Damn! My barrel's too big!

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

IMALOSERSCUMBAG
Swill Maker

Re: Damn! My barrel's too big!

Post by IMALOSERSCUMBAG »

still_stirrin wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:38 am I don’t recommend using water to store casks when not filled with spirits. The water will tend to grow mold and that can ruin any future usage of a cask.

If nothing else, get some cheap liquor store wine and fill the cask with that. It’ll keep it swollen and keep the “critters” from growing inside. Plus, if you’re selective about the wine, it may actually improve the wood for when you get back to filling the cask with a spirit.

And for a long-stored (dry) cask, you’ll have to work to get it to hold liquid again. SBB gave you a good method for reswelling and (hopefully) sealing it again. In the end, you may just have to cut it up and use the wood in glass. Nothing more frustrating than a leaky barrel.
ss
I've used Campden tablets in the past when I didn't have anyting to put in my barrels. I also used a bottle of Jim Beam. The Beam is a bit more expensive but at least you don't dump it down the drain.

Now my problem is not enough barrels, especially since I'm transitioning to the 5 gallon ones.
AlWorms
Novice

Post by AlWorms »

Badmotivator wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:53 pm my research leads me to think that wax use is extensive in cooperage.
I have a box full of ex-Jack Daniels barrel cut into chunks, and you can easily see the wax in some spots - some is even quite thick, where the edge of the lid fitted into the groove in the staves.
n_plains_drifter
Swill Maker

Post by n_plains_drifter »

I'm happy to report that my Sisyphean challenge is complete. I now have 60 l of Jessie's laid down for the future.

My plan at this point is to start making some AG corn based whisky and hopefully have 20 some l ready for a 'swap' when I take the first fruits of my labor at some point 12 -18 months down the road.

Drifter
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

n_plains_drifter wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:44 pm I now have 60 l of Jessie's laid down for the future.
I know how much work that is , Ive got a 96L full of the same...its was a long haul.
n_plains_drifter
Swill Maker

Post by n_plains_drifter »

Salt,

Tip of the hat. Another 30+ l is a bunch. My boiler is only 30 l so my batch size was pretty limited. I can't say enough about UJSSM tho, it is tailor made for quick turns and volume production.

Best, Drifter