Sippin cream... How?

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hero
Novice

Sippin cream... How?

Post by Hero »

Anyone willing to share their recipe for making sippin cream, how long it lasts, and storage?

My and the belly of all others who read will thank you.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Sippin cream... How?

Post by still_stirrin »

The Recipe Development forum has a lot of interesting recipes (and ensuing discussions). Do a search for “cream” and see what you get.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Hero
Novice

Post by Hero »

Yes, I have done this and it nets over 1600 results with many about recipes for cocktails, etc. That is interesting and there may even be recipes for cream spirits if I dug enough but that is not what I wanted this thread for. I wanted a place for people to post their favorite cream spirit recipes for everyone in a simple listing so everyone can bounce ideas and improve their recipes.

Still_stirrin with all due respect I understand you not wanting redundant posts here but that is not what I was trying to do and if I am met every time I try and ask questions or converse with my peers with search then I misunderstood the point of a forum. I appreciate your response but it does nothing for answering the question or moving forward with the discussion I was trying to have. Regardless, if it pleases the jury I will no longer use this forum for that end until I have more time in being able to contribute new discussion to avoid this, and hopefully, that comes before I tire of reading a thousand posts before finding relevant information.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If searching for cream gives you too many results, search for sippin cream. Are you trying to clone a commercial product that goes by that name?
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Hero wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:57 am Anyone willing to share their recipe for making sippin cream,
NZChris wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:38 pm Are you trying to clone a commercial product that goes by that name?
Ive never heard of the stuff , can we get some sort of clarification of what this is , then people might be able to supply answers.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Using my imagination I could think of example in Baileys?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

In that case Punkins Muck springs to mind.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Baileys is a common example. I favor bourbon cream and there are many online recipes. Odin had posted his wife's favorite christmas cream on the forum, a variation of eggnog. I think any dairy cream based drink proofed high enough to prevent spoilage would qualify. As to what proof renders the product shelf stable I'm not certain. I would aim for 17-18% Abv like a port. Looking at the commercial ones in my cabinet they vary from 12.5 to 17%.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i do a fair amount of cream. the trick is balancing the ph before adding flavour/booze to the cream. if you don't you'll get cottage cheese. aim for 7.2
as far as pathogens and spoilage goes, buy the freshsest longest lasting cream you can get...that means new UHT. you want to end up with a fat content around 12% so start with as high as you can find in your area. I have good luck with 18% but i.ll use 33 if i can get it.
the booze will keep anything from growing for upto about a year in 45 day UHT cream at 16-17%
you should also add a lecithin of soy for an emulsifier agent; it will keep the booze and cream from separating.
there is no need for preservative but Baily's uses a couple....sodium citrate or laurelate or some shit...dunno it's on the label if you look.
finally to maintain viscosity when you dilute the cream with booze/flavour it will thin it. you can compensate for that (and add a bit of sweetness) by adding maltodextrine of tapioca to the flavour....and then do the ph before adding the cream (malto is acidic)
avoid recipes using egg, use the suggestions above for viscosity and emulsifier...raw eggs are a good recipe for salmonella.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I did it with excellent results and very simple ingredients, I think I will post a my youtube video if you are interested ....
3illmesmart
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 3illmesmart »

I have made a few.

Basic recipe is 1 can sweet condensed milk, 1 small carton (1/2) pint?) and then flavours, cocoa, coffee etc and your alcohol of choice.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

SpeakEasy
Novice

Post by SpeakEasy »

Unpopular Opinion:
I like Sugarlands Sippin' Cream.
They catch a lot of flack for being mass produced but their product tasted just fine. My wide and I were introduced to them last year in Gatlinburg.
The wise man has something to say. The fool has to say something.
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

SpeakEasy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:00 am Unpopular Opinion:
I like Sugarlands Sippin' Cream.
They catch a lot of flack for being mass produced but their product tasted just fine. My wide and I were introduced to them last year in Gatlinburg.
I think this is what he was asking about and not Bailey's specifically.
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

HDNB wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:46 am i do a fair amount of cream. the trick is balancing the ph before adding flavour/booze to the cream. if you don't you'll get cottage cheese. aim for 7.2
as far as pathogens and spoilage goes, buy the freshsest longest lasting cream you can get...that means new UHT. you want to end up with a fat content around 12% so start with as high as you can find in your area. I have good luck with 18% but i.ll use 33 if i can get it.
the booze will keep anything from growing for upto about a year in 45 day UHT cream at 16-17%
you should also add a lecithin of soy for an emulsifier agent; it will keep the booze and cream from separating.
there is no need for preservative but Baily's uses a couple....sodium citrate or laurelate or some shit...dunno it's on the label if you look.
finally to maintain viscosity when you dilute the cream with booze/flavour it will thin it. you can compensate for that (and add a bit of sweetness) by adding maltodextrine of tapioca to the flavour....and then do the ph before adding the cream (malto is acidic)
avoid recipes using egg, use the suggestions above for viscosity and emulsifier...raw eggs are a good recipe for salmonella.
HDNB

This is excellent and the best I've read on use of cream in spirits. I've learned a fair amount just from your quick reply.

Do you have some general guidelines for amount to use (lecithin, maltodxtrine, etc)? Should you have time and inclination, I believe it would be helpful for you to do a thorough write up of your process, amounts, etc. Then maybe a favorite cream based likker or two. From there others can add their other cream based likkers based on your general write up for the base cream. I could see that thread growing into the SPD thread with how others use other fruits for infusions.