Aging wood

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

zharleydave
Novice

Aging wood

Post by zharleydave »

I know white oak is the preferred wood for aging and i have read that people use Maple I was wondering if anybody has ever used Sassafras its fairly common here and smells like it mite impart a Sassafras flavor ?
JesseMarques
Bootlegger

Re: Aging wood

Post by JesseMarques »

It does! Go for it
in Brasil is very comom to add diffent kinds of woods to our cachaça
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

I drink sassafras tea quite a bit. Which I make from the dried root. I also made a "rootbeer" likker about 10 years ago. Some of my buddies really liked it, but it wasnt my favorite. I used a recipe for homemade rootbeer and just substituted white likker for water. I may have to make it again this spring/summer. For something different. I never tried to use any of the wood for aging, it's a real light soft wood when dried. Try it you might like it. If you dont, rerun it.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I don't know that wood but I have used oak, chestnut, cherry and each one gives a different contribution, moreover the flavor changes with various levels of toasting. If you are sure that the wood is not harmful try it, maybe on a small batch!
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

The FDA banned sassafras use in food or flavoring in the late 70's because of supposed danger from the safrole oil. That being said, me and my family has drank sassafras tea as far back as I can remember with no problems. Might be worth a little research though. I'm sure soaking the wood with liquor would bring out the oils.
Plain ole pot rig.
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

River Rat wrote:The FDA banned sassafras use in food or flavoring in the late 70's because of supposed danger from the safrole oil. That being said, me and my family has drank sassafras tea as far back as I can remember with no problems. Might be worth a little research though. I'm sure soaking the wood with liquor would bring out the oils.
I had no clue about that FDA ban. I've drank sassafras tea as long as I can remember, same as most folks in my family. I use the dried root for tea and that's what I used for the root beer likker. I wonder if there is a difference between the root and the wood?
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

We just use the root too. I don't know if the root or the wood holds more of the oil, but the oil is supposed to be the problem. I've never heard of anybody getting sick from it, but aging liquor on it would be different than making tea.
Plain ole pot rig.