gallon Barrel Mill cask that was used once by a local micro distillery on the 15th of November. I filled it with a 50/50 blend of Maris Otter and 2 row Pale. I'll not get into it until spring, but then I'll pull 25ml every few weeks until its ready to bottle. My white dog is very pleasant, but it really needs the oak influence to round it out.
While this one ages, I'll work (much slower) on 5 gallons of 4 grain wheated bourbon to promptly refill the cask.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
HighSpirits
Novice

Post by HighSpirits »

I forgot how sleepy this forum was! Well I have an interesting update.

I took another taste, but this time it tasted very good. Very minimal bite, lots of vanilla and creamy, a very subtle character. Good contender for a sherry or port finish.

Then I realized something interesting...

The day before, I hadn't had a proper taste of liquor in about 10 days roughly. I had also just had a scoop of ice cream. Didn't phase me then, but I got to thinking.

1) obviously having had a taste of spirits the day before probably 'primed' my tongue, for lack of a better word
2) Ive heard of ice cream muddying the senses and distorting the flavors of liquor.

So I did a very unofficial nonscientific test to see. I poured myself a dram of Glendronach, a dram of Jameson, and a dram of mine. I started with the Jameson, then the Glendronach, then mine to compare like with like.

The Jameson had the least flavor, Glendronach had the most (sherry v ery pronounced), and mine was nested in the middle.
Mine had the least 'bite', Glen had the most (also smelled very much like acetone), and Jameson was in the middle.
Mine had a smell of vanilla plums, was very pleasing.

Then I ate a bowl of ice cream, you know, for science.

Waited about 15 minutes and tasted again.

Jameson tasted bitter and sharp, Glendronach tasted like a bitter but sweet toothpick, and mine tasted like a bitter fiery spice bomb.

Crazy, right?? This may just be me and my tongue, but I guess I wont be chasing ice cream with spirits anymore.

Anyway, I'm glad it's all ok. Heres a picture of mine beside the Glendronach, color is almost identical. Mines the more generous pour because hey, I have a barrel full!
20201202_211703 (1).jpg
20201202_211415 (1).jpg
HighSpirits
Novice

Post by HighSpirits »

Deplorable wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:50 am I just filled a 5 gallon Barrel Mill cask that was used once by a local micro distillery on the 15th of November. I filled it with a 50/50 blend of Maris Otter and 2 row Pale. I'll not get into it until spring, but then I'll pull 25ml every few weeks until its ready to bottle. My white dog is very pleasant, but it really needs the oak influence to round it out.
While this one ages, I'll work (much slower) on 5 gallons of 4 grain wheated bourbon to promptly refill the cask.
Thats a good plan! I have a rye/wheat based gin I made sitting white in a carboy ready to make the transfer whenever this one is done. After yesterdays taste, I'm going to give it another month or two max before proofing and resting for a few months
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Thats a good looking spirit. Nice golden color, and sounds tasty.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

:thumbup: Nice

Stay safe
OVZ